Nymph Tie-Along?

Pocono

Reaction score
There’s been quite a lot of activity on some of the fly tying threads recently so I talked it over with Mark and we decided that it might be a good time to start up a Tie-Along.

For those of you who haven’t been members of previous Tie-Alongs, they work differently from swaps in some key areas.

First, you tie up only one of each of the patterns in the Tie-Along (or as many as you want for your own practice and fishing); there is no physical exchange of patterns among the members.

Second, you tie up only those patterns that you want to; nobody keeps score.

Third, there is no upper limit to the number of people that can participate in a Tie-Along.

Here’s how they work:

I’ll list the patterns for the Tie-Along today. Then I’ll post the materials one week before we start tying. Once we start tying, it will be one pattern every 2 weeks, with the materials posted one week before to allow you time to source them. Each pattern will be posted in a Step-By-Step (SBS) format. The SBS is meant to be a guide, but everyone is free to experiment around and to tie up the pattern as you chose to.

If you have access to a camera, then photo your flies after you tie them up and post them to the thread. If you don’t, then post a note to describe them to the rest of the Tie-Along members.

And that’s it! :)

For this swap, I thought it would be a good idea to stay with flies in the same category and since roughly 80% of what a trout eats comes from underwater, Nymphs seem like a good idea if you want to be catching fish come early Spring. The concept would be to start with some of the simpler Nymph patterns and then move on to the more challenging ones. That way each pattern will build skills that will make it easier to tie up the next one. We'll also stay with materials that are easy to source, so that you won't have to spend half your time sourcing materials for these patterns.

Here are the Nymph patterns that I’ll be putting into this Tie-Along; in the order that I plan to post them:

1. Pheasant Tail (PTN)
2. Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear (GRHE)
3. Chironomid
4. Scud
5. Prince
6. Copper John

Those patterns should give everyone a good start on Nymphs and will set the stage for you to go into the more complex Nymph patterns.

I plan to start up this Tie-Along on or around December 1st. With one pattern every two weeks and 6 patterns in all, we should be finished by the end of February.

So feel free to sign up and join in; beginner, intermediate and expert alike. We’ll all learn something along the way and it will be fun to share our experiences at the vise.

I'll list the Tie-along members on this first post, so that it will be easy for everyone to know who the other member are. I'll update it as the list grows.

1. bruce_m
2. madjoni
3. webrx
4. gatortransplant
5. Liphookedau
6. Jimmie
7. mcnerney
8. mudbug
9. Joni
10. s fontinalis
11. jimbojo
12. Kelkay
13. darwin
14. dean_mt
15. dave5977
16. williamhj
17. laurie
18. Flytier07
19. peregrines
20. smalliesrule
21. swirlchaser
22. seajay
23. popperfly
24. oarfish
25. whalensdad
26. futuramille
27. overefined
28. bigorunge
29. ted4887

Pocono

Last edited:
L

Liphookedau

I'll give this one a go as well,nearly ready to mail The Wets.
Brian.

Jimmie

Reaction score
I'd like to follow everyones tying then join-in when I get my furniture and tying materials from the mover's storage (approx. 1-2 months).

jimbojo

Reaction score
I am in, dont know if I'll have all my tying stuff together by then but I will follow along and jump in when I get everything together.

Jimbo

drlaser

Reaction score
ill be an observer for now my teachers are switching to omg its almost finals time mode so my classes are in overdrive

dean_mt

Reaction score
Heck yeah Allen, I wouldn't miss it after the last one you did! This list of nymphs is about all anyone needs.

I just picked up Ed Engle's "Tying Small Flies" so this will be a great way for me to practice some #20s and get some advice from the experts here.

Thanks Allan.