Floating and Fishing

dennis_t

Reaction score
About how far on average can you float while fishing in say an hour? I know there would be a lot of variables but I just need a ballpark figure. Thanks

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dennis: That is a tough question, but in general I think it really all boils down to the speed of the current you are fishing in and whether or not you are stopping to fish or rowing back up current to re-fish good looking seams. Normally I will float from 7-10 miles in a day of float fishing, but that means getting out (where legal) and fishing a nice tailout or some other good looking spot or possible moving the boat out of the current and rowing back up stream to fish over a nice seam several times and of course stopping for lunch in some slack water. So on average I'd say about a mile/hour, but like I say it all depends on the current and how your fishing.

The other day I fished with Davo on his boat on the South Fork of the Snake, we put in at the boat ramp at South Fork Lodge and floated all the way through the canyon section to Byington which is 26 miles, but that is a big river and the flow was right at 10,000 CFS. We put in around 10 am and took out about 7 pm.