Flies for Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery (2014)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
We have a an active thread going on discussing what you do with all your flies (see below) so that got me to thinking that maybe it is time to start a thread requesting flies for both Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery programs. If you have any flies that you would like to donate or are willing to tie up six or maybe a dozen for those two great organizations, that would be wonderful. The flies don't need to be all the same pattern, but they do need to be unused flies. I already have two dozen streamers that Eunan has donated from the recent swap and JP has also donated his flies, which are in the mail system at the moment.

The Project Healing Waters fly donation will be going to the group at Fort Belvior for the Wounded Warriors Program (thanks to Silver for reminding me of that great group of folks in need of some flies). At this point I'm not sure whether or not the Wyoming Casting for Recovery program will need flies or not for this years retreat, the gal that runs that program has been busy caring for her husband who is undergoing treatment for throat cancer (non-smoker), so at this point I will just collect flies for CFR in general, not knowing which organization will receive the flies. If your willing to donate flies to either Project Healing Waters or Casting for Recovery, send me a PM and I will forward my address.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/314565-what-do-you-do-all-flies.html

Volunteers helping out:
s. fontinalis............flies received!
jimmie...................flies received!
jpbfly.....................flies received!
bear 007................flies received!
calftail...................flies received!
theboz...................flies received!
comeonavs.............flies received!
eddie O'Neill...........flies received!
liphookedau............flies received!
mcnerney...............flies completed!
ghoceva.................flies received!
fishiowa.................flies received!
fredaevens.............fly boxes received!
flyfishmich.............flies received!
hairwing530 & his kids.......two each 2014 "Fly Box 80" collection flies received!
gzarboni.......flies received!
wjl...............flies received!
strap44.........flies received!
bear_007......flies received!
chrisinselwynNZ......flies received!
ia trouter......flies received!
duker......flies received!
gr8outdoorz......flies received!

Larry

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks in advance! No need to hurry, I'm asking for flies do be distributed to PHW and CFR in the late spring time frame (probably late April), so we have several months to tie.

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Physically unable to tie at this point (Parkinson's) but how about fly boxes?

Fred
Fred: We totally understand you can no longer tie, but I'm sure the folks at PHW or CFR would love a fly box donation from you! Much appreciated for the gift.

Larry

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Fred: We totally understand you can no longer tie, but I'm sure the folks at PHW or CFR would love a fly box donation from you! Much appreciated for the gift.

Larry
Have a brand new Wheatley on my desk and will pick up a few more 'boxes' next week and forward on. Saw your PM but not going to open same so I don't do something stupid and loose your address.

Fred

fredaevans

Reaction score
Count me in, great way to support my Brothers and Sisters in Arms who are having a rougher time then I am.
My signature line: ""We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill"

Nothing has changed in 50-60 years. 'Bless them all, Bless them all, the young the long, the short and the tall ...."

Frederick A. Evans

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry

Do you know if these events are strictly trout fishing? I am going to tie some stuff to send with my swap flies that are leaving here real soon.

Dewayne
Dewayne: The Casting for Recovery retreats are all trout, not sure of the PHWs, but I think they would gladly accept anything we can provide them.

Larry

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Count me in, great way to support my Brothers and Sisters in Arms who are having a rougher time then I am.
Thanks, much appreciated! I sent a PM with my address to send the flies to, just realize there is no hurry, we will be collecting flies until April 2014.

Larry

fishenfool

Reaction score
Dewayne: The Casting for Recovery retreats are all trout, not sure of the PHWs, but I think they would gladly accept anything we can provide them.
Pretty sure that Project Healing Waters is mostly trout.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

fredaevans

Reaction score
Pretty sure that Project Healing Waters is mostly trout.
West Coast is an interesting place to fish if you want 'trout' in the mix. Most of Western Washington, Oregon, and California are 'devoid' of trout streams with any kind of population. The Eastern half of the first two and the Sierra Mountains, a whole new game plan. Think Salmon and Steelhead in the western parts.

Follow CFR pretty closely and much of what they do is the 'teach' (and a damned good job of it I might add!) but to fish you probably have quite a drive to get there. Obvious EXCEPTION would be lake fishing. Most are well stocked by the respective Fish and Game folks.

fae

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry,

You can count me in as well. In fact, if you don't mind, I'll up the ante and include some flies from my "ready to kick off" tying classes with "my kids." The class of 2013-2014 has a few returning students who are solid tiers, and I'll supplement the collections with some of my own.

When the flies arrive sometime early in 2014, please remember that the flies from "my kids" may not be tying perfection. But, they will have been wrapped with as much devotion to the cause by a very special group of youngsters...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Jerry: Thanks, the gals at Casting for Recovery will really appreciate receiving flies from you and your kids!

Larry

gr8outdoorz

Reaction score
Physically unable to tie at this point (Parkinson's) but how about fly boxes?

Fred
Larry,

Count me in!! As soon as I send out the flies for the winter swap(wednesday) I will whip up a dozen for CFR and send them to you. Since our friend Fred can't tie right now, I will tie up a dozen for his contribution as well. Thanks for posting for a great cause!

Carlton

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry,

Count me in!! As soon as I send out the flies for the winter swap(wednesday) I will whip up a dozen for CFR and send them to you. Since our friend Fred can't tie right now, I will tie up a dozen for his contribution as well. Thanks for posting for a great cause!

Carlton
Carlton: Sounds great, much appreciated and thanks for thinking of Fred!

Jimmie: Your fly donation came in today's mail, looking good! Thanks again!

Larry

calftail

Reaction score
Glad to see the list of tyer's is growing for you Larry. So far I have 6 dozen ready and I am waiting mail order material to continue tying one of the flies I think the folks can really use.

To keep the thread interesting ..here's a pic of "waiting for the head cement to dry".....

comeonavs

Reaction score
Nice work everyone , I'll be interested to see the grand total we can donate. I posted this in my other thread on my "winter project" but my winter project is a box full,to donate

2 doz hot wire RS2 were completed yesterday.

For those of you in Colorado fishing tail waters, these in a size 20 are killer for me.

Will be filling up both sides

And the magic fly

gzarboni

Reaction score
Hi Larry,
I am not the best tier as I have just started. I am pretty good at wooly worms and wooly buggers! I would love to donate some of them. I will put in my best effort and get a dozen of each for you.
Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk