What fly line to buy

freeze69

Reaction score
:confused: Have finally gotten tired of the cheap fly line that came with my beginner set. Both me and my fishing partner are looking at new line. (to much memory) Mine is worse than his. Been looking at the cortland line. I've read the reviews on the forum and am a little confused on which line would be best for me. I fish mainly for bluegill with it. The rod is a 8 ft 5-6wt. I understand the different titles for the line wf, dt, & level. The problem is all the varieties in one class of line. Take the cortland 555 class there's 5 different ones on cabelas web site that are in my weight range. How do I know which one is right for me?

dougm

Reaction score
Freeze,

Both Cortland, Scientific Anglers and Rio make excellent lines ... The reason for the different flavors is to try to satisfy the many appetites of fly fishers. You've already hit upon one of the reasons: your problem with line memory isn't a problem down south; in fact, few of us down in these waters would even consider throwing a line that would work perfectly for you.

You didn't mention the rod maker's name or the action, so I will assume it is a moderately fast graphite with fiberglass scrim.

In the cooler waters of the North, the Sci-Anglers GPX is a an excellent general purpose line; Cortland has one matching the GPX in their 555 and/or 444 lines ... The real issue, however, is what you want the line to do in fishing your waters. Frankly, I would recommend the Cortland's Sylk simple because you are not that far along in fly fishing. It has no memory at all and a composition that will feel good to you ... Since you do not have to worry about long casting, I would suggest a 5-weight, double-taper. It will easily give you 60-foot cast with almost anyone's rod. Don't for a minute believe that double-tapers are a thing of the past -- the are not!

If you have more information available, I will be happy to make a more specific response

Doug

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Absolutely... You can't go wrong with any of Cortland's premium fly lines. If you want to try one let me know... I'll pay the shipping.

freeze69

Reaction score
As for the rod manufacturer it's just a el-cheapy South Bend Royal Coachmen. Just bought it as a beginner kit at Walmart one night. Like I said in my post have been looking at the cortland line. Everything I've read seems good. Just so many choices and so new to the sport of flyfishing it's confusing. Going to talk to my fishing partner and probally order new line for both of us at one time.
As far as casting goes I've been averaging about 35 feet before the memory gets in the way. Have tried the tricks you've suggested and still there.

freeze69

Reaction score
Did some more checking and will take Mr. Macnair's advice on going with the Cortland Sylk. As for the offer from the full creel. I appreciate the offer although I didn't notice the Sylk on your website. If you have it and I over looked it please let me know. Hopefully if this line is as good as everything I've read it should make my el-cheapo perform better than what it does.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Steve has numerous lines that he hasnt listed on the site. I picked up an Airflow uniform sink from him a couple weeks ago and he doesnt even have that line listed. If it is by Courtland, he can get it for you..

freeze69

Reaction score
For some reason my computer is being a pain and won't let me bring up your site. Probally has to do with the storms that rolled through this morning. I'll say this much though. Once I do order the new line I'll be ordering it from your store. I would rather deal with someone on this matter that knows what they're talking about than to deal with cabelas or bassproshops. Only other option would be to see if one of my local bait stores could order it and they'd probally order it from the same place. Will be getting in contact with you on this.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Thanks!!! I'll be looking forward to your order. I'll do everything that I can to help.

Also... you can place an order by phone if you want. Just call us at (903) 520-1930.

Thanks,
Steve

dougm

Reaction score
Freeze,

The time will come when you will outgrow your beginner's rod ... but you will never outgrow the Sylk DT 5-weight. The 5-weight has always been considered the "trout rod," and for good reason ... it acquits itself well against our finny friends as long as the handler knows how to fight a fish.

The DT is the best choice, by far, for those requiring a line that will roll cast efficiently and effectively. More than that it will mend better than a WF and if you wanted more, near the end of its career, simply reverse it and start all over again.

Given reasonable care, the Sylk will last you for more years than you can imagine...

As for your casting skills ... I am unsure whether you downloaded "Excerpts." If you did, do not make the mistake of reading a passage and then trying to put it into practice the next day. Instead, take a copy with you outside to the practice green. When the cast fails to do what it is supposed to do -- stop! Using the reference at hand, analyze your error and find what you did that I said not to do.

I hasten to add that you will find it hard to find a better shop to acquire your fly fishing goodies then the prices offered by The Full Creel.

Comeback with your questions ... and please call me Doug.

freeze69

Reaction score
Doug yes I did download the excerpts and printed it out and went outside. Some of the exercises I found kind of hard because of a slight wrist injury/carpal tunnel. For the most part though I must say that the exercises and the steps that you recommended helped out greatly. Before your steps I was lucky to get out 20ft on a good cast with a 5 mph tail wind. Getting about a 35 to 40 foot cast now as long as the memory doesn't get in the way. Was getting real frustrated with that problem and that's why I decided to ask about the new line. As far as the beginner rod and reel I realize that I will outgrow it and want something better. I just didn't want to jump into a expensive rod and reel and then realize that I either didn't like fly-fishing or couldn't do it. But when I do get ready to step up to a nicer set-up this will be the first place I'll go for advice. Just want to add that because of all the nice people on here and the wonderfull support I just upgraded to the premium membership status. Never would've done it unless I thought that it was worth it. Great support and advice my thanks to all of you. :thumbsup:

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats great! Now you are eligible to win this outfit! Wouldn't that be great if you won?

I am wishing you luck!

dougm

Reaction score
Freeze ... You are more than welcome ... If I can help in the future, give me a yell.

Doug

freeze69

Reaction score
Would be nice to win but not holding my breathe. Especially since a fishing buddy at work is trying to talk me into going trout and salmon fishing with him sometime next month or so.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
If it were me... it wouldn't take much talking. If you have the chance... go!!!

freeze69

Reaction score
Trust me never turn down a chance to go fishing. Just never fished for trout before. Been salmon fishing once with a friends equipment.(wasn't a planned trip) That was a total disaster between bad knots and junk reels lost both fish. I don't think that the 5-6wt rod would hold up to a salmon but a trout shouldn't be a problem I hope. The only thing that would stop me from going would be the wife.(horse show or something else to do with the horses) Will definetly let you know if I go and how I do.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
5-6 is plenty rod for trout. I favor a 4wt for most os my trout fishing. But I always take a 5wt as well. Incase there is wind..

This trout was taken on a 4wt.

23" Strawberry Reservoir Rainbow... fun fun