Fall Fishing near Philadelphia

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey all,

I primarily fly fish these rivers: Ridley Creek, the Tulpehocken, and the west branch of the Upper Delaware River. This works fine for the spring. In the early summer, I plan to do a week out west. Once late summer hits, the water temps get to high for trout. Then this fall, the rivers just seem washed out. The Tully is at 700 cfs and the west branch is at 2000 cfs. I am looking for a new trout stream near Philadellphi, 3 hours max, that fishes well in the fall.

I don't mind that I don't do too much flyfishing in the fall as hunting picks up, but I still want to get out there once or twice before the holiday season. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

redietz

Reaction score
If you don't mind going out of state, Gunpowder Falls north of Baltimore is only about a two hour drive from Philadelphia, and fishes well all year. PM me if you want specific information.

bocianka1

Reaction score
I fish Ridley Creek most of the year as it's the closest to me, about 15 minutes away. The fishing has been really slow this summer and even up till now. they were supposed to stock it Oct. 4th, but this past week there wasn't any sign of the fish they put in. That doesn't bode well for my weekly fishing trips throughout the fall and winter. I'm hoping it was just an off day.

I 've been looking around as well, so i'm interested to see what else advice you get.

Locally, they stock Chester Creek, but i haven't been out there this fall to know if it will be good fishing.

I've heard good reports about some of the fishing up in the Poconos at Hickory Run as recently as this weekend. Hope that help. Tight lines.

cwb124

Reaction score
I think Valley Creek near King of Prussia is a trophy trout stream and should be half decent right about now. No lack of water around here, that's for sure.

redietz

Reaction score
It was too high to wade most of summer, but it hasn't been, it's been fishing quite well. As usual mostly smaller fish (average 8-10 inches) but plenty* of them, with a few larger ones thrown in. I know of several 20+ inch fish taken this year, probably because people have been throwing streamers in the high water.

* by "plenty" I mean that I consider 10 fish to be an average afternoon, 20 is a good day, and more than 30 a great day. Last year, I had 6 great days. More recently, our TU chapter had an informal one fly event. I only fished for an hour or so (wasn't feeling well) and caught 14. It wasn't enough to win.