Hook size/fly weight vs. rating of rod to 'do the job.'

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Odd off as this sounds this is one thing about spey casting that has totally escaped me for the most part. Larger line weight and you can cast a 'dead chicken' Intruder; with a 4wt you're really limited to a smaller fly/hook size.

So ... to the question.

To try to break this down (again 2hander rods) a bit:

3 to 5 weight rods what sized hooks (assuming they're not extra heavy wire) to you tie on? On second thought a heavier hook adds weight and you can skip the light lead wire or bead heads for a sub surface fly.

5 to 7 same question if I may.

fae

Bigfly

Reaction score
Fred, not sure I understand the question......
The line for each wt has enough mass to throw a sz 2 hook, but not the same bulk.....
I tie some stuff that's almost the size of my hand for my 5wt spey.
Just size, not weight is the trick....near weightless but big enough to tempt.
Of course, as soon as you add a cone head or increase the bulk of the fly you have to move up in rod size.
I used to think a bigger fly weighed more.....
Now, I tie small very heavy flies, and big light flies....

Jim

gt05254

Reaction score
Fred, I take a different approach for atlantic salmon fishing, anyway. I use 13-ish foot rods that handle in the 480-540 grain heads. But I am fishing, at largest, #2 flies and smallest, #12, typically hair or feather wing. For me, it's more about the size/wt of the rod related to the size of the fish I'm after, not the size of the fly. Certainly a rod that casts a 280gr head will zip a #2 right out there, but I'm not interested in having to baby a 20 pounder because of my light weight rod. I like to get them in quick and then gone, and the big rods allow me to due that, even though the flies are tiny.

Gary

klunker

Reaction score
I use either a 7 wt switch rod or a 7 wt 12 1/2 spey rod. I cast large 8" streamers tied on 2 2/0 hooks. I'm not the greatest caster, still learning but I can make it work. Also use with 10ft sink tip, t11.