Can I fish year round in pa?

95chevy

Reaction score
I have looked on google but didnt fimd quite what I was looking for. I am wondering if I can legally fish now until December 31 (when the license expires)? I found answers for keeping trout but not much else. I never keep fish unless I need to (like camping) or when I go deep sea fishing but thats not related to here. Also, I wouldn't necessarily be targeting trout. In fact itd be mostly bass and blue gill. Thanks for any answers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

pa dave

Reaction score
I don't know if you have the regs book anymore, but here is a link to the online version. Short answer is yes, you can fish year round in PA, just not for all species at all times or places. Look specifically at the special regulations waters that are listed. It can be a little complicated.

FishInPa.com

Specifically for trout, this 2nd link is a great place to start.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summaryad/z04trout_regs.pdf

For bass and panfish, this last link is useful.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summaryad/z03regs_species.pdf

95chevy

Reaction score
That is a tad confusing. Tge main reason im asking is because ill be at a park (wehrs dam specifically) and there is a ton of bluegills and bass at the bottom of the dam. And I wanted to fish while I was there.

95chevy

Reaction score
Ok. Thank you. My neighbor was telling me that he thought that blue gills were allowed all the time but ge didnt know about other species. Thank you for the info.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know all Heritage Waters are open year round, C&R fly fish only. The only waters that close to trout fishing are those that are stocked by the PA Fish & Boat Commission, they close in March when the pre-season stockings begin and open the second Saturday in April.

Of course, I would suggest verifying that in your regulation book before you fish any given water.

Ard

95chevy

Reaction score
I haven't been there since july (I dont know why because I live 10 minutes away) but when I was there the water was a tad on the low side and all I caught was blue gill and some bass. But a few years ago before I got the fly rod, I caught a few pretty big catfish. There is also some trout at the bottom of the dam at certain times. Usually when the water is at a normal level.

95chevy

Reaction score
Well I just got back from wehrs dam. I didn't catch anything. Actually, I didnt even see anything. I walked down river a ways too and there wasnt anything. I kinda figured that there wouldn't be anything there. But it makes me wonder where they go? I pretty sure they dont just die.