Wading Boots/Shoes

sesro1978

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm looking to purchase a new pair of wading boots/shoes and need suggestions. I'm hoping to spend around $100.00 or less and do quite a bit of fishing in rocky streams in the northeast. So far I've been looking at the Orvis Ultra-light wading boots and the Orvis wading shoes (new this year I think)...

Any help in finding a good pair would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sesro1978

yatesd

Reaction score

bmorejoe

Reaction score
I second the Chota boots. Not only comfortable and well-made, they have a terrific speed lacing setup. You'll always be the first in your group to the stream.

sesro1978

Reaction score
The Simms Freestone boots are tough as hell and pretty cheap too.
I ended up picking up a pair of LL Bean Ultralight II (Aquastealth with studs); the price seemed decent, the felt supportive around the ankles and Bean's is pretty close to my house so if something goes "awry" - well, can't beat the guarantee :)

Thanks all!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have a question for FISHN50 and bmorejoe about the Chota STL Plus studded boots. I have read some reviews about the STL boot and people seem to like them. I have always stayed away from any shoe/boot that didn't have metal eyelets of some kind. The STL use a cloth eyelet and that seems to be a fault with the design. I just don't see them lasting as long as the rest of the boot. I know it is fast and I am not questioning how well they work but how long they will last. What do you guys think? Have you had yours long enough to know how long they are going to wear. I had one pair of tennis shoes with this style of eyelet and the eyelet failed long before the shoe was worn out.

Frank

Chota STL Plus Studded Boots

FISHN50

Reaction score
Hi Frank
The laces are elastic & you have a push button slider doohickey to tighten them up so your never pulling them really tight. I can see where it can be a problem, but I'm on my second pair (only because I left the first pair home when I went on a trip & had to pick up the second pair in Colorado) & I use them 100+ days a year & have no trouble with the loops. I've replaced the elastic laces a few times with no trouble. The only trouble I have with them is that when they dry out they are a bear to put on over felt booties unless you soak them down to soften them up as they dry hard.

Neil

BigCliff

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have a question for FISHN50 and bmorejoe about the Chota STL Plus studded boots. I have read some reviews about the STL boot and people seem to like them. I have always stayed away from any shoe/boot that didn't have metal eyelets of some kind. The STL use a cloth eyelet and that seems to be a fault with the design. I just don't see them lasting as long as the rest of the boot. I know it is fast and I am not questioning how well they work but how long they will last. What do you guys think? Have you had yours long enough to know how long they are going to wear. I had one pair of tennis shoes with this style of eyelet and the eyelet failed long before the shoe was worn out.

Frank
Frank I can definitely identify with your take on this. If one of those nylon webbing loops fails, the boots will never really lace up right again. While the metal eyelets have potential to cause problems too (errant metal thrashes the lace to the point of failure), one could then mash down the metal and replace the laces. But a failed nylon loop is no good at all.

I can identify because I was working at a Patagonia FF boot dealer when they had a bad run of boots with pull on loops that would frequently pull out under normal duty. I still use any achilles area loop gingerly.

BlueDun

Reaction score
The other problem I would be concerned about with the Chotas is that the laces are elastic. The lacing design looks similar to the Keen sandals that I wear. After several months, the elastic stretches and it becomes impossible to get the same degree of tightness that I had when I first purchased them.

Rudolf

Reaction score
I also have the Chota boots for some four years now, they are great! Putting them on is a breeze. No problems with the laces or the eyelets. I don't do 100+ days, but where I fish is a lot of rocks and I don't see any damage. The studs, however, must be replaced soon.

bmorejoe

Reaction score
Frank,
I suppose the elastic laces and nylon eyelets could wear out at some point but hasn't been an issue for me after 3 years with the boots. If I were to guess, the elasticity of the laces would be a problem earlier, but by then all the benefits of the boot (comfort, speed, traction, etc) would have been realized. Good luck with the decision.
Joe

FISHN50

Reaction score
Well the Chota's bit the dust. I caught the heel under a rock & the whole sole came off. There is a metal instep in them & that was rusted & the material around it was deterioated. I called Chota & they said no warrenty, so I'm done with them. I picked up a pair of LL Bean's studded aquastealth boots & will give a report when I try them out. I'm starting to get more & more fishing stuff from LL Bean because of their warranty. & I pass the Freeport store a few times a year on the way to GLS.

FISHN50

Reaction score
With all the microbes etc that you can move from watershed to watershed, I wanted to avoid felt if I could. I finally found these in size 14 which is actually 1 size larger than my shoe size but they fit OK. I also am a firm believer in studs as they've saved my butt a few times.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
I have a pair of Korkers Konvertibles, which feature interchangeable soles that (if you are more flexible than I am) can actually be changed while the boot is left on. Frankly, the ability to change soles from, say, a lug sole for lengthy walking on trails to get away from the crowd, then changing the sole to a studded felt or Acquastealth (or whatever you prefer of their several other soles) when you get to the water means I'd never think about another brand of wading shoe. Used to get tired of having to replace the entire boot when the felt wore out, or having to cobble up some way to replace the felt myself. Korkers makes several models of their interchangeable-sole wading boots, ranging from around $80 to double that.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Go with a studded rubber sole if you can find one in your price range. If they run a little more save some more money because they are worth it. They will not cake up with snow on ya like felts and the studs will hold you fast even in the upper Penobscot. I don't know where you are at exactly but if it snows and the rocks are slick as grease get rubber and studs! Check with L.L.Bean online they have them I think.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Fishn50,

Is this the Bean boot you got?

Bean Ultralight II Wading Boots with Aqua Stealth and studs.

I read your post about the Chota STL Plus boots. It seemed that you really liked then and used them a lot. How old were they when the sole failed? I assume they were out of warranty?

Frank

MikeG

Reaction score
Frank,

If you are interested in a good lasting boot where the lace system (meaning eyelets and laces will fail) look into Korkers. They make a specific wading boot called Korkers - Guide Wading Boot It uses a steel lacing system. It would probably last longer than most lacing systems as long as you would not use it in saltwater. I actually own a pair of korkers wading sandals. I love the interchangeable soles. One week I could be in the boundary waters canoeing and portaging with rubber sole sandals. The next week I could be in the streams of Wisconsin with a felt sole going after smallies and muskies. The following week I could be in the Bahamas sailing on a boat with friends, with non skid boat shoe soles. Korkers really make versatile wading shoes.