Galvan Rush: Drag Question

FrankB2

Reaction score
I could just bother the same 2-3 forum members, but I'm going to toss this one out to the whole forum. :D I just bought new Galvan Rush 4, and the out-going drag is "indexed". It's smooth, but there are clear tactile index clicks. I bought a Galvan OB-4 a few weeks ago, and that reel's drag is much smoother: no indexing out-going, and silent retrieve. Neither reel is machined as well as an Abel, so if you don't want to spend the $$$, don't try the best. The OB-4 was nice enough, but I'm a bit underwhelmed with the Rush.

P.S. I just re-read this post, and it might seem a bit harsh. I'm comparing the machining of a $200 reel with that of a $275 Abel...WAIT! That's not a big difference! Galvan's service is excellent, so please take that into account. The Rush is a decent reel, and better than the Sage 4540 I owned for an hour last month, but I was expecting a bit more. The Ross Evolution is a much smoother reel, but it's more expensive.

EDITED BECAUSE I LIKE THE RUSH NOW.... ;)

Last edited:

flying

Reaction score
I just checked out my new T6 and its the same way. I would have never noticed since I never use such light drag settings. What it feels like to me is a ball and spring with detents thats is used as a clicker. You can't have as fine of increments as you would with a pawl type clicker. I have a Evo 3.5 that feels the same but with more increments. I also have to turn the drag all the down to notice it also.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Alright! Now I can move on with life. :D I spoke with Carmen Galvan yesterday, but I had other business to discuss with her. This topic came up at the end of the conversation, and she said there should be a click. I didn't know if she was referring to the pawl, and I didn't specify the left/right ring.
THANKS!

FrankB2

Reaction score
Well, I finally was able to fish not only the Galvan Rush 4, but my freshly overhauled Galvan OB-4 today. The Rush is much more quiet on the water than it is while sitting at my desk, and performed flawlessy (albeit as a line holder today). I was able to catch two stocked rainbows (Whoppee... :rolleyes: ), but didn't need to get either fish on the reels: 3X tippet with a #10 Wooly Bugger.

Notes: The OB has a completely silent retrieve, and the Rush is louder coming in than going out. That's not saying the Rush is noisy at all, and is a little more quiet than a Ross Evolution. The OB has a nearly silent drag. Both reels are smooth to the point where I wouldn't need any more smoothness. While they share the same outside diameter (3.25"), the OB has great capacity. The OB's spool is about 1/8" wider than the Rush, and it's arbor isn't as large as the Rush's. While both reels are listed as 4/5, I was able to comfortably get a 4wt on the Rush, and a 5wt on the OB. A 5wt line on the Rush 4 would limit the amount of backing to nearly nothing. I like narrower spool reels, so the Rush works fine for its intended purpose. Both reels are well built and light: Rush 4 is 4.85oz, and the OB-4 is 4.95oz. The Rush has a much larger and easier to reach drag knob than the OB, but the OB's knob is not difficult to use at all. They're both fine reels, and I'd be hard pressed to have to say which one I like better. Both reels have a matte black finish, but not a chalky matte. More of what I'd call an eggshell finish, and it's very attractive. The knob is an hour glass shaped type, and very comfortable to use.

Galvan Customer Service: The OB-4 was sent in for evaluation a couple weeks ago, and they replaced the bearings, spindle, clutch ring, spool release button, and re-built the drag..all at NO CHARGE!!!! Not even a charge for return shipping. I spoke to Carmen Galvan on the phone twice, and she was very helpful, patient, and friendly.

I'd highly recommend either (although the OB has been dicontinued, they are still available new if you look around). The Galvan Torque and Rush same the same drag system, but the Torque is more machined to save weight. The weight savings is minimal, however, and the difference is .3oz in the #4 size. The Rush was on my 8'6" 4wt Sage ZXL, and the OB on my 5wt Z-Axis. Both reels were noticeably lighter than the reels I've been using for the past several months, and I wouldn't need any less weight on the butt end of either rod. Just keep in mind that you might want to consider line ratings for the Rush very carefully. I have a minimum amount of backing on the reel, and get 1/8-1/4" of clearance with a 4wt weight foward line. That amount is what I consider safe with a wider spool reel, and would prevent jamming if not overly careful while retrieving line. A double taper 4wt would require a single layer. Once again, not a problem. I bought this as a 4wt reel, and use weight foward lines.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Frank,

Chi flyfisher turned me onto Galvan Reels and I boy am I glad! I was in the market for a new 3wt reel and was hoping to find a Spring Creek like the one he had but they were gone, despite the fact that the shop still had them listed. They gave me a Rush 3 for $50 off for the inconvenience. How could I pass this up? I have yet to throw loops with it, but what a sweet little reel!

I then found another Galvan that I couldn't pass up...a T6 from a private seller. I've landed Steelies on that on and man is that one smooth and solid drag!

Hard to say which is best with them, their customer service or their products. I really don't think there is a bad Galvan choice out there.

Congrats on your purchases, here's to putting them to good use!

