2 interesting casting videos by Lasse Karlsson

wjc

Reaction score
Here are a couple of cool videos in slow motion that Lasse Karlsson did recently. Those of you who fish relatively long lines might be interested in them and those who fish glass rods may be too.

He is casting two rods in the same hand, a Sage TCX and a Berkeley 75% fiberglass?25% graphite mix. They are taped together and he's holding both handles but has his finger between them to they don't bang together during counterflex and rebound.

Notice the difference in the loop shape on the un-hauled cast in the first video, and then compare it to the loop shape in the second video.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/35513634]Bendy vs. stiff on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame=http://vimeo.com/35524148]Bendy vs. stiff with a haul on Vimeo[/ame]

Cheers,
Jim

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I think on of the most interesting parts of these videos is the slack between the reel, or his hand and the first stripper guide on the 'bendy' rod. Trying to cast so you avoid that slack seems to as much the caster as it is the rod if I am interpreting this right. In fact in the first video there is an amazing amount of slack induced in the line. Very interesting videos. Thanks for posting them.

For those members who don't know who Lasse Karlsson is, he is one of the best distance casters on the planet.

pegboy1

Reaction score
I think this lends perfectly to my statement a couple months back that lower frequency/modulus rods are much more cumbersom or tiring on a long day of casting. Think of all the energy expanded fighting the inertia of the glass rod as opposed to the TCX. :eek:

Jackster

Reaction score
These are about what I expected to see... a lot of bounce from the whimbly rod if he used the same stroke that makes a stiff rod sing.
That is a neat exercize though. Thanks for the vids.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Normally you wouldn't use the same casting stroke with a glass rod that you would with the plastic. Hence the excessive tip bounce.
What surprised me most was that the loops were that similar, at least in the "non-haul" video.

Last time I saw one of those Berkley rods, they had a trash can full of 'em at Walmart marked down to $7. Those XTC rods are closer to $800

swirlchaser

Reaction score
The loops are similar but if you watch the second cast on the first video you can see the difference in the line speed. Watch the tips of the lines pass over his head on the second cast. It's tough to judge but I think one line is a good 3-4' ahead of the other one.
It's excellent proof that while holding on to the basics we still need to modify our cast to the rod we're casting. Great videos!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jim: Very interesting videos. The tip bounce in the Berkeley rod is just amazing along with the shock waves it causes in the line as it runs out.

wjc

Reaction score
Dan,

Yeah, I noticed the slack, especially in the beginning, and remembered the video he did on release timing with the light.

If you remember, when he released the line right at the first "Rod straight Position" the line marker he was holding in his hand immediately began shooting toward the guides. When he released just miliseconds later, during counterflex, the line marker just stayed there for what seemed like a very long time before shooting toward the guides. The more the counterflex, the longer the line just sits there.

In this video, the stripping guides are in two widely different places (one very close to his hand, and one way up the rod) with rod leg tension beginning at two different times due to the massive counterflex of the glass rod and wider initial loop.

But the loop shapes in the first video were round for both rods. In the hauled video, they were "rising" loop shapes (shaped like a carpenter's chisel viewed from the side with the ground edge on the bottom).

Both the floppy rod and the high modulous rod threw the identical loop shape- with and without the haul. And in the second video ,with the haul, the floppy rod loop was continuing to morph into a narrower "rising" loop as it went out of the frame. I would speculate that by the time both loops were close to turnover, they would be very nearly identical in size and shape.

My point is that double hauling seems to affect loop shape more even than the rod - even when the same casting stroke is used with both rods. At least that variable would be hard to debate in that video. :D

Edit

Since posting this, I have posed the following questions to Lasse:

Thanks for another great video, Lasse.

So would you attribute the change in loop shape between the two videos from round to a "rising" loop shape to the haul?

Or would you attribute it primarily to line speed ?

Or to a combination of an increase in line speed greater than the increase in counterflex ?

Or to something else entirely?

Or am I totally off base here altogether?

I will let you know what he has to say.

Last edited:

BigCliff

Reaction score
Jim: Very interesting videos. The tip bounce in the Berkeley rod is just amazing along with the shock waves it causes in the line as it runs out.
Yeah, I'd rather see the comparison done with a soft/slow rod that doesn't suck.