Greys Streamflex XF2 10' 5wt.

shimloom

Reaction score
I went out Sunday and ended up buying a Greys Streamflex XF2 10' 5wt rod. I have to admit I am a dry fly guy at heart. Don't get me wrong I have Nymphs, not a lot, I just don't use them. I was thinking this year I would start using them (after 30 years of fly fishing). Would this rod be a good choice for say Czech style or just regular nymphing? Need some help here as I am not well versed in this style.

Craig

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Went fishing today and used mine...it's one of my favorite rods...both on dry and nymph on sight ....never fish Czech style or cast heavy nymphs...so don't know...but it's a very good rod ,you should enjoy it;)

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I have the 10' 2wt and use it specifically for czech nymphing and love it. I have yet to actually cast flies with it because it is so cold here all I have been doing is czech nymphing.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I went out Sunday and ended up buying a Greys Streamflex XF2 10' 5wt rod. I have to admit I am a dry fly guy at heart. Don't get me wrong I have Nymphs, not a lot, I just don't use them. I was thinking this year I would start using them (after 30 years of fly fishing). Would this rod be a good choice for say Czech style or just regular nymphing? Need some help here as I am not well versed in this style.

Craig
It should be. People who do that kind of fishing like 10' rods because they can keep more line off the water. I have a 10' 5wt TFO that was recommended by a guide for high-stick nymphing, although I haven't used it that much. I also have a Greys 9' 6 wt X-Flite (the predecessor of the XF2) and it is a very good rod. So at least you know you have the right size and a reliable brand. The rest is up to you.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score

Craig
The rod was designed primarily for this purpose although it is very versatile.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
Would this rod be a good choice for say Czech style or just regular nymphing?

Craig
Yes, many folks rave about this rod for exactly that purpose.

Edit to say: I have no personal experience with that model rod,
and I dunno why I read a 5 as a 2.

Last edited:

renomick

Reaction score
Like everyone else, I agree the Streamflex is near perfect for high stick nymphing, at least as far as the waters I fish these days. I handled one almost daily in the course of my work, and had fully intended to pick one up myself, but then got a chance at a new Sage ESN 10 5 wt, at a deal that was too good to refuse. You're going to have a great time with your Streamflex.

alexs

Reaction score
Just my $.02...
I think it's too fast/stiff for czech-ing...
It is a great indicator nymphing rod, but in my opinion it is not a great Czech nymphing rod. I fished the 11ft #4 Streamflex and I felt it is too fast for handling lighter rigs with lighter tippet. If I am fishing a bigger river/bigger fish situation, I am using an 11ft #4 CZN. It is a softer rod than the Steamflex and does a better job at European style nymphing (again,my opinion). Before I selected the CZN, I fished the Streamflex, TFO, Echo Shadow in 4wt. Later I fished the Sage ESN and One, and concluded that my choice was right for my budget. The ESN is sweet, but I can't afford $700 for a specialized rod.
If it is not a big river-big fish scenario, I opt for 3wt rods. The Europeans frequently fish 2wt and 3wt rods while tight line nymphing (on the other side of the pond fishing is more technical, use of 6x-8x tippet is common, and the fish are not as large as here in USA).
Since the fly line is not contributing too much to the loading of the rod (you only use a couple ft, if at all; sometimes the fly line doesn't leave the reel and you are using the leader only), you should be able to "load" the rod with the flick of your wrist to be able to control where your rig goes (accuracy). Another aspect is not breaking off the light tippet on the hook set, since you are fishing at very short range.
Don't take me wrong, it's a great rod, but in 5wt I feel it is too 'heavy".
I hope it works out well for you! Give us some feedback after you fish it.

Tight lines,
Alex

shimloom

Reaction score
Mostly where I plan on fishing it is med. large water with fish up to 8lbs. Not sure if I will Czech with it, but might give it try.

Craig

alexs

Reaction score
Mostly where I plan on fishing it is med. large water with fish up to 8lbs. Not sure if I will Czech with it, but might give it try.

Craig
Give it a reasonable shot if you have proper water and fish at close range. You will never know if you don't try it!

Alex

coolkyle

Reaction score
Czech nymphing is the best way to get fish out of pocket water because of the short drifts and complex currents. The nymphs sink fast and strike detection is better. A fishing spot with bigger riffles and pools won't fish well that way, so either bring leaders or spools set up for long range nymphing. I indicator nymph with my 10' 4wt all the time; I find it works better than a 9' 5wt on bigger water as long as it isn't windy. Your 10' 5wt should be very versatile.

shimloom

Reaction score
Tried it out Saturday and found it a fun rod. I am not a nymph fishermen yet but I will keep trying. I like the Czech style a lot. I might go more that direction than indicator style, but until I do it more I will keep trying both.

Craig