"Green caddis" nymph pattern ;)

T

turbineblade

Hi, I'll be fishing a trout stream that supposedly has a lot of caddis hatches.

One of the flies I've heard that works pretty well is the well-known "green weenie". Question - for tying this sucker in a #16-18, is the vernille even small enough to wrap properly? Is there anything smaller? Should I just use green thread or some kind of dubbing at this size?

Thanks -- :)

itchmesir

Reaction score
Go big or go home with the weenie... no reason to tie it so small... 12-10 is really as small as I'd tie it... caddis range in all sizes from around 8 all the way down to 20

T

turbineblade

Easier than I thought! I believe that's what I'll do. thanks --

T

turbineblade

I like the nymph skin one! very cool.

I need to find some of that stuff in green....

L

Liphookedau

Silver,Thanks a nice Fly Pattern,another for my Fly Box.

Davie Mc Phail Ties a Nice Green Peter Emerger,I saw it on you - Tube & Tied a few myself.
Brian

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There's 2 types of flies called the "green weenie"
The little one with the micro chenille imitates the inch worm and is an early summer hatch
The other imitates the caddis larvae commonly called the green rock worm
Likely a Rhyacophila

They're pretty common and the ones that I tie look something like this
Size 10 or 12
Tying the Green Caddis Larva Nymph Pattern

Bow River Flyfisher

Reaction score
Size matters...check your river and match to the actual OR a hook size bigger only. I read the replies...if you go to big you are not matching with the "actual" that fish are looking for. IE : if your eating fries and one appears an inch thick and 5 inches long...you will question it. My opinion only but I've been fishing and guiding since 94', stalk fish regularly and if the fly doesn't match close enough - they leave or ignore it. It's a different ball game if your drifting and fishing...fish in the middle of the river see more varied food sources.

stenacron

Reaction score
Size matters...check your river and match to the actual OR a hook size bigger only. I read the replies...if you go to big you are not matching with the "actual" that fish are looking for. IE : if your eating fries and one appears an inch thick and 5 inches long...you will question it. My opinion only but I've been fishing and guiding since 94', stalk fish regularly and if the fly doesn't match close enough - they leave or ignore it. It's a different ball game if your drifting and fishing...fish in the middle of the river see more varied food sources.
FYI - thread is 11-yrs old and OP appears to have vanished.

How did you find it (if you don't mind my asking)?

Bow River Flyfisher

Reaction score
Hi...yes - I realize that this is an old thread. It popped up while doing a search on a caddis nymph. I read the replies and having fished as much as I do, not knowing the experience level of the repliers - I felt I should say something. There are sooo... many factors involved in fly decision and if the readers are fishing inexperienced and easy fish- pattern/size/color means little...educated fish are a different matter entirely. I just spent a week in Montana at Nelson's, DePuys, the Yellowstone and the Missouri - Trout behaviour varied greatly from the very easy, to exceptionally difficult/impossible to catch. The impossible fish, couldn't be approached in any way that would allow an angler to catch them. Middle of the stream , shallow water, bright sun and few insects - New Zealand tactics that I'm familiar with might have worked with a fish spotter/guide in tandem with an angler...maybe and even that is questionable...I wouldn't employ those for an 18" fish, a 2' plus would be another story.