How many fish older bamboo fly rods?

Bruce

Reaction score
I’m just curious. How many of you fish older bamboo fly rods? I have thirty-eight older bamboo fly rods that I have collected over the years, starting back in the 1950’s, including some pretty good collectibles. I have many of the new powerful fly rods that I love to fish, but I find myself more and more taking one of my old bamboo rods to the stream. I don’t know if it’s a nostalgic thing, or because I’m getting older and remembering a time long ago when things seemed so much simpler, or if I just enjoy the timeless classic beauty and feel of a fine crafted bamboo/cane rod. Right now I’m having trouble trying to decide between a 7 ½ foot, an 8 foot, and an 8 ½ foot, bamboo rod, each fitted with a Hardy LRH reel, to take along to Pine Creek in northern Pa this week. Wonderful decisions to have to deal with.

Joni

Reaction score
I have my Grandfathers old 9' Monty, but it is on the wall, no way would I try using that thing. It weighs a ton.
I do fish a 7' Battenkill 4wt that is a three piece with two tip. It is no longer made. I also have a Penns Creek 7' 4wt two piec two tip that I fish and a Tea Stick same length and weight but I recently sold it.
I am going to make an 8' 5 weight as soon as my friend gets his Bamboo Making gear up and running.

dshort

Reaction score
I don't have as many as you do but I pretty much fish with my bamboo rods all the time. The only exception is a creek I visit a lot where I throw big streamers. My 5 weight graphite slings those heavy flies a little better. Other than that it's the bamboo. My favorite is a 7.5 foot 5 weight Orvis 99 made in 1960. That rod casts like a dream. I also get a lot of use out of an 8.5 foot 5 weight Wright McGill Granger Favorite and a 9 foot 6 weight in the same model. My best guess on the 2 Grangers is that they were made in the mid 40's.

You can still pick up these classic production rods for less than a new top of the line graphite in most cases. I would love to find a little 7 foot 4 weight Wright McGill Granger in any model for small streams but so far that length has been out of my price range when I've seen them.

Kai

Reaction score
I don't own any older bamboo fly rods, but I fish newer bamboo fly rods almost exclusively any more. My graphite rods are now my "loaner" rods that my kids and friends use.

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
Bamboo are classic rods, but just too heavy for me!!
A flash back in time. But everything has changed. A 1955 Buick was a nice car back then, but now it just doesn't compare with the modern technology cars.
I've cast a boo rod and I find them way too heavy and way too slow action with antique rod connectors and very tip heavy!!
But they are a collectors item. Just like that old Buick, you probably still could catch a fish on a boo, but the wonderful experience to be had will be with a modern rod....... like a Helios!! IMHO

dshort

Reaction score
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. For me, I like the extra weight of a bamboo rod, and let's face it, we're talking about a couple of ounces here. The slower action suits my casting stroke and I enjoy being able to feel the rod load on my back cast. Newer doesn't always mean better. I tested out a Helios in the Orvis shop last week (they were giving away free hats if you cast the rod):) I hated it. It felt ok on long casts but it wouldn't load up for a short cast and it was just too fast for me. I'll take my 1960 Orvis bamboo over that 2008 Orvis Helios any day.

wtex50

Reaction score
I fish older bamboo about 80% of the time...I only have 4 though - a Granger Champion 8642 made in 1937, a WM Granger Special 8642 from the late 40's, a Phillipson Paragon 8.5 from early 50's and an old Heddon 7.5. I fish the Phillipson and the Granger Champion the most. I love the feedback of bamboo.

wtex50

Reaction score
Dshort - don't know if you knew this or not but Granger closed shop for the war....it was run by Phillipson after Mr Grangers death until they shut down. Grangers widow sold to WM after the war and they started production in 1946. Phillipson went out on his own about the same time. Most of the innovations at Granger were actually from Mr Phillipson and his tapers are pretty much the same. That's one of the reasons a Phillipson tip will fit a Granger and vice-versa. If your Wright Mcgill name on the rod runs away from the cork...it was most likely was made in the 40's.

DANIEL J.

Reaction score
Bruce, maybe you can help me identify a split bamboo pole that was just given to me. On the pole itself all I can make out is "whitney" I think it's a pretty vintage pole. An older lady I know gave it to me and told me it was her fathers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bonefish41

Reaction score
B.

