seating your ferrules

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
When you guys put together your rods what method do you use to make sure they don't come apart and your rod breaks. Do you use wax(what type?), no wax, tape, or something else.

I know this is a big concern for people with many piece rods.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
When you guys put together your rods what method do you use to make sure they don't come apart and your rod breaks. Do you use wax(what type?), no wax, tape, or something else.

I know this is a big concern for people with many piece rods.
Funny you asked - I've had the same questions and just finished researching them out. While some rod manufacturers suggest wax for ferrule lubrication, others say that's the worst thing you can use, since it tends to attract grit which can scratch the graphite causing stress points potentially breaking the rod and in any case wax build-up can distort the ferrule clearances stressing the female ferrule and possibly cracking it under strain. From what I've read, the consensus seems to be to use lubricants specifically designed for ferrules like U-40 or Renzetti Ferrule Lubes.

As additional protection for keeping the rod sections from coming apart under casting leverage, most of the thought on this seems to come from the Spey casters, since the combination of two hands and longer rods results in greater leverage on the rod ferrule joints with a greater likelihood of ferrule slippage and separation during a heavy cast. The standard school of thought there seems to be to use electric tape (3M All Season recommended because of less likelihood of tape residue damaging the rod finish) wrapped around each ferrule joint. If done carefully, the tape can be re-wound and re-used, cutting down further on possible rod finish damage which is increased each time the tape is completely removed. The second and more recent method for preventing ferrule joint separation is by using short sections of surgical latex tubing to slightly stretch-fit over each ferrule joint much like a compression bandage. When not in use, the tubing can be rolled back over the female ferrule, to be rolled back down again over the male ferrule section when the rod is next re-assembled.

I am in the process of trying to remove the wax from my rods' ferrules (any suggestions much appreciated!) and coating them with U-40 Ferrule Lube, as well as adding short latex tubing sections for preventing ferrule slippage, for a fly-fishing trip I have planned for mid-July, and I'll report back on how well this new set-up worked when I get back.

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
this all sounds ridiculous to me. I mean cant i fish by just putting my rod together. My family fly fishes and they don't use anything to put the ferrules together and they have never had anything break. I mean just by checking your ferrules every couple of casts or so should work shouldn't it.

and i do mostly roll casting so wouldn't that make it less likely for the ferrules to come apart since there is not as much stress on the rod.

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
but if your have a 4 piece rod it might be a bigger deal than a 2 piece rod.

Joe D

Reaction score
Try putting your rod together with each section at a 90 degree angle to the other and turning them inline as you seat the sections. If your rod still gets loose you may want to try some ferule wax used sparingly. If you wax your ferule, you only need to do it once or twice a season, not every time you use the rod. Remember, less is more.

Keep in mind that temperature changes can cause the ferules to loosen, so if the problem seems to occur in the evening when it starts to cool down, or mid morning when it starts to warm up you might want to simply reseat your rod.

The other thing to watch is if you're casting like a nut.

If all else fails, you can try going through the process that Fly2Fish spelled out above.

Personally, I'd send the rod back to the manufacturer if ferule slippage became a nuisance. If it's a big box rod made in China or Korea your probably just out of luck.

wtex50

Reaction score
a quarter turn to seat the ferrules on my graphite rods...straight on (no turn) with my bamboo...I don't normally use ferrule wax except if I have a loose ferrule.. I will use wax to tighten it up. That really shouldn't be a problem with graphite though...happens more often with bamboo

FISHN50

Reaction score
I've always used a little nose grease when I put my rod together, & after it's together I'll grab the tip section lightly & tap the butt section on my boot toe a few times to insure it's tight...........
I've never had to do it but as long as we're on the subject , How do you separate a rod that has been stuck too tightly together. What's the best way to grab it & will heat & ice work???

Joe D

Reaction score
How do you separate a rod that has been stuck too tightly together. What's the best way to grab it & will heat & ice work???
What works for me is to hold the rod behind my knees with the my legs close together. Then I slowly and evenly move my knees out and pull the rod apart.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the "100% best solution" I suggested below is the closest we all have now to a perfect solution (unless someone else can come up with a better solution, which I haven't seen yet). For myself, I've always before followed Joe D's procedure with no problems, i.e., nose grease works great. However, the procedure I outlined below is really not much extra effort considering the cost of modern high-end fly rods, which is why I am now trying it out.

