Spinning rod advice?

fq13

Reaction score
I know this might be the wrong forum, but I know each and every one of you own at least three.:) Today I was throwing a small jig in mangrove creek. The tide ripping out and the tolling motor could barely hold the boat in place. Fly rods were out of the question. So I was using an ultralight spinning rig, a cheap WAlly World special, to cast jigs on oyster bar for reds. I'd caught two undersized ones and a lady fish. Then BAM!, a four foot tarpon grabbed the bait and my rod popped like it had never even been there. The first head shake and I was done.

Any suggestions for a rod that will take 1/16 oz lures and run under a hundred bucks?

littledavid123

Reaction score
Check out the Cabelas line of spinning rods, I have always found their own line of spinning or casting rods to be very comparable to the well known name brands costing much more. :)

Dave

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I know this might be the wrong forum, but I know each and every one of you own at least three.:) Today I was throwing a small jig in mangrove creek. The tide ripping out and the tolling motor could barely hold the boat in place. Fly rods were out of the question. So I was using an ultralight spinning rig, a cheap WAlly World special, to cast jigs on oyster bar for reds. I'd caught two undersized ones and a lady fish. Then BAM!, a four foot tarpon grabbed the bait and my rod popped like it had never even been there. The first head shake and I was done.

Any suggestions for a rod that will take 1/16 oz lures and run under a hundred bucks?
That sounds awesome.

Good advice has been given. I am sure that you could find a winner from those listed brands.

You might also want to look at some Shakespeare Ugly Stik Inshore rods. The prices are very reasonable, and the blanks are very tough.

Dennis

theboz

Reaction score
Agree with Dennis the Ugly Stik Ultra Lite is an excellent rod. And so are the green Cabelas 6 fters! But if you can cast a small jig at these Reds why not a Clouser? Is it the space?

rogue runner

Reaction score
You might take a look at the Okuma SST rods, They are really good rods for the money and fit that price range. I don't have any experience with the fish you speak of but we have landed some good sized salmon and steelhead with them.

hope this helps

grouch

I don't deserve a title
Reaction score
Maybe I am reading this wrong but why do you want something so light if you have small tarpon in the area? For inshore I'd be looking at a Shimano Teramar. You can pick them up for $110 and they have a no questions asked warranty. 3/8ths is the lightest they go though but that would still give you plenty of sport with the ladyfish and a decent shot at the small tarpon. I have fished plenty of them and they are great rods. When I got my "light" salt water rod I ended up getting a St. Croix Avid Surf 7' 5/8-2oz just because I always wanted something that could through out a good size plug or a live eel for the fall run stripers. With a rod like that you might start casting to the tarpon instead of the lady's plus it would make a fine snook stick.

fq13

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. To respond to two questions, ahy not use a clouser and why such a light rod? The answer to both is tbat its August in the Ten Thousand islands. The fish are feeding on glass mi nows and will ignore almost anything else. So what you need is a inch long green and white streamer. I'm fishing with a modified clouser with a white marabou under wing and a dark green flashabou over wing on both number six long shanked flies and 116th ounce jigs. Both seem to work well. But as too why not the fly rod, the bait tends to congregate in creeks. And qhen the tide is flowing, its all you can do to cast and keep the boat straight and out of the mangroves. Add a fish and its a three ring circus. A spinning rod is just more practical for solo fishing. Besides, a lot of these creeks are barely fifteen feet wide, so a back cast is an issue.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Ugly Stick.

Pros: Probably the strongest spinning rod on the market, bar none. Personally, I tied one into an overhand knot just to see if I could.

You can get one for about $30 at any Wally World.

Cons: Heavy; thing's made of fiberglass so much heavier than its graphite competitors.

Lacks 'feel' and not a great casting stick.

I may be wrong (it's been years since I bought a non-fly rod), but I'm pretty sure you can't beat Shakespeare's ugly Stick for price and sheer brute strength.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I only own 1 spinning rod these days. It's collecting dust. But it was my everything rod before a fly rod was put into my hand. St. Croix Triumph ML. Amazing rod with tons of feel. Could toss tiny spinners or big spinners and cranks. Caught tons of everything with that rod. Combine with a Pflueger President you'll be hard up to find another combo this amazing for under $150.

oarfish

Reaction score
Shakespeare Ugly Stik, I have 4 ultra lites I used when taking the scout kids fishing, they tried but never broke one on all the trees they caught, tough sticks.

Rick