Yosemite Lodging?

andy1270

Reaction score
Later next month I'll be in California for business, but I'm taking 3 days to spend in the Yosemite area. I want to fly fish the Merced and Tuolumne river in the meadows.

Where would you recommend for lodging? I don't really want to drive an hour to get to my fishing destination...

I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Andy: Here is a link to the park lodging, you might get lucky, but I'm guessing that this time of year it is going to be pretty solidly booked.
Yosemite Lodging, Hotels and Reservations | National Park Reservations

When I was younger the wife and I used to visit Yosemite but we didn't have much money and always camped, but it was a great experience. Back then I wasn't into fly fishing, we mostly explored all the hiking trails.

left field

Reaction score
The valley will be packed with people. And it's 1.5 hours to Tuolumne. Consider a rental just outside the park. The other thing to consider is the state of the streams. Not sure what the runoff is like but the T could be down, limiting your fishing options.

Unless you're hellbent on fishing Yosemite I would drive a few hours east and hit the U&L Owens, East Walker, the Gorge and Hot Creek.

Upper Owens:

Hot Creek:

Last edited:

mikel

Reaction score
Tuolumne Meadows - Fly Fisherman

If you want to fish the T Meadow area you can stay a few minutes away in Lee Vining. If you google motels there you'll find something...although they book up in summer, so I wouldn't wait.

You can fish the meadow, although I prefer the granite up the Lyell Fork. There will be hordes of folks, but as you work well up the stream they thin out...

but...

remember we're likely going to be outta h2o here in the Sierra by early July and these are not big waters to begin with. The waters mentioned by Left Field should still be fishy and are pretty much only an hour further than T Meadows.

good luck...-m