Need a new rod

bigtroutfishr

Reaction score
hello all, i am pretty new to fly fishing and i am in need of a new rod. i bought a kit at dicks to start with, big mistake. i am looking for a medium action 4wt, preferably 7-8ft. i fish limestone and spring creeks in pa, so casting is usually under 30 ft. i mostly fish dry droppers (nymph on bottom, dry on top) and straight line nymphing. i would like to keep the rod price around $150. lets here those suggestions, thanks!

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have the rod I'm going to recommend but many people who fish them on the forum swear by them. Look for a Redington CT, you will have to search for them on the net but they're on closeout. Selection may be limited at this point but they're there. The newer model of the CT is the Tempt which is just a little over your budget. I'm basing this on past recommendations from members and the criteria that you're looking for. Medium action, spring creeks and under 30' fishing.

noreaster

Reaction score
Sounds like the St.Croix Imperial would be perfect for you. I fish a 4 wt. 7.6 foot Imperial rod and love it. Lots of power and very delicate and accurate.

As well the Imperial line did very well in a big review shootout. Finished best in its price range. I think best in show under $150.00
They seem to have gone up in price over the last year. You can probably find a deal if you search.

noreaster

Reaction score
Noreaster, I saw a review that said the imperial was a fast rod, or is that subjective?

I was using a 5 wt 7.6 foot Sage RPL. I switched the reel and 5 wt. line over to the St.Croix Imperial. So I over weighted it and it worked flawlessly. I also have been using a 3 wt line on it lately and have to say it handled it well as well. I find for a light weight 4wt, it has the flexibility to be both under and over weighted. Quite an accomplishment for a 7.6 foot 4 wt. under $200.00
So to answer your question It is a little subjective, but you can dial it in and slow the action down with a heavier line. If you are looking for a slower action rod, the Reddington Classic Trout (now sold under a different name) would fit the bill. I have both rods and I do find I like the St. Croix better though.

cptxkirk

Reaction score
I have a Redington CT 4wt 8'6" for sale. 75$ to your door if you're interested?

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Sounds like the St.Croix Imperial would be perfect for you. I fish a 4 wt. 7.6 foot Imperial rod and love it. Lots of power and very delicate and accurate.

======
I have this rod and it's called/rated fast but I wouldn't consider as fast and stiff as the Orvis helios 7ft 4wt I owned.

I wonder, are you going to be fishing up in some really choked streams?

I use my St. Croix for fishing up in the SNP which is rare, mostly hitting spring creeks in the Shenandoah Valley and a 9' 5wt or 9' 4wt does just fine.

bigtroutfishr

Reaction score

======
I have this rod and it's called/rated fast but I wouldn't consider as fast and stiff as the Orvis helios 7ft 4wt I owned.

I wonder, are you going to be fishing up in some really choked streams?

I use my St. Croix for fishing up in the SNP which is rare, mostly hitting spring creeks in the Shenandoah Valley and a 9' 5wt or 9' 4wt does just fine.
they are small limestone/spring creeks such as yellow breeches, big spring, falling springs, codorus creek, in south central pa. they are 30 ft across at most, and wading is mostly required.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
they are small limestone/spring creeks such as yellow breeches, big spring, falling springs, codorus creek, in south central pa. they are 30 ft across at most, and wading is mostly required.
Hmm. So wading means you won't hit anything on your back cast?

I just wonder why the 7'6"..when I got mine from Harry Murray down here in VA it was more of a specialty rod for the SNP. It quickly felt too short fishing brushy banks on VA spring creeks and fishing from a kayak or in wading deep meant line hitting water on back casts.

Anyway, I ended up getting 9' 5wts (several) and 8'6—longer rods. More rod for more distance (when I needed it) and ability to mend line better.

But don't let me deter you from your thought on a 7'6" or 8ft (that's where I'd go). You may add more rods later...

That said, the St. Croix is a fantastic little rod. Again, I don't consider it really zippy and fast. It has a really nice action and I love fishing it. I am still amazed at what it can do. Now, when I got mine (4+) years ago it was like $200+ I see it's a little cheaper now.

I've owned 2 other Redington (Crosswater and Tempt). Both 5wts which I found heavy and not as nice as my others, but that's an apple orange comparison. But alot of people like them and they can be trusted on this forum.

Let me think a day or two...maybe it's time to let that St. Croix go since I don't fish it very much at all in the SNP anymore. It has a new $90 click and paw orvis battenkill on it. The line needs replacing tho....let me know what you'd like to do for reel and rod or just rod.

Best
C

bigtroutfishr

Reaction score
Hmm. So wading means you won't hit anything on your back cast?

I just wonder why the 7'6"..when I got mine from Harry Murray down here in VA it was more of a specialty rod for the SNP. It quickly felt too short fishing brushy banks on VA spring creeks and fishing from a kayak or in wading deep meant line hitting water on back casts.

Anyway, I ended up getting 9' 5wts (several) and 8'6—longer rods. More rod for more distance (when I needed it) and ability to mend line better.

But don't let me deter you from your thought on a 7'6" or 8ft (that's where I'd go). You may add more rods later...

That said, the St. Croix is a fantastic little rod. Again, I don't consider it really zippy and fast. It has a really nice action and I love fishing it. I am still amazed at what it can do. Now, when I got mine (4+) years ago it was like $200+ I see it's a little cheaper now.

I've owned 2 other Redington (Crosswater and Tempt). Both 5wts which I found heavy and not as nice as my others, but that's an apple orange comparison. But alot of people like them and they can be trusted on this forum.

Let me think a day or two...maybe it's time to let that St. Croix go since I don't fish it very much at all in the SNP anymore. It has a new $90 click and paw orvis battenkill on it. The line needs replacing tho....let me know what you'd like to do for reel and rod or just rod.

Best
C
if you would like to get rid of it let me know price, i would just need rod, i have decent reel and only used once rio line so im good there.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
if you would like to get rid of it let me know price, i would just need rod, i have decent reel and only used once rio line so im good there.
I'm getting close to getting a fiberglass rod that's a 4wt. Anyway, that means I am more likely to let the St. Croix go. Since the glass will be probably 7'6" or 8'—and would end up being my shortest rod...I don't think I need 2.

I'll keep you in mind.

bigtroutfishr

Reaction score
I'm getting close to getting a fiberglass rod that's a 4wt. Anyway, that means I am more likely to let the St. Croix go. Since the glass will be probably 7'6" or 8'—and would end up being my shortest rod...I don't think I need 2.

I'll keep you in mind.
Let me know first :)