Saltwater Kit, the extras

almonde

Reaction score
Firstly, Hi, this is my first post here, although i've been a lurking reader for a few months.

Going on my first salt water trip to Belize in June, for 3 days of guided Bonefishing at El Pescador.

I've only fished freshwater before and therefore am assembling my kit for this trip, hopefully I'll enjoy it and it'll be the first of many.

My main setup will be an 8 wt, and there is plenty of stuff in books and on the web regarding rods, reels, lines, leaders and flies. So I'm after info about the extras that i'll need, that as i salt water newbie, i may overlook. Things like, do i really need a pair of those $150 Abel fishing pliers for 12lb test mono and bonefish, although they are pretty. :icon_redf

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Things like, do i really need a pair of those $150 Abel fishing pliers for 12lb test mono and bonefish, although they are pretty.
The simple answer is no! You don't need anything like that, a cheap pair of long nose pliers will work as well, or even a cheap pair of hemostats that many use in freshwater if all you need is a tool for aiding in removing hooks from Bonefish. Cheap pliers will rust with saltwater use, but they'll rust anyway even if used around freshwater. I bought a pair of cheap stainless pliers some years ago, paid about $15 for them, and they've been great. I've used all kinds of cheap tools for removing hooks, mashing barbs or cutting lines, including braided lines with other tackle. All work & I likely have not spent $150 on those tools in my lifetime!

If you can afford the Abel pliers, and want them, then that's a different matter. I can't so I don't.

Pliers are a good tool to have when saltwater fishing. Should you encounter a Cuda, instead of a Bonefish, & get hooked up, it would be useful. Although, it's not usually a good idea to get your hands too close to the mouth of any really big toothy saltwater creature! Bad things can happen real fast!

There are various nippers or scissors that will cut line. Stainless is again a good idea for the salt, but even regular finger nail cutters will do the job.

A knife & sheath, something like a Mora brand can be a good idea too. You never know when you might need to cut something fast. Might not be a problem for you, but I got tangled up in some discarded line one time while wading. I wasn't in any immediate danger, but in a different place, could have been. That was not the time for nippers!

Good polarized sun glasses, a good hat that gives full coverage to shield from the Sun and also keeps your head from frying under it, or something like Buff wear that protects from the Sun is IMO a more important place to spend your money, than on expensive pliers. Even the Sun's rays being reflected off the water can become a problem real quick.

Usually when fishing with guides, it's best to ask them what you need to have with you.

hi tide

Reaction score
Forget the $150 pliers! I have a $30 pliers that I use every weekend on the flats. Some good polarized sunglasses are a must and I think some good flats boots are a must if your wading you want to stay comfortable! Also if you don't already have one a good waist pack.

almonde

Reaction score
Thanks very much guys, they're good tips. I'm definitely sure i'll find something more useful to burn $150 on than some pliers :) Thanks for the reassurance.

I have some amber/green mirror Costa sun glasses i plan to use. Shielding and protecting myself from the sun is great advice, it would be awful to have my trip ruined by sun exposure.

I think i'll be mostly fishing from the bow of flats boat, what do people wear on their feet when in one of these things?

hi tide

Reaction score
I wear something like this. It's called the Columbia powerdrain, you can wade and they are good for on the boat.

almonde

Reaction score
Thanks hi tide, those look ideal and are currently less than $50! :cool:

ditz

Reaction score
almonde...Where did you find them for $50. I would like a pair for my yak

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I might also suggest a long sleeved shirt and zip-off leg pants, also to reduce sun exposure. Line clippers (even cheap ones ), Stainless pliers would be nice but regular steel will work. Just wash and oil every couple of days. I like the idea of a sheath knife and it would be great if you could get a sheath that has a plier holster built in. Some kind of lanyard for the knife might be good too. Gloves for sun protection and avoid line burns would also be a good idea. If you plan to do any exploring on your own a decent compass in the bottom of you tackle bag could be a life savor as could a good whistle.

almonde

Reaction score
almonde...Where did you find them for $50. I would like a pair for my yak

I found the them at Columbia's own online outlet here, only 1 color available though.

Thanks for the tips, my girlfriend bought me some fingerless buff gloves at Chrsitmas, they have a stripping guard etc on them and i think offer UV protection, although i've only used them for trout fishing so far, when I forgot my wool gloves

theboz

Reaction score
You don't need pliers for a guided trip unless your guiding! Sunscreen , proper clothing and a hat! Boat shoes that won't scuff the boat and that you can wade in. As others have said ask your guide what you should bring like if you need water or lunch . If he recommends flys and offers use them . This is what he does use his knowledge to your advantage. If he recommends the tides are wrong for Bones listen to what he suggests as an alternative.
Having mated for many years on a charter customers would book a shark trip and when the day came for their trip conditions would be lousy for snarling . The captain would recommend going for tuna or inshore species but they would insist on sharks! Nothing worse than sitting on s chum slick for 6 hours and nothing to show for it.
The point is use your guide!

chuck s

Reaction score
The number one extra has to be practice: :wavetowel To help simulate casting from a casting platform, place several hula hoops up at 30, 40, 50 and 75′. Stand on a cooler and try to put the fly into the hula hoop with a maximum of two back casts. Try this with a weighted fly, think Clouser, with the point clipped off and with a larger more air resistant fly. Do it with the wind and without. I place a taller step ladder behind me about where your guide will be standing and have even leaned a tall pole up with it to give a bit more realism. Perhaps the hardest cast will be where you use your backcast as "the cast" at times necessary in order to get the cast off with the wind coming over the wrong shoulder and no time to reposition the boat.

Other than that remember the little things:thmbup: such as lip balm with sun screen, fresh sun screen, spare camera batteries and a few zip lock bags to protect cameras, phones, etc. I wear glasses so a small glasses kit complete with screwdriver and spare screws and a cleaning micro cloth rides along, as does a multitool and a bit of cork oil/reel oil for my reels. I place the eyeglass kit in a Tupperware sandwich keeper with a spare croakie, and side shields and a small bottle of eye glass cleaner. The reel kit goes in a similar Tupperware keeper.

I always carry :rain:a very light weight wind breaker/rain jacket along or if nothing else one of those throwaway slickers that folks up to sandwich size. A sudden storm and wind can leave you cold even in the tropics.

Salt is hard on rods, reels and lines:doh: but a good cleaning each evening will keep things in ship shape. I strip the lines off to the backing and rinse well with warm water and then as I reel them back on I do so through a line conditioner applictor. When rinsing rods, use a toothbrush:icon_idea to clean around guide feet and the reel seat. Don't forget to rinse off pliers, and any other gear that gets wet with salt spray. (sun glasses for instance)

Anyway, have a great trip and be sure to give us a report.
:cool:

freak

Reaction score
You don't need pliers for a guided trip unless your guiding! Sunscreen , proper clothing and a hat! Boat shoes that won't scuff the boat and that you can wade in.
The point is use your guide!
Couldnt agree more. Just got back from a guided Bonefish trip in the Bahamas. My lips and hands got pretty burnt.