Allen and Co Fly Line

FlyBum

Reaction score
Well I'm getting ready to purchase a couple Allen XL reels and am wondering if anyone is using their fly line and if it compares to Wonderline or any of the other highend fly lines out there?

Its been a while since I've used a fly rod and my sons first time will be toward the end of the month so I don't want to by line that's going to be frustrating to use.

Its been nearly 10 years since I've fly fished and I do not remember would a wf or dt floating line be best for a beginner and someone starting over again or does it matter?

Also for fishing NorCal rivers and streams for a sinking line should I get a slow sinking or..?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I can't comment on Allen products. I am sure that someone could give you guidance.

WF or DT? Creek rod (4 wt and under) - DT. General purpose rod (4 and up) - WF.

For Northern California rivers and streams, you can get by with a floating line. For swinging buggers, leeches, or soft hackles, you may want to lean towards sink tip lines. You will have the sinking ability of sink lines and the line control of floating lines. For smaller rivers (think Truckee), you may want to choose a line with a 15 foot sinking tip. For larger rivers (think Yuba), you may want to choose a line with a 24 foot sinking tip.

The sink rate will be dependent on the flow and the depth that you want to effectively fish. You will need to do your homework on how the flows are to figure out the sink rate that you will fish.

MP

seajay

Reaction score
Now I am far from an expert on fly lines. I just spooled my 6 wt. cheap combo with a Allen WF6F Line. I can tell a major difference from the factory line that was on it. I am sure it was just a cheap 5wt level line. Just the feel of the new line was smooth and slick.I was able to increase my casting distance and the rod felt more responsive in the cast. Being new to this for the price it is a great start. Will I upgrade soon ? When I have more knowledge of fly fishing components IE Line and Rods. Yes for I am a Tackle Ho. I also love to Surf fish and pitch baits on light tackle in the S/W Creeks. I yes I am very good at it. So for a newbie start slow and easy then once you learn; spend the money for the elite products and you will know how to make it work for you.

greatcanadian

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently purchased Allen fly line and can say I am very impressed. However, it was spooled on a new reel, and a new rod, so I cannot reliably compare it with my other lines YET in it's casting traits because I have not used other lines on this same rod and reel. However, I also have a new spool of Cortlannd 444 classic in the same weight and taper. I intend to replace the Allen line with this just for a comparison. My belief is that I am going to be quite satisfied with the Allen line. At that price, I can buy a new spool every year and still be money in. One thing i can guarantee you is that the Allen fly line is WAAYYYYY better than the price would indicate. I already have recommended it to everyone i fly fish with. I will not be paying big money for the expensive lines any more. Next up, an Allen Trout Series Reel.

Last edited:

boser

Reaction score
I have Allen Flyline on 5 rods (3,5,7,8 wt) and really like it. I dont mind paying 14 bucks for fly line as opposed to 40-80 bucks when there is virtually no difference that I can see....I may someday try some Sharkskin but the Allen is working great so far...

Boser

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Hi,
I recently purchased Allen fly line and can say I am very impressed. However, it was spooled on a new reel, and a new rod, so I cannot reliably compare it with my other lines YET in it's casting traits because I have not used other lines on this same rod and reel. However, I also have a new spool of Cortlannd 444 classic in the same weight and taper. I intend to replace the Allen line with this just for a comparison. My belief is that I am going to be quite satisfied with the Allen line. At that price, I can buy a new spool every year and still be money in. One thing i can guarantee you is that the Allen fly line is WAAYYYYY better than the price would indicate. I already have recommended it to everyone i fly fish with. I will not be paying big money for the expensive lines any more. Next up, an Allen Trout Series Reel.
Great C, you will love that Trout series reel, I just recieved mine about a week ago. WOW, really nice.

Boser

greatcanadian

Reaction score
Well, I lied about the Trout series. I ordered the new XL for my 6 weight. I need another 8 weight and will be getting the Trout series for that one.

boser

Reaction score
great, I wouldnt consider it a lie, you just changed your mind. We still have that right. Ha!

I dont have an XL just Alpha's and the Trout. I think that Trout is a really nice reel. The larger arbor will let me load more backing if and when I need it...

Boser

imxer

Reaction score
Boser

After receiving my "Trout" reel, am looking forward to whatever else Justin has up his sleeve. If there is a better value out there, I welcome having it pointed out to me.

Imxer