The last time I used was 1988 Andros Island 13 Bonefish one day with Bonefish Ivan Neymour see pic...it's a 7 wt 8' two piece Wes Jordan 4 3/8 oz purchased 1967. Now I've been thinking it's time to return to my flyfishing roots the Little Manistee...and I'll use it there...

Attachments

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Bruce, maybe you can help me identify a split bamboo pole that was just given to me. On the pole itself all I can make out is "whitney" I think it's a pretty vintage pole. An older lady I know gave it to me and told me it was her fathers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Daniel,

Whitney Sporting Goods sold a Phillipson's bamboo rod called The Haywood Zephyr. I don't know that this is what you have but I would bet your rod was sold by Whitney Sporting Goods.

Frank

dshort

Reaction score
If your Wright Mcgill name on the rod runs away from the cork...it was most likely was made in the 40's.
I've read that somewhere before but had forgotten what it signified. I couldn't honestly remember, so I had to look. The script on the 8642 runs away from the grip and it runs toward the grip on my 9050. From what I found here Vintage_Rod_History that seems to mean that the 8642 was made between 46 and 50 and the 9050 probably in 51 or 52.

Kai

Reaction score
Bamboo are classic rods, but just too heavy for me!!
A flash back in time. But everything has changed. A 1955 Buick was a nice car back then, but now it just doesn't compare with the modern technology cars.
I've cast a boo rod and I find them way too heavy and way too slow action with antique rod connectors and very tip heavy!!
But they are a collectors item. Just like that old Buick, you probably still could catch a fish on a boo, but the wonderful experience to be had will be with a modern rod....... like a Helios!! IMHO
Just because the boo rod(s) you've cast felt too heavy or slow doesn't mean that they all feel that way. You clearly haven't cast a boo rod from Wayne Maca. Maca's rods are light and fast, with graphite ferules and are decidedly not tip heavy.

Bamboo rods have all sorts of actions, from fast to slow. They also have all sorts of weights depending on their construction. Some hollow built bamboo rods are very light.

I've fished top end ultra modern graphite and boron rods from Sage, Winston, Orvis, and Scott. I find that I prefer my boo rods. They transmit more casting feel of the line loading and unloading, which especially helps my back casts. I also find that they improve my presentation significantly. I prefer them for any situation in which I am using a 6 weight or lighter rod.

As for your old car/new car analogy, I prefer cars without the traction control, stability management, computer assisted steering, and all the other modern "improvements." When I'm driving, I want a connection to the car and the road that isn't filtered and modified through digital processors. That's probably why I also prefer the feel of bamboo. Casting a good bamboo rod heightens my awareness of what the line is doing and gives me a more direct connection with my casting stroke. It enhances the fishing experience for me.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m just curious. How many of you fish older bamboo fly rods? I have thirty-eight older bamboo fly rods that I have collected over the years, starting back in the 1950’s, including some pretty good collectibles. I have many of the new powerful fly rods that I love to fish, but I find myself more and more taking one of my old bamboo rods to the stream. I don’t know if it’s a nostalgic thing, or because I’m getting older and remembering a time long ago when things seemed so much simpler, or if I just enjoy the timeless classic beauty and feel of a fine crafted bamboo/cane rod. Right now I’m having trouble trying to decide between a 7 ½ foot, an 8 foot, and an 8 ½ foot, bamboo rod, each fitted with a Hardy LRH reel, to take along to Pine Creek in northern Pa this week. Wonderful decisions to have to deal with.
Take the long one. Pine Creek is a big one anywhere else it would be called a river.

I fish a 1964 8'6" 8wt. Orvis Lt. Salmon with a 4" extension butt for Silvers here. I own three other cane rods and love them all. I use the wood for Trout and light Salmon but if your risking anything in the 15lb and over class take the graphite sticks.

