Hello from Central Illinois

Jasonbu

Reaction score
Hello! Have been Fly Fishing for 6 weeks now. Have absorbed some good advice from the forums, Thanks.

My wife says I'm already addicted. Have been to Cabelas Fly Shop in Hazlewood 6 times in the last 6 weeks (1.5 hour drive one way). I work everyday at 8:00am, so I go Fly Fishing 3 mornings per week from 6:45 till 7:50. Lunch break, yep, 30 extra minutes of casting time.

Bill and Taylor have been a great help at the Hazlewood Cabelas in MO.

Started out with a Sage FLI 490-4, Lamson Radius 1.5, and a Joan Wulff instructional DVD. My casting has been ok. Distance is good, but loops aren't as tight as they need to be, and tailing loops have knotted a few too many leaders.

I went back to the Cabelas Fly Shop and casted 3 different 3 weight rods, Sage FLI, Sage Launch, and El Cheapo TFO Signature Series One. Much to my surprise, I just couldn't put the TFO down.

I left the store with my new TFO, spent 30 minutes casting back at home and my general casting has improved at least 300%. I think it's just the way the TFO loads up. I can feel everything so much better. My loops are nice and tight (at least most of the time), put a smile on my face.

I will be snooping around the forums soaking up info, thanks again guys...

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Jasonbu,

Welcome to the forum. You seem to be off to a good start. You are lucky to have a store where you can try different rods. The TFO rods are really hard to beat for a beginner.

Frank

BigCliff

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! I agree that you are off to a great start and also that some of the TFO rods are tough to beat.

Looking forward to your contributions!