Looking for help with vintage rods

fisher9955

Reaction score
I came across a couple old rods and would like some info about them.

The first one is a Powell "ultra 6" 9 ft dark green Rod which I can't find any info about. It looks like it was never used.

The second is a South bend no. 24 9ft Rod which is bamboo. The overall condition is decent.. but it looks pretty old.

If you guys could give me any info as far as pricing and value go that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The South Bend; if it has lettering on the butt use this chart to determine what line it is for.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...d-line-weights-modern-aftma-line-weights.html

Many of the older powell rods were very versatile in the line weights often being able to line from 5 - 7, price wise I have no clue. I'm not familiar with green ones so I can't date it for you.

Value wise the South Bends are not highly sought after and sell from 35 - 85 dollars based on weight and condition, tube - sock, etc.

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
For the Powell, you may want to contact Chico Fly Shop and Raptor Rod Works out of Chico, California. Both establishments have some sort of connection to the Powell Rod Company. A Google search can get you contact information.

Someone else can clue you onto the South Bend.

Dennis

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Someone else recently asked about the 24, I think
It's a "bass action" 7wt (HCH) and one of the better South Bends.
However at 9', I think that you might find it uncomfortably tip-heavy unless you can balance it with a heavy enough reel

Ard may be undervaluing the South Bend line by just a bit.
I was recently offered $300 for one of mine, but I think that it's worth a bit more

fisher9955

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I emailed the two companies and they both spoke very highly of the Powell rod and both put a value on it from $350-$375. I was going to try and sell it here in the classifieds but I need 20 post before im allowed to. I will probably list it on eBay in the next few days.

As far as the bamboo rod, I've been getting values from $85 to over $300, so I'm still unsure.

I'm not a fly Fisher so both rods at are up for sale. Rich I replied to your pm via email.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry if I went low on the South Bend value.

You need 100 posts before you can list sales here so eBay will be your best market.