Midge Swap #2 for those that didn't get in the 1st one

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Our Midge swap filled up really fast and it seems like there were a lot of folks that would have liked to participate but it filled up before they could get their names in... So...

How about another Midge Swap, with preference given to folks that got shut out of our last one?

For this one since we have 14 swappers please tie up 13 flies instead of the usual 12 -- that way everyone will get back 13 flies ( one from each of the other tyers)

Due date Feb 10, 2012....

1. Webrx - Rainbow Glass Bead Chromie - RECEIVED
2. Pocono - Copperhead Midge RECEIVED
3. La_jolla1 - Gray Duster Variant #20 RECEIVED
4. williamhj - RECEIVED
5. kayo - Biot Midge size 18 RECEIVED
6. dadalo
7. Famil00 - Marc-O-Midges #22 RECEIVED
8. s fontinalis - Al's Rat size 20 - RECEIVED
9. gatortransplant Blue Joni's Midge RECEIVED
10. Darwin - Black KF Emereger #20 - RECEIVED
11. Mcnerney - Iceman Midge Pupa - RECEIVED
12. Stimulator2 - Mosquito Pupa RECEIVED
13. Mudbug RECEIVED
14. Laurie - RECEIVED

(Everyone on the wait list of folks in the 1st midge swap that wanted to be in this one too are in.)

Last edited:

peregrines

Reaction score
Great guys, so far we have 3 that got locked out of the 1st midge swap-- and a bunch for the 1st midge swap that want in on this one too-- (let's give other folks a few more days to sign up then we'll fill it up from the wait list).

webrx

Reaction score
Thanks for doing a second one Mark, I will tie one of these, I don't really care which, so whatever everyone else ties, I can do something different, or you all can pick the one I tie. I don't tie real fancy ones, and only tie a few named ones, but they all work. I am partial to the black tungsten beads (but I have 13 left that will fit a size 16 hook so just enough), or the rainbow glass bead heads (these have to be a little bigger because of the bead size I think I can tie in 14 but will double check)

Chromie (red wire), Chromie (gold wire), Red with Silver with gills, red with silver tan wing, red headed zebra, zebra with tan wing, brown and gold with glass bead head, brown and gold with no bead.

Or I could do one of these for this swap

Glass Bead Chromie

d

Last edited:

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Started tying a few last night.....

#20 dai-riki
Whiting silver badger hackle

williamhj

Reaction score
Is there an estimated due date for these? It's gonna be a busy couple weeks, but I'm interested.

I don't know if this is technically a midge, but it's something I like tying. If it looks like it'll work I'll be in. I'll tie them in 20's (and a bit more cleaned up) either weighted or unweighted.

webrx

Reaction score
I don't know if this is technically a midge
Looks pretty midgey to me ;)

I think I have decided to tie up some glass bead chromies for this swap. I will tie them a little tighter then the photo, I didn't notice the loose wraps in the tail until I posted the pics.

d

dadalo

Reaction score
I'd like to join in on this one - although I haven't selected a fly yet.

dadalo

Reaction score
I'm gonna plunk for Al's Rat size 20 if i get in on this one again.
All the proposals look great so far.
The midges are definitely bringing out great examples of tying.

peregrines

Reaction score
Great folks -- you're all in, including everyone on the wait list

Dadalo-- welcome to the forum, glad you found us and jumped in on this swap.

willamhj- that looks very midge like to me too--

Kayo- here's a sticky that explains how the fly swaps work: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/3516-fly-swap-guidelines.html

All- let's give it a few more days to see who else jumps in (2 more places open). I know folks will be anxious to fish these this winter, and hopefully they shouldn't be too difficult to tie-- so hopefully we can have quick turnaround on this one.

Let me know what you think of a due date of Jan 30 2012 or if that's too soon how about Feb 10, 2012?

Number of votes decides it....

I'll send my address to everyone in the swap via PM next week. If we fill up and get 13 swappers then if everyone ties 12 flies, you'll each get 12 flies back (1 from each of the other tyers). ( In the event someone drops out or we get less than 13 tyers in the swap, I'll divide the flies up evenly so everyone gets 12 flies back (1 from each of the other tyers plus however many randomly selected duplicates needed to get to 12 flies).

As always I'll send folks a PM when their flies arrive so you'll know they made it and will update this swap thread when flies from you are received, and will post pics and recipes after the swap is completed.

kayo

Reaction score
Thanks Mark

I'll be tying the Olive WD-40 Biot Midge #18

chuck

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
Mark,

I'll take the 12th slot - if it's still open......

If you're still open, then Feb 10th works fo me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoops - if I'd read your first post carefully, I would have found myself already on the list - thanks Mark!

Pocono

stimulator2

Reaction score
I'll jump in on the 13th spot if its still open and Feb.10 is great for me. I'll tie a Mosqueto Larva..

la_jolla1

Reaction score
An alternative could be the following

Thread black
Black goose biot
Red brassie wire
peacock herl thorax
Tail and gills: cream rooster hackle