The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   storing gear for the winter? (https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/205889-storing-gear-winter.html)

TexUte Fly 11-15-2011 12:10 PM

storing gear for the winter?

do yall do anything special with your gear before you put it up? i have it all stored up but im wondering if i should do anything first. ive pulled the drag off of all my reels but maybe i should clean the lines? anything with the poles? flies, net etc?

dusty h 11-15-2011 12:21 PM

Re: storing gear for the winter?

I'd say pull it all back out and go fishing! The fish are still there. :)

gt05254 11-15-2011 12:25 PM

I'm a big fan of taking my fly lines off the reels, give them a 4-star cleaning and coating with Rio's coating, and looping them back up loosely and storing them in the dark in heavy duty ziplock bags, marked with a sharpie as to manufacturer and line weight designation. I have loops on the front end of all my lines, so its unnecessary to note which end attaches to backing. Were that a concern, I'd just snip off a little backing when I took the line off the spool to I.D. that end.
Gary

TexUte Fly 11-15-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty h (Post 348055)
I'd say pull it all back out and go fishing! The fish are still there. :)

ill be working 70 hour weeks on the mountain and any free time i have will be spent snowboarding. fish will still be there in march when night riding stops :D

o mykiss 11-15-2011 12:42 PM

during the winter, i have my fishing gear ready for above freezing temps.... if it's 34F and not snowing too terribly, i'm going fishing. :D

mikel 11-15-2011 02:11 PM

I don't put my stuff away, but do a clean up twice/yr. Once now (start of steelie season) and again in May, for the start of trouty time. I do clean and dress the last 30-40 feet of line on the water if it's not floating the way I like...

Lines: I just get a large bowl and fill it with warm soapy water. I'll strip all the line off a reel into the water and slosh it around a while, then rinse and dry the line with a soft cloth. The I treat the line with dresssing, wipe it again and wind it back on the reel.

Reels I open up, lub, clean and always try to store them with the drag fully released.

Rods I wipe down with a soapy rag and dry.

I have a dozen rods/reels or so...it's a 3 fat tire task. :)

-Mike

dusty h 11-15-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexUte Fly (Post 348059)
ill be working 70 hour weeks on the mountain and any free time i have will be spent snowboarding. fish will still be there in march when night riding stops :D

I hear you on that. I normally put in 50+ days on the mountain a year but i still manage to squeeze a few fly or ice fishing days in during the winter.