FrankB2

Reaction score
Moscapescador, Frank Whiton, Bigfly, and others all had very good things to say about Galvan. I really like these reels. Their fit and finish is not on the same level as an Abel, but if you've never handled an Abel, you'd probably think the Galvan is 100%.

Rush vs. Torque: The Torque seems to get all the press, but Carmen Galvan told me that both reels have identical drag systems. Why spend an extra $100 for a reel that is simply a bit lighter? The Rush is the nicer looking reel IMO...

jaybo41

Reaction score
I've handled Abels but have not fished them. Chi flyfisher has several of them, and they are incredibly machined pieces of equipment, borderline works of art. Still, Galvan makes one heckuva nice reel in my opinion and I'm hooked on them.

The drag is butter smooth and is the same between the Rush and Torque, but don't take my word over Carmen's! lol The difference is weight, which for larger rigs may make a difference if you're casting all day. The photos of the Rush I've seen on the net REALLY don't do it the justice it deserves. Enjoy it Frank!

Bigfly

Reaction score
Frank, glad you are done shopping and can go fishing!
Galvans are nicely machined in the US. With home spun people in charge, instead of a corporation...
But mostly, the drag just breaks a fishes heart.....
To answer your question about money and weight; here, we often need extra backing to chase a fish in heavy water. So go up one size at least on a reel. Eg. 4-5, 6-7.
Allows you to use a "heavier" reel on a lighter rod, but keeps it balanced.
I use a T-8 on my 6wt switch, for clearance with fat lines. I think it balances well. It might be a little too heavy with a heavier 8wt reel.
For me, function rules over price.

Maybe cut a little off, the back end, of your wt forward line. Gives you a little more room between the OB-4 reel frame and line. But keep all your backing.:)

Jim

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Jim,
I'm going to have to go out West one of these days. Tales of fish going into the backing are pretty much just a dream in Pennsylvania. The only time I went into my backing while fishing, was when I dropped a spool in the middle of a river. I was wading chest deep, and the only way to retrieve the spool was to pull on the backing until I reached the arbor knot. That was back in the days when I put 200 yards of backing on a reel. Now I'm happy with an 1/8" coating of any old backing. :D

My wife has line stacking issues (reels all the line onto one side of the spool), so when I buy skeletal type of reels, I get the 3.5" diameter sizes for 4 and 5wt lines. Her Galvan OB-4 hold much more line than the Rush 4, and she was using the OB this afternoon. No fish, but no line stacking problems either. ;)

I could fully understand how weight becomes an issue with the larger sizes, but haven't looked at the charts to compare the Rush and Torque in sizes over #5. Sounds like Friday night fun.... :D

jaybo41

Reaction score
Frank,

Excellent informative write up on the Galvan Rush you posted in Gear Reviews, I just noticed this today. Thanks for giving me something to chew on while sipping my coffee this AM.

So there are 2 versions of the Rush Reel if I'm reading and researching correctly. The Rush and the Rush LT--the difference being the 3 spoke frame much like the OB Series versus the cut out frame on the original Rush.

Assuming Leland has the specs for the Rush Series on their website from Galvan vs. the specs from Galvan's website on the RLT...

What's interesting is the reported differences in weight. The R4 is listed at 4.9oz and the R4LT is listed at 4.8--same width on the spool.

The R8 on the other hand gets a more noticeable difference in weight. R8 @ 8.0oz, R8LT 7.6oz.

I kind of like the aesthetics of the original Rush (especially on closeout!), as you mentioned. However, for larger rigs, such as a 7, 8, 9 for Salmon/Steelies I would think the modest weight reduction of the RLT series might win me over. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or buy either version. I really liked Mosca's comment in another thread about how they put their soul into their reels. The Galvan family makes wonderful products and stands behind them.

Bigfly

Reaction score
The Galvans have done right by me.
Tech tip, the R-8 spool is interchangeable with the T-8. Same drag..

Jim

jaybo41

Reaction score
Sorry to ask such a noob question, but what does it mean when you say you didn't need to get either fish on the reels?
The only stupid questions are the ones not asked Quimby. No worries, we've all got to learn one way or another right?

What Frank means is that he didn't have to fight the fish by using the drag on the reels. Probably just a few turns to get the line in and a little bit of leverage of the rod is all it took. Smaller fish rarely require the need to lock down the drag to prevent them from making a run and ripping out line. Hope that helps explain your question.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Quimby, if you hook up with a big fish, and you have slack line lying around, it may tangle up on a fast run and you'll lose the fish (A loop of line can catch the reel handle, or rod butt very easily). So, anytime it's a fish too big to just strip in, you get it on the reel toot-sweet. I have my drag set a little loose to start with, so start up force doesn't break the leader. I tighten up the drag as needed during the fishes run. You could figure this out over time, but it's better to ask...

Jim

marty mcfly

Reaction score
For what its worth, I have a Galvan Rush 3 on a little 2/3 weight rod I bought this fall. It is only the second fly reel I ever bought. My first reel was/is an Orvis Batenkill that I bought for like $80. The Orvis is fine and does the job.

