Hello from Fresno Cali!

haulingmario

Reaction score
I've been one of the lurking members for a few months learning from the many accomplished and knowledgeable people on the Fly Fishing forum so I thought it was about time I introduced myself...
My name is Mario I'm 54 years old have a nursery plant and a young Pistachio orchard just outside Fresno that keeps me quite busy.
I always enjoyed using flies since I was a kid and spin casting so I decided to become serious and combine the two this year.Been doing lots of practicing,neighbors must think I am insane fishing in my Pistachio orchard.:eek:
Ive been out fishing once so far this year but plan to again soon as my work winds down and the weather cools a bit in the valley,
Have a Sage Bass rod I got a few months back on sell and a second hand 5 weight trout rod too.My casting has improved since Ive been on this site and its made me more confident of my ability so I just wanted to thank everyone for their help.
Best regards,
Mario

Jimmie

Reaction score
:welcomean Mario.
You have a good Fly Fishing Club there in Fresno too. I attended some meetings when I lived up there.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Thanks for the post Mario, we always enjoy hearing from new members. Have you picked out a river or stream to the fly rod on yet? As jpbfly said, we want to hear about your first trip and if possible see some pics.

It is always trying the first time or two on the water with a fly rod, so please remember to wear eye protection and a hat. :shades:

Dave

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Hey Mario welcome to the board-- feel free to make yourself at home hete and ask questions if you've got 'em lot's of folks helpful folks here that are happy to share their knowledge ands experience.

And as Dave said-- we'd all enjoy hearing about your adventures, so keep us posted.

caseywise

Reaction score
welcome to the forum mario!
looking forward to hearing about your future fly fishing adventures:D:D

casey

ps - i love me some 'stacios:)

haulingmario

Reaction score
Everyone, Thanks for the kind welcome! You make this a great place to be a part of.
I will try to post some pictures from my next fishing trip.I've never caught a fish using a fly rod before so I'm looking forward to it.
My first trip this year was in June,in 105 degree heat and there was so much brush thick with thorns near some ponds I was fishing for bass,It was a bit demoralizing never got a bite...:( But I'm not deterred :D

Best regards!
Mario

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Lurker :D

I hope you will keep posting now and then so we know that you're still here. Good to have you on the board Mario,

Ard

FlyBum

Reaction score
Mario, :welcome: to the addiction. I look forward to reading about your adventures and hopefully pictures of fish you catch.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Mario,

I was born and raised in Fresno and understand the 105 degree temperatures.

You live in an area with abundant fly fishing and with a little searching you should find some fish. The hot Summer temperatures really effect the lower lakes. Pine Flat offers a lot of varied fishing but it is seasonal. The high Sierras was always my favorite and most enjoyable. The local fishing shops and the Fish and Game will be a big help.

Frank