G.Loomis Eastfork vs. Orvis BK MA

9ason

Reaction score
I really like the Orvis Battenkill midarbor reels and have 2, but I don't have a reel for my 8 wt. rod, so I was thinking about getting one, or at least waiting a while to see if they will do their sales with a free spool or free line (which I got last time).

However, I have about $136 credit at Cabelas and looked at their G.Loomis Eastfork reels and thought they looked pretty good so I was wondering if they are good, and would it be worth the extra $50 to get one or should I wait for the Orvis? What kind of warranty does G.Loomis have and where are they made?

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

wtex50

Reaction score
Take a look at the Ross Cimmaron LA...It should be in that general price range, American made and a great reel. Cabelas sell them.

Joe D

Reaction score
I have to agree with you on the Orvis Mid Arbor, I have several of them and am quite happy with their performance and quality. The Loomis Eastfork is also a nice reel for the money. The Loomis is forged and machined, while the Orvis is machined.

The Ross Cimeron LA is a really good reel too, but it is around $100 more than the Orvis Battenkill MA.

If you've been happy with the reels you have then stick with them. There's a lot to be said about familiarity of use and maintenance.

Joe