Check off another species for the Wooly Bugger

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have to agree, the wooly bugger is a pretty awesome fly pattern, especially when you consider how easy it is to tie.

Larry

popperhopper

Reaction score
2 weeks ago a buddy even caught me on a wooly bugger. They are just that good.

(Snagged my pack....lucky for him)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

muppetmullet81

Reaction score
I think I could almost solely depend on buggers, clousers, bead head nymphs for about 95% of all my fly fishing. Bass, trout, gills, those three flies could basicly do the job all the time if I needed. Nice little musky in that video by the way.

itchmesir

Reaction score
This year I've caught...
Browns
Bows
Brookies
Perch
Bluegill
Green sunfish
Pumpkinseed
Black/white Crappie
Pike
LMB
SMB
rock bass
White bass
Walleye
Sauger
Sheephead

All on black buggers

Bet you can't guess what fly I have fished the most this year.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Nice fish Jay! The bugger and variants should be a staple in any and every fly box, the exception being dry fly snobs:D. Big ones, small ones, variations, they simply catch fish. Well done:thumbsup::thumbsup:

enolaeagle

Reaction score
This year I've caught...
Browns
Bows
Brookies
Perch
Bluegill
Green sunfish
Pumpkinseed
Black/white Crappie
Pike
LMB
SMB
rock bass
White bass
Walleye
Sauger
Sheephead

All on black buggers

Bet you can't guess what fly I have fished the most this year.
Ive been diversifying lately... I've been using brown, olive, olive/black and more white patterns for strike detection.

I just picked up black/orange and interested to fish them in hopes of fish interested in that hot spot orange look. So far the olive patterns are working well

itchmesir

Reaction score
All colors of buggers will catch fish no doubt. But if you got black. Imho you don't need any other colors aside from maybe white.

I often use another color after black has kept me busy and just want to see if they'll take anything else.

jbird

Reaction score
Heres a couple other wooly bugger victims from a couple weeks ago.

boyscout

Reaction score
I have caught pike, stripers, and redfish along with the usual suspects on wooly buggers.

Yes, it is an amazing fly!

tbum2020

Reaction score
Most likely the only negative aspect to the "Zoltán" of all flies is that the Snakehead seems to enjoy them far to much... Then you have to take your bugger back by putting your hand near the mouth of these ungodly creatures!

jhammer

Reaction score
Ah, the old reliable WB. I've caught everything from Carp and Bigmouth Buffalo to Flathead Catfish on it. All in one day too. :D

fq13

Reaction score
Most likely the only negative aspect to the "Zoltán" of all flies is that the Snakehead seems to enjoy them far to much... Then you have to take your bugger back by putting your hand near the mouth of these ungodly creatures!
Speak for yourself kemosabe. I roll my own. Cut the damn thing off:) (then kill the beast, at least if you're in Fl..