3wt fly rod

kraker1221

Reaction score
im looking for a good 3wt fly rod for brookies. i was thinking no more then $500. any help would be great.

axle27

Reaction score
Wow...that's opens up alot of options. You should go Bamboo. I have a 6ft-6in 3wt that is just plain awesome.

PM me and I'll get you a link.

chased

Reaction score
$500 is able to get you pretty much anything you desire besides some bamboo, provided you do a little searching online. Can you tell us a little more about the fishing conditions? Is the area open enough to use a longer rod without too much trouble? I frequently fish tight tree and brush choked streams and find that a short fiberglass rod really shines in this area. I use a Scott F2 6'6" 3wt for this type of fishing and it is an absolute blast.

-Chase

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
If you are looking for a short 3 weight that is ideal for Brookies I have an excellent Sage 373-3 SLT for sale. You have a ton of options at your price point.

44runner

Reaction score
One of my favorite rods is my Redington Classic Trout (now called the Redington Tempt) in 3wt 7'6" 4pc. I normally run it with a 2/3 Greys Streamlite reel with DT3F and it is a pleasure to cast. Quite possibly my favorite setup I own. Priced under $200 dollars it is well within your budget.

caseywise

Reaction score
wow! for 5 bills you pretty much can have your pick. my brothers 7' 10" TXL is a sweet stick as is the SLT. winston BIIX is a fine rod as well:)

casey

cowpokey

Reaction score
Are you planning on an entire outfit for $500; rod, reel, and line? Or are you reserving $500 for just the rod?

44runner

Reaction score
One of my favorite rods is my Redington Classic Trout (now called the Redington Tempt) in 3wt 7'6" 4pc. I normally run it with a 2/3 Greys Streamlite reel with DT3F and it is a pleasure to cast. Quite possibly my favorite setup I own. Priced under $200 dollars it is well within your budget.
I broke this rod out today for a bit of practice for an up coming trip. Verdict: Still an awesome setup. The Classic Trout with a Streamlite hanging off of it is stunning. Something about this setup makes me fall in love everytime I pick it up. I love a 3wt weight and I love a shorter rod and this one is beautiful. I always question how you can get a rod this good for such a low price. The action is perfection. Not so slow as to be annoying and but not too fast to suck the fun out of your task. Its like the perfect speed to let you enjoy the moment that line turns over and you load the rod back up. Don't get me wrong, I love some fast actions too but not all the time, they are like the quickies of the fly world, they get the job done and everyone loves them but when I want to make love, I reach for my Redington CT...

utah daveii

Reaction score
you could pick up a 386 zxl for that price right now. You could also pick up a 380 right now as well. The zxl repladed the SLT. I have a 383 SLT and it is my favorite rod.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Check out the Orvis Superfine too, its a great small stream rod on the higher end. Currently I'm rocking an Allen ATS 3wt, and while it fits into a sliiiiiightly lower price point, it carries its weight for sure with everything from little small stream fish to cruising carp.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
A 'Baby Boo' is a good thing, even the "Zhu" china rods aren't bad at all.

But ..... I probably shouldn't say this ....... But the Cabela's all in kits are cheap as chips and in the light weight rods are darned good value for the money.

Waiting for Ard's PM letting me know about my 30 day suspended sentence. :yikes:

bakerboy2222

Reaction score
+1 on cabelas rods. I have a 3wt 7.5 tqr series and it's my go to very small Creek rod. Definitely user friendly but I'd like it to be a little slower. I'd like to cast one of their glass rod series but the trip is a long one.

Also

+1 on ct rods. Just got a 4wt 8 and it has such a sweet action. Definitely check it out, you can get fantastic deals right now on the discontinued ct. Sierra trading Post namely. Maybe use the extra cash for a sweet new hardy dd. And super nice line. I picked the ct over every other rod I cast save the Scott s4 and g2 and including orvis' medium action trout specific rod.

Pocono

Reaction score
One of my favorite all-around 3 wt. rods for native Brookies is my 7'6" Sage ZXL. Good in almost all conditions and easy to cast in tight or long. Great feel with a fish on and light in the hand.

If I know my spot, and it's not going to be surrounded by too much brush, then I pull out my 6'0" Payne 95 taper cane rod. Paired with a reel like the Hardy Featherweight and a DT line, it's just a magical streamside combination.

Pocono