Echo Edge 884-4X, Airflo warmwater, Lamson Konic and TheFlyFishers

bloodhound

Reaction score
I would first like to start off by saying the musky/pike bug has bit me and after last season using a few Cabela's rods and an Echo ION I have upgraded this season to the Echo Edge 84 8wt with Lamson Konic and Airflo's warmwater line as a combo from Pat Ehlers shop in WI. first off let me tell you that Pat and his son Jared are very cool guys and have no problems letting you know where to fish and using what. I'm not sure I can Advertise the price for this as a combo but it is much cheaper than the same setup from Big Box stores and worth checking out. Now on to the rod it is light, forgiving and can stand up well to my aggressive caveman style casting it is a nice deep blue in color with over sized stripping guides and a high quality cork, there is no hook keep which I find is odd but not that bad, the line compliments the rod in a way that shows you both were developed by Tim Rajeff and Pat Ehlers for a specific warm water large fly purpose, the ridges on the line are not noticeable and the line went through the guides better than the Rio Pike and Musky (which I also liked) .

the Lamson Konic is as nice as my lightspeed with the exception of the weight of it being cast/ machined instead of being completely machined as the lightspeed is, If a person wanted to go with a warmwater setup that was going to be bullet proof and sub $500 price tag this setup is great, I cannot compare it to the predator or the Sage series of warm water rods but getting this complete setup made me a believer in Echo and Airflo.
It is still my belief that the Konic is one of the best reels for the money period.