Orvis CFO made by Abel?

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Popped into an Orvis in Madison WI while on a wedding trip and was told by a rep that a new CFO is coming out but will be made by Abel.

I'm assuming it's true and wondering if you had any thoughts on it?

C

shotgunfly

Reaction score

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
With all due respect to Ross, it is NOT a competitor to Abel. Abel does have two worthy competitors in Tibor and Islander. I do expect positive fruit to be born of the Ross/Orvis marriage though. The gentleman from Orvis charged with running SA & Ross is the same man who designed Ard's beloved Orvis "Odyssey", a unique riff on the draw-bar concept.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Oh, and to answer your question, Shotgunfly, wouldn't you agree that Abel's Creek and Trout spring and pawl reels are their machined equivalent of CFO? Though I suppose a modern machined, either by Hardy in England or Abel in CA, new CFO is superior to the original cast version, I am beginning to consider CFO (which I still use a couple of on small streams) a period piece not replicatable. Aren't there plenty of "real" Hardy-built 1970's -80's CFO's on the used market to satisfy demand among aficionados? Would anyone trade their original CFO for one of these new ones? I would not.

mbchilton

Reaction score
With all due respect to Ross, it is NOT a competitor to Abel. Abel does have two worthy competitors in Tibor and Islander. I do expect positive fruit to be born of the Ross/Orvis marriage though. The gentleman from Orvis charged with running SA & Ross is the same man who designed Ard's beloved Orvis "Odyssey", a unique riff on the draw-bar concept.

I'm not offended by your statement, but I am a bit surprised. I own an Abel (TR1), and have used a Ross. In trout weights they seem comparable in quality and price. Am I wrong in my thinking?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
No offense intended, just a critical commentary on reel design. In choosing between an Abel machined spring and pawl reel like the Trout and a Ross, say Evo LT, for a 5-weight trout outfit, I would select the Ross. I would prefer its adjustable drag and large arbor design. I mention the Trout model because we are talking CFO overrun check type reels...choosing between the EVO and 5N, I might go with the Abel but I consider the Super Series drags, which I love, to be overkill on little reels. Yes, Abel's machining is top notch and their narrow aspect ratios are the best but what Abel is about (fish graphics aside) is the ultimate refinement of the cork draw-bar, classic big game fishing, high performance fly reel. I mean no offense and I use such reels trout fishing very happily but hub-type drags as in Ross and almost all others are a dime a dozen. The better ones, Nautilus FWX or Galvan Torque for example...and no doubt Ross Evo too, are great for protecting light tippets and assisting in subduing a hard fighting rainbow. If you want to put the brakes on a bonefish heading for the mangroves or a tarpon towing you out to sea, may I suggest a fat, well oiled, cork draw-bar reel like an Abel.

[critics note: I do not consider multi-stacked-disc drags as in Hatch, Orvis Mirage, Hardy Fortuna X or the upcoming Allan "Omega" to be ordinary hub-type designs; these reels have big-game drags for sure and are embraced for their minimal maintenance. Also, there are large sweep area hub mounted disc drags that have plenty of stopping power, so this is not a black and white issue. Never-the-less, if you have fished Abel, Tibor or Islander reels in the salt, you understand what I am talking about.]