Loops, Leader "Butt" & Line to Leader Help

pneumatic

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the prefab leader loop that came on my fly line so I am going to get rid of it. While I do like Frank's handmade loop, I want to try something a little less involved before doing that much.

I've heard that a mono butt section can be tied directly to the fly line and provide a loop for the leader. I like the idea of keeping loops out of the fly line material so I really want to try this.

My questions are as follows:

1) What sort of line should I use for this butt section? Mono seems to be the old standby but I am willing to try other stuff based on better casting qualities.

2) What weight? Some people seem to use 20lbs mono but I have heard of 40lbs and everything in between. I am running a 6wt rod with weight forward line. I've heard the heavier stuff helps punch through the wind but haven't heard how this affects turnover.

3) Knot - fly line to the butt section - nail knot or albright or something else?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi pneumatic

I've heard that a mono butt section can be tied directly to the fly line and provide a loop for the leader. I like the idea of keeping loops out of the fly line material so I really want to try this.

My questions are as follows:

1) What sort of line should I use for this butt section? Mono seems to be the old standby but I am willing to try other stuff based on better casting qualities.

I think you will find mono to be the best. I use red Amnesia.

2) What weight? Some people seem to use 20lbs mono but I have heard of 40lbs and everything in between. I am running a 6wt rod with weight forward line. I've heard the heavier stuff helps punch through the wind but haven't heard how this affects turnover.

I have always used Amnesia but other mono will work. For a 6wt 25lb should work OK. Here is what I do. I look at the diameter of the butt section of the leaders I intend to use the most and size my loop mono 2 or 3 thousands larger.

3) Knot - fly line to the butt section - nail knot or albright or something else?

I started using a nail knot and it works good. Since the Tie-Fast tool came on the market that is what I use. It is much easier and quicker than the Nail Knot. You need to seal the end of the fly line after you cut off the factory loop. I like to open the end slightly with a pointed tooth pick or the back end of a needle. Just make an indent into the tip and put on a drop of Super Glue, Knot Sense or Pliobond. You can cover the knot with Pliobond or leave it bare. I like to cover with something in case you pulled the knot so tight that it broke through the finish of the fly line.

Tie-Fast Tool

After you have fasten the mono to your line you need to tie a Perfection Loop or Non-Slip Mono Knot in the end of the line. I line to have about six inches from the fly line tip to the tip of the loop.

How to tie a Perfection Loop. Make sure when the knot is complete that the tag end is 90 degrees to the main line. If it isn't you didn't tie it correctly.

How to tie a Non-Slip mono knot.

Frank

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
Hey Frank, i also wanted to do this. Do you happen to have a picture of this setup so i can take a look at it.

Jason

pneumatic

Reaction score
Frank - if you don't have a pic, then certainly don't worry about it (you help much more than enough, as is) - I will post a photo of my setup once I am done with it and you can just give me a thumbs-up or down.

Also - thanks for everything. You should write a book or something.