Ferrule-tight issues

king joe

Reaction score
Hey guys
Working (slowly) on my first build (IM7 9' 5 wt.)...and was putting on my tip top last night. I was using ferrule-tight and after about 7 tries, I went to Gorrilla Glue instead and got it done.

My problem was....after the glue was dried, the tip would slide back off. I cleaned the surfaces, abraded slightly the blank, and basically any combination there-of. But, when i would slide the tip on, the excess glue would push forward....but the tip, would not stick. For such a seamingly easy task, i failed.

Interesting side note....I have used ferrule-tight literally 1000s of times for other applications (ran an archery shop)...and have never had an issue.

Any thoughts on this for my next one?

Regarding my use of Gorilla Glue. I have used this to replace tips and found it easy to use. It does have an issue in that it expands as it dries...especially in the first 15 or so minutes...meaning you have to be cogniscant of squeeze out. That said, clean up is with water so having a damp paper towel handy, you can take care of squeeze out quickly.

Any comments appreciated.

King Joe Outa Here!

plecain

Reaction score
Gorilla Glue expands as it dries, as you've seen. It's not just squeeze-out. It's probably pushing the tip-top up.

I'd try something else - hot glue, epoxy, maybe.

king joe

Reaction score
Gorilla Glue expands as it dries, as you've seen. It's not just squeeze-out. It's probably pushing the tip-top up.

I'd try something else - hot glue, epoxy, maybe.
Yeah, that is what I mentioned (re: expands) so was vigilant that the glue didnt ooze out...AND push the tip off. For that, I was on task.

Ferrule tight is a hot glue.

Epoxy...I was looking at 'just in case' situations where I may need to replace the tip 'someday'...and its tough to remove epoxy and may need to cut off to replace.

Thanks for the response.

King Joe Outa Here!

king joe

Reaction score
Absolutely no need to apologize plecain....I am the rookie builder here so fishing for information as I will be doing lots, i suspect....any comment from experienced folks, i will not turn down.

Again, thanks for responding.

King Joe Outa Here!

petee

Reaction score
Was it a brand new stick (never used before)? All I can think is it's a faulty stick, as in they messed up their batch mixture. I have never had a tiptop come off yet and I use a high temp glue stick on all my installations.

Either that or there was some contamination inside the tiptop that was finally cleaned off after all the installation attempts.

Just want to make sure I am on the same page: We are talking hot glue stick yes? Dried... as in cooled? If it has to dry, then we are talking two different animals and my comments will be off base. Well..... except of any contamination issues.

Pete

king joe

Reaction score
Was it a brand new stick (never used before)? All I can think is it's a faulty stick, as in they messed up their batch mixture. I have never had a tiptop come off yet and I use a high temp glue stick on all my installations.

Either that or there was some contamination inside the tiptop that was finally cleaned off after all the installation attempts.

Just want to make sure I am on the same page: We are talking hot glue stick yes? Dried... as in cooled? If it has to dry, then we are talking two different animals and my comments will be off base. Well..... except of any contamination issues.

Pete
Hey Pete
No, it was an 'experienced' stick and yes, it was hot glue that dries when it is cooled...which is pretty quick (the drying/cooling time). Yea, I thought about that (contaminated tip) also and soaked it in rubbing alchohol a couple times. Regardless, couldn't make it work with the hot glue. Had a (another) close look at the tip, now affixed to the rod with Gorilla Glue, last night and even did some tugs. Its stuck and no squeeze out remnants from expansion (I cleaned up as it did while drying).

Related, I was reading in M. Clemens book, Advanced Fly Rod Building, that he 'used' to use hot glue/Ferrule-tite...but now uses 5 minute epoxies...which, coming full circle, is what some of the earlier responses said here.

again, thanks all for the responses.

King Joe Outa Here!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
The only problem with using epoxy is it does not come loose. I know that sounds like a good thing but it isn't always. If a tip takes a good bump with a hot glue type of application it will come loose, no big deal just reheat or reapply and your ready to fish. If it takes a good bump with epoxy the blank will break, rod will never be the same :( You will also never be able to replace the top if you need to.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Many times (yes many :rolleyes:) I've busted just the ring off the tip-top.
With the tip-top cement/hot glue you can just pop off the damaged one, replace it, and you're good to go in minutes.
Epoxy needs a lot more heat to do this, so much so that you need to be very careful not to damage the blank.
I would think that the Gorilla Glue would be much the same

theboz

Reaction score
Rip and Swirl when you say you replace the ring on the tip top do you buy a new tip top and pop the ring out as the replacement or is there a source for these rings that I'm unaware of ? Thanks in advance!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Rip and Swirl when you say you replace the ring on the tip top do you buy a new tip top and pop the ring out as the replacement or is there a source for these rings that I'm unaware of ? Thanks in advance!
Replacing the whole tip top. The rings do comr out from time to time or get damaged. If you epoxy the rod tip into the tube you will most likely break the tip when trying to remove it.

theboz

Reaction score
Replacing the whole tip top. The rings do comr out from time to time or get damaged. If you epoxy the rod tip into the tube you will most likely break the tip when trying to remove it.
Ok thanks. I misunderstood what Rip wad saying. I only use the stick that you melt just thought there was a diffrenr way.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Ok thanks. I misunderstood what Rip was saying. I only use the stick that you melt just thought there was a diffrent way.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
When the ring breaks off, the whole tip-top needs to be replaced...
I know so much about this because I'm not always that diligent about putting my rod back in it's tube :eek: