Sf bay

alfgraphics

Reaction score
I'm new to fly fishing and was wondering if anyone had any success on San Francisco Bay? I don't have a boat, so I'll be fishing from shore. I'm going to be using a 10/11 rod with a 10/11 Okuma SLV reel. Any other suggestions to get me started would be a great help. I don't know anyone else around here that fly fishes.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I'm mentioned in that other thread, but fishing SF Bay is not something that I do. If I look up some resources, I may be able to help you out. I usually defer to the guys at Leland since it is their backyard.

However, you may want to fish the beaches at Pacifica now. Use your 10 weight with a 400 to 450 grain shooting head to cut through the pounding surf. Chartreuse and white Clouser Minnows may hook you up with a large Striped Bass.

Make sure that you have a stripping basket.

Good luck with your search.

Dennis

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't live down there but here you can get a 'Tide Booklet' at any of the major sport shops. Saltwater fish move with the tides and generally the incoming tide from about 2 hours before high tide and from high tide until the action dies off are the best. I used to Live in coastal Virginia and fished the tides there and that was how things worked. Here in Alaska I fish the bays for salmon at times and the tides are key to finding fish. if there are river estuaries nearby, then as the tide rolls out the tide line between salt and fresh water may be good for some species.

A note about river estuaries, if they are muddy use caution when wading or even walking along the mud and silt as the tide is coming in. Some places the mud and silt can be like a suck mud type of stuff that will trap a person in deep sediment.

oarfish

Reaction score
Thank you. Does time a day make a lot of difference at Pacifica?
Not really but theres less wind earlier in the day. You don't want to fish during a slack tide, I like a incoming tide, The beach at Pacifica is not a bad place to start, also try from the old Sutro's Baths down to the Cilff House and farther down, theres lots of structure. There will be fisherman working around, look for some one tossing a fly. Right now theres lots of bait right on shore with lots of what ever feeding on them.

I've not fished the areas I mentioned for 25 years or more but did alot when I was a kid living in Pacifica. Be carefull.....

Rick

alfgraphics

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I might just hit some east bay beaches or marinas to practice some casting, before I make longer trips to the big water.