Future Generations and Paying it Forward

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
When my two sons were quite young I built their first fly rods and tried to instill the passion in them at an early age. They grew, interests and focuses changed and they wandered from the sport even questioning my seeming addiction to fly fishing and tying.

5 years ago my oldest son picked up a fly rod again and then began tying flies and building rods. He became one of my best fishing buddies. His youngest brother still had other interests and did not pick up a fly rod again until about a year-and-a-half ago, and now he is solidly hooked!

Last night my youngest son came over and asked if I would teach him how to tie flies. It was exciting to know he wanted to expand his involvement in the sport to include fly tying. He specifically said he wanted to learn to tie scuds first of all.

I set him up with a vise, loaded bobbin, scissors, hooks and materials. I coached him in the first fly and then turned him loose. Who would have thought he would be such a natural :rolleyes: .

Here are the flies he tied last night:

Proud pappa :D

Kelly.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Kelly: Congrats! It will be so sweet to have your younger son back fly fishing and tying flies, doesn't get any better than that!

half fast

Reaction score
I see a profitable symbiotic relationship here.....

Some years ago, I took up sports car racing at about the same time my dad retired and took up woodworking. He and I fell into a pattern of equipping each other's shops at Christmas, on our birthdays, for our anniversaries, etc.. He'd buy me a drill press and I'd give him a lathe. He'd give me a bench grinder and I'd get him a scroll saw. And so on. All without complaints from our wives.

If you and your sons work this right, you'll soon have more fishing gear than Orvis.

:)

jaybo41

Reaction score
Glad to hear they've both gravitated back to fly fishing and tying. Looks like the apple didn't fall too far from the tree talent wise Kelly. Those are great looking flies Now you guys need to get out there together and fish them!