New to fly fishing

joefly

Reaction score
I'm new to fly fishing and I live in Virginia. And was wondering if any one else lives in the area that could tell about some places to try my luck. I don't live to far from the James and chickahominy rivers. It doesn't matter what I catch just like fishing. So if anyone has ideas on where to go and types of flies please let me know. Thanks

kevin2

Reaction score
Welcome Joe. Don't live near you, but any river in the Mts with large rocks & pools of deeper water, 4-6' at least, will likely hold trout.

Get out there & start learning how to cast. It is a life time pursuit, fly fishing is. Enjoy...

joefly

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try out the rocks on the James near richmond. Maybe try for a smallmouth or two. I haven't caught anything with any size to it yet. What fly fishing I have done so far I have enjoyed

cuffer

Reaction score
Hey joefly. Welcome to the forum. I also live in Virginia. I'm up in Front Royal. Never fished the James but I've read that it's a good fishery. I'd recommend getting some Woolley buggers and cast cast cast. You're bound to run into some smallmouth. Good luck. Stick with it. Enjoy yourself.

joefly

Reaction score
Thanks. I do believe I have some of those. Not luck with them yet but going to keep trying. I have any caught small panfish with small poppers. Very fun to catch. But wanna taste something bigger.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Welcome to the site & this wonderful sport!

Both of those rivers are known for LM bass. There are also Striped bass in the lower sections of the James. The upper areas of the James, as cuffer has said is good for Smallmouths. Some type of watercraft would help increase your chances if you have it available. Even a belly boat.

I live up in MD & have not fished in those areas, but know of others who do.

Depending on the weight rod you have, try larger streamer patterns, and poppers, at least a size 2 for the LM bass. Something in the 3 to 5" length range for the streamers if your rod is heavy enough. Smaller flies are fine too & have there use.

Go with heavier leaders & tippets too, again depending on your rod. I've fished for bass with anything from a 6 wt to a 10 wt, and 10lb test tippet is about the minimum I'll use with the lighter rods. Typical leaders & tippets used for trout or panfishing are usually not best for the bigger flies used when fishing for bass.

There are many fly patterns that are good for bass. Lefty's Deceivers, Seaducers, and various rabbit strip flies are some I've had good success with for both SM & LM bass. Same flies can be good for Stripers.

In tidal areas, it's usually best to fish during those times when the tides are moving. Tidal currents limit baitfish movements & often concentrate them in small areas, so that's where the bass will be. Think in terms of structure, cover & current. Where you find these in combination you'll often find the bass.

Hope this helps you some! :)

joefly

Reaction score
Well I use a 7/8 rod nothing to fancy. I have many types of flies. I bought alot and tried alot with no success. But I think that's because I'm new at the sport. As far as a watercraft I don't have one available. Just fishing from the bank