"California Fly Fishing Open" - this Saturday in Kernville

yikes

Reaction score
This Saturday 9/23 is the first annual "California Fly Fishing Open" contest. Previously this had been an intramural contest between So Cal fly Fishing clubs, but it is now open to anyone who can assemble a team of 5. The day includes contests, prizes, BBQ and bands. Get there Friday night and enter the poker tournament!
Proceeds go to Casting For Recovery and Project Healing Waters.

More info and rules can be found here.

yikes

Reaction score
Yes, PCC has a 5 person team, and a few others from PCC are just gonna hang out and fish tomorrow above the bridge.
In the previous intramural years, it was almost a foregone conclusion that the hometown club (Sierra Pacific Flyfishers) would typically take first place, based on their local knowledge. We came in a close second last year due to one of us landing a 21"+ wild rainbow.

With all the high flows of this past season, I'd like to think that conditions have changed enough such that everyone, including locals AND Christian Bale, is learning the river as if for the first time.

And yes, the next time I see local guide Guy Jeans, I'll put on a hayseed accent and yell, "hey 'Hollywood', are you now a 'casting director'?".