Wading Boot Laces

plecain

Reaction score
This question is about as mundane as they get.

The laces in my wading boots have a very short life. The originals didn't last long. The replacements from Walmart are a week old. I don't think they'll last another week.

Two things happen. The eyelets cut into them, and the gaiter hooks rub on them.

Any brands or types to recommend?

It's not that they cost much. It's just that they break at the worst times, usually.

Thanks.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
This question is about as mundane as they get.

The laces in my wading boots have a very short life. The originals didn't last long. The replacements from Walmart are a week old. I don't think they'll last another week.

Two things happen. The eyelets cut into them, and the gaiter hooks rub on them.

Any brands or types to recommend?

It's not that they cost much. It's just that they break at the worst times, usually.

Thanks.
I use heavy duty nylon cord and pretend that it's shoelaces.
Always bring extra too

dhaynes

Reaction score
The nylon boot strings from REI are pretty tough... I replaced my Original boot strings with them and they have served well...

dean_mt

Reaction score
My original laces wore out last winter (4 or 5 years old?) but I continued to use the nylon core that hadn't broke yet because I never remembered I needed new ones until I was sitting on the tailgate lacing up again!

I was in the fly shop the other day and a pair of boot laces were right under my nose! Simms replacements, of course, but I was pleased to see that they were not priced for the name...$2.99 and they are heavy duty stiff things. I expect another 4 years.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I always have a pair of Simms laces laying around because that's what I find in the fly shops. I have some heavy duty nylon as well but they're way too long. When I go on a trip for more than one day, I always have an extra pair with me. The good thing about laces though is they're easy to fix in the field if they fail. It may not be perfect, and it may look ugly but you can always knot them up and keep fishing.

I've heard of guys using paracord for laces as well.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Fly shop Simms laces. Always have one in the bag in my car. If I have one that's on the edge ready to break, I'll throw it in my pack. If one breaks on the stream, I just knot it and move on until I get back to the car where I have one waiting.

If you have a Redwing Shoe store near you, they make a pretty tough lace as well that I've used in the past. You'll get some time out of those too.

Cheers,
Mike.

trout champ

Reaction score
I have shoelaces that have kevlar weaved in the lace. Very flexible and very strong. The laces I have now are on their third season and there are no frays or wear at all.

Randy

plecain

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I decided to go with the Kevlar laces.

I had a credit at Duluth, so went with those. I'll live with the natural color.