Any alternatives for Arctic Fox Fur?

fly505

Reaction score
Hi there! Just curious if anyone has tied up the Home Invader using anything other than arctic fox fur? I've tied a few using craft fur which was a messy pain in the butt...I picked up a patch of fox fur, kinda pricey and hard to find around here. Anyone suggest an alternative? I'm tempted to use cross cut rabbit but seems like it isn't stiff enough to hold a good shape when wet. Thanks and look forward to any replies. :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm headed to Anchorage today, if you want I can pick up a patch of it and mail to you ....... or you can check the 'Mountain View Sports' web site and order from them. I don't know right off hand the price but it won't break the bank, maybe $5 or so.

This is made with what they stock, is it what you want?
Ard's Bush Doctor;

Wing is Arctic Fox :)

I'm going to leave soon; hope you check the thread for replies.......

Ard

fly505

Reaction score
Hardyreels...thanks for the kind offer! I'm kinda lookin for something more fur like that compresses well when wet. That's a gorgeous fly by the way. Local shops have most of what I need... Just don't carry alot of fox fur I'm looking for. Mouche...those sound like great alternatives...I think I've seen the sheep at my shops. I'll give em a try. I'll also take a look at other various online vendors. Appreciate all the suggestions :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
OK,

Perhaps the fur you want is the under fur, the fly I posted is the long gaurd hairs and tips. For under fur grey fox or raccoon may work also.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I haven't tied that pattern but a quick google search gives me some ideas. I'd agree with Ard, you might want to consider Raccoon as a substitute for Artic Fox. A little goes a long way with Arctic Fox tail. My source has a generous clump for $8.50 that in my experience is quite lasting. PM me if you're interested and I can get you a link to the shop. The small patch that's about 1x1 isn't what you're looking for. It's neither stiff enough or long enough. I believe it's from the body anyway.

For whatever its worth to you, here's a link to an article by the originator of the Home Invader:

The Home Invader - Fly Fisherman

Last edited:

fly505

Reaction score
Awesome thanks! I'll look at some raccoon and give it a try! I appreciate the responses and will take a look at the article as well...Doug Mcknight does create some nice streamers :)