What is up with this trout?

qacwac

Reaction score
Fished the Green below Flaming Gorge this week and among the fish I caught was this guy.

Nothing special. However, this is what he looked like on the others side.

Any idea what is going on there?

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
No Idea, but I am looking forward to what others think. It looks like it was in decent shape other than the "Tan".... Was it healthy, minus the color difference.

mudbug

Reaction score
I have no idea but this fish had a similar thing going on.

It's not as obvious in the picture, but the head and tail area both had something similar to the picture you posted, but cameras do what they do and it looks less pronounced than it actually was. It was very obvious when I was casting to him.

Last edited:

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Ah, this is an easy one!

The way you find out is, simply contact your state Dept. of Natural Resources (whatever it is called in Wy., here its simply the DNR), and ask them......Not one time in all my years have I ever found, in any state the wildlife divisions being anything less then helpful.

Heck, even last year I phoned out to Mt. and spoke to a fisheries officer looking for Bull Trout and besides his good advice he also stated flatly "c'mon in, I'll give you some tips for the region, mark up a map, and if he had time offered to "take us" out to where he thought might be productive......1st converasation.

In "my experience", I've never found it different anywhere.......Seriously, call them up. They'll give you the best and most accurate answer known, and more so it gives them info to expand their knowledge base.

B.E.F.

stenacron

Reaction score
Seen this a lot on hatchery fish and in C&R areas... pretty sure its the fishes skin reaction to their slime coat being removed (poor handling, nylon nets, rolling around on the bank, etc.).

qacwac

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll contact the Utah Fish and Game and see if I can find out. I'd like to know if I should have harvested the fish to get him out of the gene pool.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Seen this a lot on hatchery fish and in C&R areas... pretty sure its the fishes skin reaction to their slime coat being removed (poor handling, nylon nets, rolling around on the bank, etc.).
I've seen similar things on hatchery trout, too. Not quite as big, though. Blotches the size of a half dollar or quarter.

Can't tell you why, but I'd always assumed just a mutation.

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing this fish had slime removed in two straight lines bisecting it along two axes.

stenacron

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing this fish had slime removed in two straight lines bisecting it along two axes.
Don't think it quite works like that. It only takes a small area to be removed, but the blackened skin reaction spreads out from there. I've seen it on quite a few fish and it always looks strangely squared off like that.

Reactions: Ard

cpiercem

Reaction score
hyperpigmented melanosis

A skin reaction thought to be a reaction to handling, stress, or other factors.

It is kind of a "grey" area as to the causes. Maybe DWR will have some more definite answers for the conditions that cause it.

nrp5087

Reaction score
I have seen when fish spend their life on the edge of a shadow one half is a darker color to better blend into the environment. This is weird though considering line of color is vertical.

C

changler

A muscle or nervous issue may explain the pattern- fish muscle tissue is arranged in relatively straight lines (think the "flakes" of a fish fillet), and I know some fish wind up with dark bands after being electrofished by fish and game agencies. But I'm just spitballin' :)