My Galvan blows the Battenkill out of the water. I realize the Galvan is a $220 reel and it might not be a fair comparison but I wish someone had given me a good quality reel, like my Galvan, to check out before I wasted $80. I simply never knew what a night and day difference there is between entry level fly reels and well crafted, machined reels. Seriously, I could put that Galvan under my pillow every night. Using my Battenkill now feels like i am winding a string around a rock compared to the Galvan.

I haven't had the Galvan long enough to comment on its durability but it appears very well made and the drag on mine is like butter. I like the feel of the subtle indexing on the drag knob. It is still infinitely adjustable and gives me the feeling of confidence that it won't inadvertently loosen or unscrew. I also can't compare it to some of the famously elite reels but I honestly have a hard time imagining that they would be so much better as to warrant the price jump. Just my 2 cents.

Just so there is no confusion, I have no connection with Galvan...I am just happy to pass on some information from my experience.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I have a pair of Galvin Torques on the shelf and I've been pretty with them so far (only two seasons). I'm a little bias when it comes to anything under a 7wt reel. The machining, finish, and drags are nice but I can honestly say I've never really had to test the drag on anything below a 7. The only time I even worry about a drag is when I'm targeting 20+lb fish. That task is left to my 8wts and better. Ocassionally I'll fish a 7wt if wind permits but most of my 3-6wt reels are just basic line holders.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Yvonne and I have used the drag on 4 and 5 weight rods quite a bit. We are avid bluegill anglers during the summer months (when smallmouth fishing gets slow), but sometimes a beat comes along...
20"+ Catfish caught in a fast moving stream on a 4wt rod:

Yvonne caught another catfish the next day, only it was slightly larger. I definitely cranked down the drag on both fish.

I was fishing a 4wt for little smallmouth, and caught this guy in the same fast moving stream:

That was in July, and that stream has a lot of pumpkinseed, bluegill, rock bass, green bass, channel cats, and big and small smallmouth. I could use a 5/6wt in case a 16" snmallmouth takes my #12 bugger, but most of the time we're catching fish under 12 inches.

Fishing for stocked trout (10-12"), I hooked into this beast with a 5wt:

I was VERY grateful to have my Galvan OB-4 and its drag to tame that beast!
I hadn't been able to catch anything that afternoon, and went to a spot where I knew there might be crappie. Surprise!!! :D

April 7, 2009: I was fishing for stocked trout, and caught this on my 5wt.

I was using a little Wooly Bugger on 4X tippet, and that fish made several runs. The drag was used. ;)

Earlier that year, I was fishing the local stream to see if the bluegill were biting. Mt #10 Green Weenie made an abrupt stop, and then line began peeling of my Orvis BBS III's reel. After several LONG runs, I landed this channel cat on a 4wt with 4X tippet:

I had a click/pawl reel and a 4wt rod in hand just before hurricane whatever hit during the first week of September this year. I wanted to fish my favorite stream, and hoped to catch a few decent smallmouth (10-12"). I was using a #12 Wooly Bugger, and caught was having fun catching pumpkinseed. My line was jerked with that all too familiar way a good smallmouth takes a fly, and a battle royale began. The stream narrows in this section from 200 feet down to 30 feet, and creates quite a stiff current. The smallmouth immediately peeled off all the line it wanted, but I finally got my palm on the spool rim. Getting line back on the reel was tough, and that fish made several brutal runs. Having a soft 4wt rod didn't help much when trying to turn the fish, and I had to make sure it didn't get into that narrow whitewater stretch. I was using 3X tippet, so I wasn't too afraid of breaking him off by palming, but palming was made difficult due to me chasing the fish in fast deep water, and that looming chute just 10 yards downstream. I was able to get the smallmouth to within 15 feet of my rod tip, and it was bigger than anything I've ever seen in person! It was moving downstream, and when it was just a few feet from that whitewater chute, I simply grapped the rod's handle. The fish jumped like a tarpon, flopped onto its back, and spit the hook. I was convinced that if I had a real drag system, I could have focused more on keeping the fish out of the current, and landed it. Having caught several smallmouth in the 16 and 17 inch range, I can assure you that this beast was well over 20 inches. A true trophy, and not something we see too often in Pennsylvania. The water rose 18 feet during the hurricane, and when the flood subsided, I went back armed with 5 and 6 wt rods, and a disc drag reel. While I did catch a decent number of 10-12 inch smallmouth, the beast was nowhere to be found. The fight lasted for what seemed like an hour, and just being able to battle that fine fish was something I won't forget for years.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I really liked Mosca's comment in another thread about how they put their soul into their reels. The Galvan family makes wonderful products and stands behind them.
Jaybo41: I couldn't agree more. A couple years ago I bought a user Galvan OB-5 reel off EBay and about six months later the drag started sticking and I was having issues with the drag adjustment. I called Galvan, told them about the problem and that I had bought the reel used off EBay. They said send it in, which I did, fully expecting to pay for the service. When the reel came back repaired, there was no charge. I'm definitely impressed with Galvan's customer service!