Line for a 5# Radian

geordie41

Reaction score
As the title suggests I'm looking for recommendations on a good alround line for a 5# 9ft Scott Radian.
Mainly I will be fishing dries but will chuck the odd nymph and maybe even swing a streamer now and again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Borrowing from Rio the A & B column system:

A - Caster inclined to hauling , prefers a light and fast feel.

B- Caster prefers to "feel" the rod load or casting slightly heavier/larger flies.

A - Mastery Trout DT/WF , MED #5, Barrio GT90

B- Rio Gold, Elite, Wulff TT +, Rio SHS, Barrio SLX

* I don't have TT (standard) GPX/MPX or Exceed to test.
** I deploy both A or B as need be or depending on my mood.

boisker

Reaction score
Hey Geordie
I haven't a 5w Radian but have the 4 & 6w's...

I have the gold on the 4w and the barrio gt90 on the 6

Only recently tried the Barrio, had it on the 6w for about 3 weeks and it's a brilliant line... no memory, soft and it cast brilliantly... very well designed and a great taper..

I'm going to pick up a 4w gt90 for the new season as well.

1/3 the price of Rio lines and I believe postage is free worldwide, not much too lose:D

eastfly66

Reaction score
Another explanation....

Hopper & Dropper all day - Rio Gold and the like

Single dry and presentation - Mastery & such ..

Rio SHS & Barrio SLX , good compromise with a neat twist.

cletus

Reaction score
I like the Gold on the 905 as well as the SA Textured Trout.

As an aside, one of my goals was in 2016 was to cast the whole line with a 905. I know, a goal of very little value on the water but a goal nonetheless. I accomplished it with the Radian 905 and the Rio Gold. Now I never have to cast that far again!

willyf

Reaction score
I like the Gold on the 905 as well as the SA Textured Trout.

As an aside, one of my goals was in 2016 was to cast the whole line with a 905. I know, a goal of very little value on the water but a goal nonetheless. I accomplished it with the Radian 905 and the Rio Gold. Now I never have to cast that far again!
Now you have to buy a MED and cast that whole thing. ;)

I really like the Perception for an all around line for the Radian. It does everything well.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm going with Gold, perhaps the InTouch version for Radian. However, I have no Barrio lines in my collection to try, I want to learn more about them. One of their tapers has the longer head and elongated rear taper like Gold and MEDT, a feature I find invaluable for dry flies.

joerg66

Reaction score
For calm days and dry flies I prefer a SA VPT.
For windy days or bigger flies a like a rio perception.

boisker

Reaction score
I've been using Airflo super dri exceed on my radian so far so good
This shows that for all the advice you'll only really know by trying differing lines yourself.
I found the exceed too heavy for the radian. Obviously it cast fine, but it just 'felt' too much and dulled the rod a bit for me.
It wasn't on the 5w radian, so perhaps that's different, but on the 4 I preferred the super dry elite, which is lighter. I've since got rid of that and tried the gold this season but will probably settle of the barrio gt90 next season which is lighter than all the above.

el jefe

Reaction score
This shows that for all the advice you'll only really know by trying differing lines yourself.
I found the exceed too heavy for the radian. Obviously it cast fine, but it just 'felt' too much and dulled the rod a bit for me.
It wasn't on the 5w radian, so perhaps that's different, but on the 4 I preferred the super dry elite, which is lighter. I've since got rid of that and tried the gold this season but will probably settle of the barrio gt90 next season which is lighter than all the above.
I also use the Elite, on my 906 Radian. I have an Xceed ready to try, but haven't felt the need.

gidva

Reaction score
Did not like the elite on my radian gave it to my dad he did not like it either way too light. Using a distance pro now but seems like the Radian likes the triangle wulf taper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I don't own a Radian so my observation is based on friends and the several I've included in cross comparison test casting.

This rod possesses a conundrum in line selection...I'm talking single, un-weighted dry flies here. Radian has a fairly fast taper with decent lower taper grunt that likes a little extra weight to access. Conversely, it has a softer flexing tip that does not want to be collapsed by over-lining. Recent Scott trout rods prior to Radian, S3 and S4, were among the few rods I've fished that actually preferred the SA GPX lines, they were designed using them. Many of you are aware of my distaste for the GPX taper; the way I formed this opinion is by fishing GPX on my S3#4 (4.5) as Scott instructed me to when I commented I could not find a line it liked.

So, depending on how and at what distances one fishes Radian, different lines are applicable. Hence the diversity of opinions expressed in this tread. Since Radian is not as sharp reflexed as some of the Sage and Loomis rods, I'm inclined to go with a conventional braided core rather than a non-stretch cored line on it. My partner, Dillon, fishes Radian#6 a lot and we have decided standard Gold is best fishing dry flies with it. It loads Radian better than slightly lighter M.EDT and is not so aggressive or heavy as to dull its tip. We have not tried it but I have a friend who likes SA VPT on it too, it has a Wulffian long front taper good for no overload in close but with enough mass behind it to bend the lower rod for more distance and is not as over-weighted as the TT lines.

So, while I like to believe there is an objectively "correct" line match-up for most rods...sometimes with a line I do not otherwise like the taper of...Radian, by design, proves elusive.

willyf

Reaction score
So, while I like to believe there is an objectively "correct" line match-up for most rods...sometimes with a line I do not otherwise like the taper of...Radian, by design, proves elusive.
I see the Radian as a really great all around rod, and I think that's why it works well with so many different lines.

I own the 906, and I've fished it with quite a few lines. Rio Perception fishes great on it (though I've given it up because those lines just don't last for me). So does a 200 grain Orvis Hydros HD Depth Charge. Rio Gold is good too. And for distance work, the 5 weight MED is excellent. The 5 weight Anadro (which is actually a 7 weight line) is an amazing indicator nymphing and floating line streamer line for it.

I don't have much experience beyond lawn casting the 905, but I'd imagine that it is similar in what lines it can handle well.

boisker

Reaction score
So as an update...
I've had the barrio gt90 on my 4w radian for a couple of weeks and really love it...
Some may find it a bit light real close in but it works well for me, get a bit more line out and it sings:D
I had a gold on it prior and was starting to feel it was a tad heavy with 40' of line out, that's being real picky it still matched very well...
But gotta say after 2 weeks I'm starting to think the gt90 is the one for me.
I think many will prefer the gold and feel the rod flexing more, but I'm starting to realise I like a lighter line:)