Have fun at Pine.

ezamora

Reaction score
"But everything has changed. A 1955 Buick was a nice car back then, but now it just doesn't compare with the modern technology cars.
I've cast a boo rod and I find them way too heavy and way too slow action with antique rod connectors and very tip heavy!!"

you're selling modern bamboo rods, and even many of the older tapers, way too short. bamboo rods come in all flavors. you need to FISH a nice bamboo rod. there's hardly a comparison between a modern graphite and a modern bamboo but the differences may surprise you or anyone giving them a chance. tip heavy? there are some that are designed that way, but many MANY more which are not. i've fished a 6611 dickerson taper and dickerson is long dead but it was an extremely sweet rod.

i don't fish an older bamboo rod, but i will be fishing a modern repro of a very old taper this season.

eric
fresno, ca.

dshort

Reaction score
Good point. I think it's important to remember that bamboo was basically the only game in town for decades. Consequently, rods of all types were produced that ranged from very good to not so great. The same way a new graphite rod bought at K-Mart probably doesn't compare to a high end Sage or Orvis....a vintage Montague or South Bend doesn't compare very well with a Granger, Phillipson or Orvis bamboo (with some exceptions of course). So, yes try casting one of the better production bamboo rods and see if you still feel the same way.

jclampwork88

Reaction score
I'd like to get one, but haven't yet. Does anyone know where a good place to get one is?

John

Kai

Reaction score
I'd like to get one, but haven't yet. Does anyone know where a good place to get one is?

John

If you want to buy one already made, you might try here:

Bamboo Inventory

Codella has a stock of rods to choose from.

If you don't mind waiting, you can get a custom rod, there are a number of places you can look.

For any custom rod, you are going to wait between 6 months and 5 years, with an average wait between 12 and 18 months. Some of the makers with really long waiting lists are 5 years out.

J.E. Arguello Index Page (beautiful rods, wait time of under 12months.)

"Denver" Dave Collyer DENVERDAVE.NET (wait time of under 12 months, with mortised butt rods that are uniquely beautiful)

Tom Nigro/Spring Creek Welcome to Spring Creek Rods (wait time of under 12 months, specializes in quads and rectangle quads)

Wayne Maca/Beaverhead Rods Beaverhead Rods - Ruby Valley Inn (wait time of 18 months; creates a uniquely "high tech" monocoque bamboo rod)

Chris Raine/Dunsmuir Welcome to the Dunsmuir Rod Company site (12-18 month wait, specializes in quads)

James Reams James Reams Bamboo Fly Rods (3+ year wait)

Mike Clark/South Creek Hand Made Custom Bamboo Fly Fishing Rods and Reels By Michael D Clark - South Creek LTD (5 year waiting list; top end price too)

Nick Taransky N A Taransky Bamboo Rods: Split Cane Fly Rods handcrafted in Australia (12 month wait, beautiful, unique rods from an Australian craftsman at a reasonable price)

A.J. Thramer A.J. Thramer Bamboo Rods - Quality and Value Since 1981 some reasonably priced rods with a reasonable wait time too.

Chris Bogart, Shenendoah Rods Shenandoah Rods - Custom Bamboo Fly Rods
His "Ultra" series is amazing. About a 4 month wait.

Joni

Reaction score
I would recommend putting them in your hand first. A lot of the older rods like HI, Monty and some of the Granger are very old school, inexpensive and a good reason they are. They were HEAVY, which back when they were made was no big deal cause there wasn't much choice.
I would recommend personally, Highland Mills (which Cabela is n ow carrying)
Some of the Local boys make great sticks for a real decent price. There is also Diamondback which are great, I even have a brand new 7' 4wt if interested. Elkhorn also has bamboo, but I thought they were a big clubbish.
Not all bamboo rods are created equal, so be careful. There is a lot of junk. People buy the 9' and put handle on the middle section and now it is 6' that they call Banty...THEY ARE NOT! They are just shorten rods and the action to me is terrible, but I have been spoiled.

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
Joni,
The one boo rod I tried was a cheapo, probably made by a first time rod builder using cheap parts...... and it was terrible to cast!
I researched this and found even in my Orvis catalog they have bamboo rods from $1295 to $3500. I guess these rods are spectacular to fish with.
I watched a video called "Trout Grass" and the bamboo they use for the top shelf rods comes from a China forest where they grow wild. The bamboo guy searches through thousands of sticks to get the ones for his rods. Then they dry them and use high tech glues to make the split bamboo rods. These rods have the super guides and super cork.
Didn't mean to say that the rods you guys use are lousy! The one I used was a '55 Buick, but I know there are great boo rods also.
I can't afford a $3500 rod, so I'll have to stay with graphite for now.
A friend told me about $1300 Silk line is best on a $3500 boo rod......... maybe so, but 5 grand is getting pricey.