Sage XP 596

dean_mt

Reaction score
It's been a long wait for me to get this project started, but I'm finally there.

Everything is in place and I have a pretty good idea for what the wrappings will be...but it seems to change a lot while I've been working on ideas. We'll see...

Anyway, thank you to Diver Dan for last custom portion of my plan - some slim cork and burl rings to customize the grip. Dan cut down some rings for me a slim and purty 1/8", check it out!

Ready to wrap n roll...

petee

Reaction score
Everything is in place and I have a pretty good idea for what the wrappings will be...but it seems to change a lot while I've been working on ideas. We'll see...
Too funny:D. Trust me, it doesn't get any better as you build more rods. That happens to me everytime I build, unless the customer says its this way or the hiway.

Pete

dean_mt

Reaction score
O it was too, Dan. I couldn't have made this grip with standard sized rings.

ferrule wrap ideas...

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Here is the latest ferrule wrap variation. I like this one for now.

The thread color looks gold here but it is tan nylon Pro Wrap , the trim bands are NCP gun metal (not as white as they look here). I wanted to use some contrasting colors but was a little stuck. The reel seat is what REC calls pewter, it's of course different in hand than on the innerweb. So I decided to try to use that color as an accent and the "gun metal" NCP is pretty close. I went for tan to compliment the Maple insert in the reel seat. I do not intend on using color perserver and the tan will darken quite a bit with the green blank coming through, the green thread matches the blank pretty closely.

I hope to crank out the top half guides this week and get the grip turned and reamed this weekend.

Thanks for the comments and advice on the other thread. Keep 'em coming.

dean_mt

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd try to bring that fade a bit deeper into the wrap
...thanks a lot...I know I will end up trying it now just to see what it looks like! ;)
I am going to incorporate the fade in the butt wrapping so I'll test it there. This one is staying put for now.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I turned the grip yesterday. I'm pleased with how it came out. The burl rings proved a little more work in getting them centered. The 1/2" cork ring between the burls has the slightest concave dish, but I accepted it.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm finally ready for finish...if only I didn't have clean this dusty cluttered mess of a room first!

butt wrap

the grip and seat. The cork needs filler, I pick out the crappy divets first.

the (out of focuse) stripping guide

I really need to get this rod finished!

dharkin

Reaction score
Looks real good John. I really like your color choices. Probably better looking than my factory XP. Don't leave it at home when we hit the Big hole this fall.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I finally finished the rod and got it out fishing last weekend, as you probably already know.

I was slightly disappointed in the final product after getting the finish on the rod. The light gray I chose for the trim wraps was meant to compliment the light pewter color anodized reel seat. And I am happy overall with the colors. But the tags of the gray NCP thread's bands are clearly visible under the nylon wraps. That bummed me out ... until I went to the shop and looked at some $700+ Loomis rods that had the same look, only sloppier. The tags of their trim wraps where long, inconsistent and plain bad. So then I felt a better about my job.

Though I used "flor grade" cork there were inevitable pits. I used Elmer's wood filler as recommended by more that one person but it is far too light and doesn't match the cork. I am hoping it will soil with use.

Other than that, I am pleased with the finish. I used Thread Master Lite for first time and appreciated all the qualities and characteristic they tout: easy mixing, long pot life, very little air bubble issues and great crystal clear finish. I focused on making a smooth, even surface by hand rotating the rod every 20 minutes or so while watching for sags and brushing them out, then rotating 180 degrees and waiting again. After a few reps of that I let it turn overnight.

Insights and critiques are welcome and encouraged! I am still learning quite a bit after this, my 5th rod.

The light trim band tags can be seen here on the guide wrap: