What wading sandals/shoes?

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
so its summer here now on being in my waders is just to hot! ive been going in my vans classics since the shoe is made out of canvas and they have holes in them so they dry quickly. BUT they have no grip at all as they are made for skating and not walking on slippery rocks (i almost died yesterday luckily im young and got cat like reflexes and balance). what sandals or shoes do yall like when its to hot to wear your waders? i dont mind spending >$80 but not much more than that. i need to buy fly tying stuff still and we only got a month and a half before it starts snowing again.

also another question. i know for snow gear the best time to buy is feb/march because everyone needs to get rid of the stock. is there a time like this for fly gear? where i can buy some wading sandals, tying gear, etc. on sale? or is it just luck to find things on sale?

comeonavs

Reaction score
Buy Simms gravel guard socks for around $30 and wear them with your regular boots that you wear with your stocking foot waders. I bought the Simms Rip Raps recently too and they are good, just dont plan on hiking far in them.

milt spawn

Reaction score
Here is what I do for summer wading: I use the light nylon zip off pants for protection against nettles, poison oak, and ivy. I wear my regular studded wading boots, but instead of neoprene socks I took an old pair of unrepairable waders and cut the booties off just above the attached gravel guards, then made about 10 razor slits in the bottom of each bootie for drainage. Sent the waders in for recycling. I found sandals and water shoes just don't offer enough protection, and let in too much sand and gravel. milt.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I have been using these, which I owned before I got into ff, I used them for wet caving, very durable and grip well. the neoprene keeps the foot from freezing if you get into colder water.
NRS Workboot Wetshoe at NRSweb.com

one thing I have to ask, is I am really thinking waders in my future just for the dry factor. after 4 hours + of standing in a creek my feet were RAW, any suggestions?

mike
ps, the work boot has fin bumps on the heel to keep fins on, might be handy if i get a float tube.

Vans

Reaction score
The last month or so i have just been using my regular wading boots(korkers) and the oft mentioned Simms neoprene wading socks. Works great.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Is there anything special about the oft mentioned Simms guard socks? Will they "perform" any better than a pair of $14 neoprene socks with the gravel guards I already have? You still have to wear a pair of socks inside them don't you -- to take up the extra space and not have that wet booty sliding on your ankle?

For the past few years I've just been wearing a couple pairs of heavy socks to take up the extra space inside my wading boots.

The reason I've been looking for a different set up is for the occasional 2-3 mile trail hike to get up a little creek in the late summer. My feet would not be happy if I wore my wading boots for a hike like that. I looked at Korker's seemed like a good idea with the changing soles and all, but the fact is, wading boots are NOT hiking boots.

My next search will be for a pair of decent but inexpensive, light weight hiking boots that will drain water. Then all I'll have to carry is an extra pair of dry wool socks for the walk out.

But, those NRS boots look pretty sweet...that is just what I've been looking for but didn't think they existed. If I could only find them to try them on first...

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
My next search will be for a pair of decent but inexpensive, light weight hiking boots that will drain water. Then all I'll have to carry is an extra pair of dry wool socks for the walk out.

But, those NRS boots look pretty sweet...that is just what I've been looking for but didn't think they existed. If I could only find them to try them on first...
thats what im kinda looking for. i may pick up a pair of the salmon mesh shoes since i can get them cheap. but those nrs do look sweet!

my wading boots are so uncomfortable! they are some of cabelas cheap boots that i bought this summer. im only cold for the first 5 min im in the water and then im fine. and the dirt doesnt bother me so prefer something other than my wading boots.

manderson2228

Reaction score
Buy Simms gravel guard socks for around $30 and wear them with your regular boots that you wear with your stocking foot waders. I bought the Simms Rip Raps recently too and they are good, just dont plan on hiking far in them.
I like this route too. I use them!