Redington Crosswater vs Redington Pursuit for beginner?

brewskier

Reaction score
I currently have this setup. 8'6" 4wt Trout Stalker rod.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Trout-Stalker-Complete-Outfit/dp/B000X62HW0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1339549485&sr=8-10&keywords=stone+creek+fishing"]Amazon.com: The Trout Stalker - Complete Fly Rod & Reel Outfit from Stone Creek: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KBAHZYKCL.@@AMEPARAM@@41KBAHZYKCL[/ame]

I am in search of a 5 wt rod, simply because I think I will have an easier time casting in a breeze than I do with my 4 wt. both of these Redington rods are apparently good for beginners... one is a moderate action, while the other is "fast action". Both are about the same cost.

Which one is recommended? Looking to fish for rainbow and brook trout mainly.

Thank you

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Crosswater rod has a one year warranty. Redington is very strict on that.

The Pursuit rod has a lifetime warranty.

If you are thinking long time use, buy the one with the better warranty. When or if you break the rod, you will be glad that you have a lifetime warranty.

brewskier

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Crosswater rod has a one year warranty. Redington is very strict on that.

The Pursuit rod has a lifetime warranty.

If you are thinking long time use, buy the one with the better warranty. When or if you break the rod, you will be glad that you have a lifetime warranty.
Would a fast action rod be good for a beginner though? I'm still working on my casting.

Maybe I should just stick with the one I have for the time being. A 4 wt does decent.

Good point on the warranty though. I definitely wouldn't mind the extra $20 for a lifetime warranty.

williamhj

Reaction score
Some say a faster rod works better in wind. I'd go with the warranty too, my brother broke his Ross tip for the 4th time :shocking: . But since he got a great warranty with it, they'll replace it yet again.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The Pursuit rod is not that fast compared to other rods. It actually is very forgiving.

If you feel it is too fast for you, the rod can always be slowed down by using a heavier line.

Dennis

brewskier

Reaction score
The Pursuit rod is not that fast compared to other rods. It actually is very forgiving.

If you feel it is too fast for you, the rod can always be slowed down by using a heavier line.

Dennis
That's good to hear.

I've eliminated the Crosswater from my list of choices.... would the Classic Trout model be a good upgrade from the Pursuit? It's moderate-fast action from what I gather. It's a decent amount more than the Pursuit combo, though.

wabi

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't mind the extra $20 for a lifetime warranty.
You would also have to send $30. with the returned rod for repair/replacement, so if you broke it it would actually be costing $50. for the warranty. ;)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
You would also have to send $30. with the returned rod for repair/replacement, so if you broke it it would actually be costing $50. for the warranty. ;)
And when your rod is out of its warranty period, you are out of a rod.

I guess that's not so bad if you want a new rod anyways.

Dennis

brewskier

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Would the Classic Trout be better than the Pursuit?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Maybe. It will depend on what you want out of the rod.

Slower stroke? Classic Trout

Softer dry fly presentation? Classic Trout

More forgiving on casting mistakes? Classic Trout

Quicker stroke? Pursuit

Easier pick up and shoot? Pursuit

Throwing a payload (weighed down indofloatabobbicator rigs, heavier flies, bulky flies)? Pursuit

Give these factors a thought or two.

Dennis

roloc

Reaction score
I am a little late to the party here but Redington just sent me the purist to review for my newbie fly fishing blog and I just spent some time with it on the water this morning.

Here are some (poor) pictures of it and some of the fish I caught.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109248838109621849681/RedingtonReview

Overall I was pleased with it for a beginner rod. I had the same complaints with it that I do most of these outfits. For me it was a little heavy but you can't expect much for a < $200 combo. The leader is absolute ****, I suggest you throw it away and start with something new. It was a 5x leader and I had three fish lost from the leader itself snapping (not my tieing I swear...)

But overall I give it the thumbs up and would recommend it for a beginner, the case is nice the reel and rod are balanced (although heavy) and the action I thought was in the "medium" range which is good for a beginner.

Just my two cents... I did tare it up on a hopper this morning... god I love catching a dozen fish and then at my desk early for the day job!

Last edited:

tridentfly

Trident Fly Fishing
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I actually really like the CT rods (though, I've only fished the 2wt). I haven't compared them side by side with the Pursuit, but they are lighter and will more fun to fish imho.

For a little extra $, you should also consider the Winston Passport and the TFO BVK.