Proper Killing

arcvrist

Reaction score
So i caught my largest bass today, somewhere just under a pound. I took it home and had a hard time deciding on the best way to kill it. Im aware of a vein behind the gills but never had any practice with that. I ended up cutting the head off as quick as I could with my 10" chef knife. Im wondering how you guys go about it. I also saw a technique for brain spiking on youtube, but not sure if that works on smaller fish.

Thanks

mbphotos54

Reaction score
i try to keep fish alive till time to fillet.. over in Germany I got this tiny lil baseball bat for wacking fish on the head,, it was mandatory at the pay lake,, Though.. I am guilty of having a flopping fish half way filleted... but thats been along time. I rarly keep fish.
Mike

caseywise

Reaction score
Cutting the head off might make filleting a tad harder. I just bang them on the noggin and put them in a cooler of ice. Once they are cooled off they fillet easier anyway. Are you good at filleting by the way? If not I can talk you through it.

what dan said. a nice whack to the back of the neck and ice.
my dad does the red salmon dip net harvest every summer on the kasilof river in alaska, and he has a little orange hard rubber club that they use.
i know that hardy makes a ''priest", as rip mentioned
Hardy Fly - Products - Accessories - Tools - Priest

casey

williamhj

Reaction score
That's called a "priest". I don't even want to know why ;)
The 'why', I believe, is because it's used to give the last rites to the fish. Thankfully when I've seen the sacrament administered to patients, it's much more gentle and has a different effect.

wjc

Reaction score
Once they are cooled off they fillet easier anyway.
They definitely filet way, way easier when cold. When you get them so cold they are stiff and have to be physically bent to loosen them up , that's perfect.