I'd also add that Joe D's procedure for freeing up frozen ferrule joints works equally well for frozen collapsible wading staff joints. The only thing I'd add is that the applicatiion of ice to the frozen joint before the behind-the-knees force application will enhance its effectiveness.

Thanks for your suggestions, Joe D.

Cowboy

Reaction score
I have been fly fishing for over 60 years and have always used nose grease. Never have had a problem with ferrules coming apart, either casting or breaking down. Sometimes the old way is the best way..

racine

Reaction score
I did the same search fly2fish did calling on Sage and Winston. Sage recommended sparing use of parafin or nothing while Winston recommended using nothing at all. I had to return a rod to Winston for a cracked ferrule that manifested as a joint that would not stay together after 1-2 casts. It also occured after landing 3 large (20-23" browns) in succession each taking 5-10 min. to land ( I had forgotten my net). I happened on some input on Ferrule lube ( U40) and did some further reading. I've used it on 4 of my rods (4,5 & 2 pc) and so far I've not seen any ferrules coming apart( 2 months now). I did not like the possibility of wax attracting sand and etching my graphite so I nixed that idea. I used the facial oil trick for the longest time but thought there would be a better alternative. BTW, U 40 isn't expensive.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Oddly, while as I mentioned below I've never yet had a problem with a rod ferrule seizing up, I have had a problem with a collapsible wading staff doing so. Racine, since you actually have some experience using U-40, do you think it would work on aluminum wading staff ferrules as well? I can say with experience that wax does not work well as a lubricant on aluminum wading staff ferrule joints, but perhaps that's because wax is recommended more for its slack space-filling capability rather than its lubricating effect. I do note that U-40 recommends its use on metal ferrules as well as graphite, stating that metal ferrules will require more frequent re-applications than non-metal ones.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I've cracked two ferrules when they came apart when I was casting. I think the best solution is to check the ferrules after every few hours of fishing. Also I started using ferrule wax. Now I'm not so reluctant to twist the ferrules tightly together. So far this seems to be working, but the jury is still out.

Randy

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I said this in another thread but with bamboo I use to run the male ferrule through my hair. Then rub the ferrule between my thumb and fingers.

Hey cowboy how are you doing. How far up my nose do I have to insert that ferrule?:)

Frank

racine

Reaction score
...I have had a problem with a collapsible wading staff doing so. Racine, since you actually have some experience using U-40, do you think it would work on aluminum wading staff ferrules as well? I can say with experience that wax does not work well as a lubricant on aluminum wading staff ferrule joints, but perhaps that's because wax is recommended more for its slack space-filling capability rather than its lubricating effect. I do note that U-40 recommends its use on metal ferrules as well as graphite, stating that metal ferrules will require more frequent re-applications than non-metal ones.
What have you got to lose? Try it and let us know. I know this, I haven't had a ferrule come loose since using the U40. It actually feels very tight but will pull free when I need it to. Your question is another reason I use wading staffs that screw tight together rather than ones that have an elastic to assemble. I've seen those poles get stuck between rocks and come apart when tugged.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
. . . Try it and let us know. . . Your question is another reason I use wading staffs that screw tight together rather than ones that have an elastic to assemble. I've seen those poles get stuck between rocks and come apart when tugged.
Racine, that's an interesting point about the advantage of screw-together wading staffs I hadn't considered. If you don't mind me asking, what model do you use?

I've got a trip to the San Juan/NM next week, so I'll check out how the U-40 works on my aluminum wading staff ferrules - that is, if I can figure out a way to get the wax off better than just wiping it off.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Racine makes a good point about the bungee cord type wading staffs. I have had the unit pull apart when I was learning how to use it. It is designed to operate in compression and they work well when used that way. I carry mine in its case on my wader belt. When I am fishing from my pontoon boat I have it at my side. If I stop to fish and wander away from the toon it is right there waiting to be used. I think if I was using one screwed together I might forget it or leave it in the toon thinking I won't need it. Then when I get into a spot that I need a staff, it is in the toon.

Frank