Fish ID

fishingfly

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of these fish around Auburn, mostly holding in pools and lakes. It is hard to see from this picture, but it is a glowing white. This one was caught on a live worm (dont grill me, it was somebody else). I could not get one to hit a woolly bugger or a cricket fly.

Without further-a-do,

Thanks For the help.

tbiii

Reaction score
Looks like some sort of cichlid, probably someone's pet at one time or another :)

fishingfly

Reaction score
The do have a fin structure like a chichlid. The thing is that I have seen several of them in multiple locations. Still could be that though.

medic77

Reaction score
I think the only way to truely identify it is to fry it ans see how it tastes. Unless of course it is some kinda protected species. Ha

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Or just put it in your fish tank.

tbiii

Reaction score
The do have a fin structure like a chichlid. The thing is that I have seen several of them in multiple locations. Still could be that though.
That was the thing that threw me, that you'd seen several in multiple places. But I suppose if a local pet shop had been selling them as ornamentals it could explain their distribution. And if you're in a university town, grad students have been known to liberate some of their study organisms from time to time :)

Regardless of how they got there, it's pretty neat. Have you contacted your local fish biologists about it?

fishingfly

Reaction score
I had not even thought about tilapia. Now that I looked up some tilapia pictures I am pretty sure that is what it is. That also explains why it refused a wooly bugger and cricket. Guess he just got lucky with the worm. Thanks for the helps everyone.