Decided on a fiberglass Rod

johnnysdg

Reaction score
I looked at the hardy sintrix and orvis helios rods and decided to go to a glass rod. A custom build from Andy Manchester.

I learned 30 years ago on glass and I just don't like the feel of these fast action rods. I can't feel the line.

I'm sure they are excellent rods but just not for me. I can't feel the line.

The shop guy was super nice and was showing me how to double haul. I could't really get not have I had a need to with my glass rods. I felt like I was casting a broomstick.

Anyone else feel this way?

wt bash

Reaction score
Right now I have only one graphite rod and its one of the earlier rods so even though its labled as "fast action" its super slow compared to todays. Everything else is glass and soon to be cane. So I'm with you I prefer the slower relaxed cast of glass. Although in saltwater I have to admit that the fast action feels a bit better when trying to push into the wind and to make a quick pickup and refire.

johnnysdg

Reaction score
The fast action graphites just felt weird to me. I couldn't feel the rod load.

mojo

Reaction score
Glass is a nice choice. I fish both glass and graphite, with bamboo thrown in once in a while. Todays glass is much different than the glass of the '50'/60's.
I have Fenwicks, McFarlands, a Steffan Brothers, Lamiglass' and some no names.
Lots of great builders too. Kubato, Matt Leiderman, Grey Wolf Rods, Mike McFarland, Fred Paddock (beautiful blanks), and Tom Morgan's new blanks.
Good luck on the build. What blank is Manchester using?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I know Andy Manchester, he's a member of my club. You made a good choice
I have 12 or 14 glass rods and I feel that for "close in", small stream work a glass rod can't be beat due to their strength and the way the rod loads with a minimal amount of line.
My Phillipson Royal 6wt is probably my favorite and practically casts itself, but my 2 "newest" additions were built by Wright & McGill.
The one with the green reel seat is a 6'6" Feather Light. The 8wt with the LLBean label is a rocket launcher that can easily throw a full line :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
I recently bought (and subsequently returned) a custom glass rod. Rod was great, finish was ****. Uneven wraps, varnish leaking over the feet of the guides and ferrule wraps. It was a white kabuto. The varnish was yellow tinted so real easy to see the sloppy work. Guy should have used epoxy and with over 100 custom builds under his belt you'd think he'd have figured it out.
Also, send me the rod with a flawed handle, and admitted as much when i contacted him about returning it. He 'thought since it was on the bottom of the rod it wouldnt be a big deal'

Now i'm looking at a helios for $50 less than the custom glass.

Word of warning, make sure you know this guy will accept returns for full refund if you dont like the workmanship, otherwise you'll be very disappointed.

mojo

Reaction score
I recently bought (and subsequently returned) a custom glass rod. Rod was great, finish was ****. Uneven wraps, varnish leaking over the feet of the guides and ferrule wraps. It was a white kabuto. The varnish was yellow tinted so real easy to see the sloppy work. Guy should have used epoxy and with over 100 custom builds under his belt you'd think he'd have figured it out.
Also, send me the rod with a flawed handle, and admitted as much when i contacted him about returning it. He 'thought since it was on the bottom of the rod it wouldnt be a big deal'

Now i'm looking at a helios for $50 less than the custom glass.

Word of warning, make sure you know this guy will accept returns for full refund if you dont like the workmanship, otherwise you'll be very disappointed.
That blows. Is this guy a well known builder? With a Kabuto blank you'd think the builder would want perfection. With an order from a customer, you'd also think no matter what blank it was, it should command perfection.

Johnny, never heard of Reed. (Doesn't mean anything though)
Edit- I just googled up Reed. From Austraila in the '70's. No longer made. Read some threads on FFF and they're very favorable reviews. Sounds like it's going to be a great rod.

Reaction score
I'm not going to bash the guy on open forum as theres lots of folks who like his rods.
Maybe mine was a one off, but i was severely disappointed as i really wanted that rod.

Suffice to say, it is NOT the same builder as your rod.

johnnysdg

Reaction score
Thanks Fontalis.

Thats good to know its not Andy who built yours.

Mojo, Andy had bought the new "old stock" of these blanks and says they are very good.

Based on his rep I trust him.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I'll post a review when I get the rod. I expect it end of the month.

Johnny

chased

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the kabuto. I would have thought it was going to be an amazing rod judging by some of the pictures that were posted on the web and who it was being built by. Any plans for another glass rod in the future? Them white kabutos are almost too cool to live without.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Andy had bought the new "old stock" of these blanks and says they are very good.
Based on his rep I trust him. I'll post a review when I get the rod. I expect it end of the month.
Andy has explained the whole reasoning and process of his foam core injected blanks to me a couple of times, (I guess I was too dense to grasp it the first time :eek:) but I've never cast one of his rods.
I know some other people that his have rods and rave about them.
Looking forward to your review.

johnnysdg

Reaction score
I received the rod a few days ago and I'm totally blown away. The rod is a masterpiece. If it casts half as good as it looks I'll be real happy.

Its a 8 1/2' 7 wt. I'll post a review after I try it out but I'm confident its going to be great.

Johnny