Looking to upgrade from a Dogwood Canyon 8'6'' #5 need advice

bass2187

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to upgrade from a Dogwood Canyon 8'6'' #5. I have had this fly rod for a number of years now and like it very much, but I have been wondering lately if I would enjoy a "better" rod. My problem is that the dogwood is really the only fly rod I have ever used and don't really have any experience with other rods, therefor, I am not particularly sure what I should be looking for in a upgrade rod. I've been mostly using the fly rod to fish stocker trout in the interior highlands(Ozarks and Ouachita mountains), but also really like fishing panfish with small poppers.

I am also willing to spend around $300 for a new rod.

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction and any advice in to what to be on the look out for, i would be highly appreciative.

Mike

BigCliff

Reaction score
I bet you would. I used to work at BPS and would try to steer folks away from those because they were so heavy and floppy. Hopefully yours is better than the dogs I occasionally sold.

Some options are Echo's $99 Solo or $149 Carbon rods- fairly light and powerful

Redington's $149 CT series- more moderate action, VERY fishy

TFO's BVK rods at $229- very light, very crisp, plenty of power

bass2187

Reaction score
I bet you would. I used to work at BPS and would try to steer folks away from those because they were so heavy and floppy. Hopefully yours is better than the dogs I occasionally sold.

TFO's BVK rods at $229- very light, very crisp, plenty of power
I kinda agree with the rod being kind of floppy, but like I said I do not have much experience with other rods and what a "good" one really feels like. I do notice the rod has some trouble with distance, as well as throwing things with an indicator at much distance.

I'm glad you pointed out the TFO BVK rods to me. They seem really nice based on reviews. Have any comments on the Sage Vantage or Winston Passport rods?

Thanks

BigCliff

Reaction score
I kinda agree with the rod being kind of floppy, but like I said I do not have much experience with other rods and what a "good" one really feels like. I do notice the rod has some trouble with distance, as well as throwing things with an indicator at much distance.

I'm glad you pointed out the TFO BVK rods to me. They seem really nice based on reviews. Have any comments on the Sage Vantage or Winston Passport rods?

Thanks
I've not cast either, but Sage is really good at making their beginner rods easy to cast, and the Passport rods are quite highly reviewed. I'm 90% sure that Sage is USA made and that Winston isn't, if you care about that.