fly line shrink tube, slip on leaderss etc.

craigthor

Reaction score
Nail knot it.... Practice first as the first dozen are the hardest to dress properly after that they are fairly easy.

fq13

Reaction score
Nail knot it.... Practice first as the first dozen are the hardest to dress properly after that they are fairly easy.
Buy the tool. Best five bucks you'll spend. A nail knot where the mono bites into the fly line is stronger than a loop every day.
Tie a dozen and you'll wonder why you thought it was hard.(Though I'm not signing up to use a nail).

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Had a piece of tubing that worked before but couldn't find it yesterday when I needed it. No to just using a nail method, my fingers just aren't that talented. If I didn't go through so many leaders as a noob I wouldn't mind jacking with a nail knot every time. As far as strength of a loop strength, I'm thinking the 4 LB tippet breaks first? I'll do a nail knot on my pike rod.

TeddyBallgame09

Reaction score
Buy the tool. Best five bucks you'll spend. A nail knot where the mono bites into the fly line is stronger than a loop every day.
Tie a dozen and you'll wonder why you thought it was hard.(Though I'm not signing up to use a nail).
^^^^^
What he said :)

Seriously...buy a nail knot tool....until you do, you'll feel like a caveman before fire was invented.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You wanna be my streamside "Knot Boy" forever Craig? I'm trying to make this easier on ya :)

Craig and I fish together some if that didn't make it obvious. I'll buy a tool. I just haven't noticed them where I shop. I'm still putting a loop on one of my lines too. Gotta let me learn some of this stuff for myself. I use heat shrink insulation all the time at work. Can't be that much different.

silver creek

Reaction score
You wanna be my streamside "Knot Boy" forever Craig? I'm trying to make this easier on ya :)

.... I use heat shrink insulation all the time at work. Can't be that much different.
I've found that the heat shrink tubing stiffens the section of fly line more than a nail knot does. What then happens is that the fly line "hinges" and cracks at the edge of the heat shrink tubing. I'm sure that has happened to you if you use the tubing. Then water gets into the fly line core.

The nail knot also stiffens the fly line, but it seems to allow the fly line to bend a bit more, and the fly line coating doesn't crack as fast.

You don't need Craig as a Knot Boy. For the individual with 10 thumbs, I recommend the "nailless" nail knot.

Instructions and video are below.

Gary Borger » Nailless Nail Knot

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLyVtgNGQkM]borger knot - YouTube[/ame]

mtbusman

Reaction score
I gotta agree with the idea of using a nail knot, especially with floating lines. I hadn't seen the Borger video though. That's cool. Maybe I can get rid of the long thin nail I use.

I'm still tying my leaders based on an article that Gary wrote for the Flyfisher in the 1980s, "principles of leader design." He recommended in that article (among other things) that you nail knot a 10" connector of heavy mono to the end of your fly line. Then, you can tie your leader(s) to this using a blood or other suitable knot. You won't have to make a new nail knot every time you need a new leader. And it helps make a smooth connection between the fly line and the leader. No loops, better transition.

One other thing you can try. Put a small amount of Knot Sense over your knot. Not too much -- you don't want to add too much mass to your knot -- but with a little at each end of the knot, you can make it so the knot slips throught the guides almost like it wasn't there.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'm sure I could get better with a nail knot over time. With a tube it only took a few attempts. Perhaps easier with a tool. I know they are easier sitting on the couch than they are with cold fingers on the stream.

There are variations of the nail knot as well and I may be trying to tie one of that is not as easy. I found one set of instructions on the net that said "wrap the line 30 times". Are you kidding me? :)

I can try most all the advice on this thread and see what I prefer over time. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
M

mridenour

I use the Borger Nail-less method. It is the simplest, fastest method I have tried yet.

silver creek

Reaction score
I'm still tying my leaders based on an article that Gary wrote for the Flyfisher in the 1980s, "principles of leader design." He recommended in that article (among other things) that you nail knot a 10" connector of heavy mono to the end of your fly line. Then, you can tie your leader(s) to this using a blood or other suitable knot. You won't have to make a new nail knot every time you need a new leader. And it helps make a smooth connection between the fly line and the leader. No loops, better transition.

One other thing you can try. Put a small amount of Knot Sense over your knot. Not too much -- you don't want to add too much mass to your knot -- but with a little at each end of the knot, you can make it so the knot slips throught the guides almost like it wasn't there.
I also smooth the nail knot but I use use Pliobond.

The way to to keep knots from catching on the rod and tip top guides is to TURN THE ROD OVER (reel up) when bringing the leader knots into the fly rod guides. The knots then ride along the fly rod blank and NOT over the the guides. It is a simple and effective way of keeping those big fish from breaking off when you need to bring the nail knot into the guides.

random user

Reaction score
I use leader links. They are quick & painless, especially in you are using tapered leaders.

Eagle Claw Leader Link - 5 Pk. Kittery Trading Post

They don't force a hinge at the end of the fly line either.

Only knot required is a simple over hand knot.

To instal a new leader: force the butt of the leader out of the link, clip the overhand or double over hand knot off and slide the old leader out. Then feed the tippet back threw the link and pull it threw. Tie an overhand or double over hand knot and pull snug. Clip tag and tie on what ever you want for tippet.

I have never be able to figure out why more people don't use this.

craigthor

Reaction score
for a super cheap nail knot tool just grab a tiny coffee stirrer at a gas station, about the right diameter and most are hollow down the center.

craigthor

Reaction score
Yeah I used the loop to loop on the new line but once I have my leader nailed down for it I will cut the loop and nail knot it on. Also if the leader gets real bad it is easy enough to splice it further up the butt end or create a short perfection loop so you can easily replace the leader if it gets destroyed.