Black Nosed Dace ---Need Help

brucerducer

Reaction score
I found some Black Nosed Dace patterns on e-bay

Fly Fishing Flies Freshwater Dozen Black Nosed Dace Size 6 New | eBay

When I looked on the Internet for Tying Instructions though, none of the patterns looks very much like this. Everybody has their own interpretation of the Black Nosed Dace, and the variety is very great.

Can someone suggest a basic materials list for the pattern as shown on E-Bay? Thanks. Appreciate it.

sandfly

Reaction score
why ? that's not a black nosed dace to me.
that pattern is white floss body, silver mylar rib and gray squirrel wing.

JoJer

Reaction score
My "Talleur's Basic Fly Tying" book lists the following recipe:
Hook: Long shank streamer
Thread: Black
Tag: Fine red yarn
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Three layers; from the lowermost; White polar bear hair, black bear or skunk tail hair, brown buck tail.

He then adds the insert, " I suggest you make a few substitutions. ...polar bear hair is illegal. We'll use a synthetic substitute. I also suggest substituting embossed tinsel for the flat and black dyed squirrel tail for the bear or skunk. "

The photos look to be about a size 6.

My "Flies of the Northwest" credits the pattern to Art Flick, the materials are similar except for a silver oval rib over a flat silver tinsel body and a wing, from the bottom, of white, black and brown all buck tail. In sizes 2-10.

theboz

Reaction score
My "Talleur's Basic Fly Tying" book lists the following recipe:
Hook: Long shank streamer
Thread: Black
Tag: Fine red yarn
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Three layers; from the lowermost; White polar bear hair, black bear or skunk tail hair, brown buck tail.

He then adds the insert, " I suggest you make a few substitutions. ...polar bear hair is illegal. We'll use a synthetic substitute. I also suggest substituting embossed tinsel for the flat and black dyed squirrel tail for the bear or skunk. "

The photos look to be about a size 6.

My "Flies of the Northwest" credits the pattern to Art Flick, the materials are similar except for a silver oval rib over a flat silver tinsel body and a wing, from the bottom, of white, black and brown all buck tail. In sizes 2-10.
That's the recipe I was always taught and it is a great fish catching pattern for a classic. I use white craft fur or white bucktail in place of the polar bear. the white craft fur gives the fly some umph!

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

The other variation of it that's productive is on a shorter shank streamer hook with everything the same except the silver tinsel is replaced by silver Mylar tubing it gives the streamer a more full look!

T

turbineblade

+1 on Charlie's pattern for the dace. Or anything else for that matter.

I learned more from his beginning fly tying book than anything else I've ever done, including tying with the local folks here :).

The only even thing close to a criticism I have on his patterns is they are sometimes too perfect and a bit over-the-top for me ;). I tend to use a lot of his techniques (like plamering buggers front >> back and catching with the rib, etc.) but I boil-down some of the steps and materials to make them simpler.

Charlie is great -- :fishing:

Interesting note: To this day, the biggest fly rod fish I've ever caught was on a #8 black nose dace, tied by me but very, very similar to Charlie's method. I just used an extra silver wire over the tinsel and red yarn instead of his red tail material. I really don't like the red yarn though, I'd prefer his tail over mine.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
A natural black nosed dace is very distinctive and they're only found in the cleanest water.
In Art Flick's "Streamside Guide" (c.1947) the recipe is

Body---Best quality medium silver tinsel
Tag----red yarn, very short
Hair---- natural polar bear , black bear or black hair from skunk tail, and brown bucktail
Hook--- No. 4,6,8, or 10
He goes on to say that white bucktail can be substituted for the polar bear, but the polar bear hair is preferred because it has better action.

I caught some nice landlocked salmon and large brook trout on black nosed dace this season.... all tied Clouser style ;)

brucerducer

Reaction score
"an Amherst Pheasant tippet clipped into shape"---HardyReels

Thank you. That's one fine looking tail!