Self guided wade fishing Florida Keys...HELP!

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
A buddy and I are in the planning stages of a self guided wade flyfishing trip to the Florida Keys. We intend to target bonefish although we will gladly take shots at tarpon and permit. Our scheduled trip is in the third week of April.

Any and all suggestions on fishing the flats will be greatly appreciated. Location of productive flats, tides, fly patterns, affordable lodging...all additional information will be helpful.

Thanks Forum!

:icon_idea :smile: :icon_idea

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi

Here is a site that will give you some information.

A self guided trip will be hit or miss. With out a guide and a flats boat you will be drastically limited. But, you still will catch some fish. I think you sights may be set a little high. I would consider the first trip as a learning experience.

One thing you might consider is to rent a kayak. There are kayak rentals along some of the beaches. That would give you more water to cover. You need to keep fairly close to shore so you don't get into trouble. Find a grass covered flat and just catch what is present. You have to know the tides and expect lots of wind.

You have a lot of time before the trip. To make it a sure thing why don't you save up a little extra money and hire a guide for one day. That will really up your chances at a bone. With out a flats boat don't expect to catch a Tarpon or Permit.

I have not made a trip like this so just keep that in mind. This information is just my thoughts about what you might encounter.

Frank

randyflycaster

Reaction score
About two years ago a fishing magazine - it maybe have been American Angler - ran an article on the subject. I actually saved the article, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else knows about it, or maybe you can track it down.

Randy

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
Thank you...that article would be great! Please contact me if you are able to track it down.

:icon_cool

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the article was in Saltwater Fly Fishing, which has since been merged with American Angler. If you call their
editorial office I think they can help you.

Randy

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
hi randy,

looked them up yesterday and back ordered 2 issues from 2007. there were articles in am angler and saltwater flyfishing in 07. keeping my fingers crossed...thanks again for the headz up!

barry

:icon_idea :smile: :icon_idea

randyflycaster

Reaction score
One thing I wonder about: Are there stingrays in the Keys? I wouldn't want to step on one.

Randy

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Just to echo what everyone else is saying, without question your best bet is to get a guide for at least a day. Two would be better, to get the bugs out, learn to spot and present flies to fish, and get some help with casting--- SW is a whole nuther ball game as far as casting goes, and tarpon will test your gear to the limits if you hook one. You can use the guide's equipment for them, and you'll be sight casting to fish with a 12 weight. You'll be paying for very specialized knowledge of tides, wind, temperature moon phase, and the local knowledge of fish movements. It's by far the best way to get a shot at tarpon. The end of April can also be pretty windy. One thing you might consider is booking some thing around Islamorada and planning to fish the flats- for bones or tarpon. In the event of wind, you could tuck into the Everglades to get out of it and look for laid up 100+ tarpon, baby tarpon to 60, and other fish like snook, snappers etc. It's an awesome experience. There are probably similar options or maybe even better ones in April if you have your heart set on one of the big 3 out of Key West but I'm not as familar with the fishing there

As far as DIY, you might want to adjust your expectations a bit. You MAY have a shot at bones, and there is always a possibility of permit. Tarpon would be a long shot, but you should be happy to throw at anything you see--- jacks, cuda, small sharks etc can be a lot of fun. Bahia Honda and Long Key State Parks have decent flats, and would be worth checking out. Try looking them up on google earth to get an idea of the lay out.

Another idea would be to rent a small boat at a place near Key West, or at Robbies Marina west of Islamorada where you can feed the "pet" tarpon to please the fish gods. It would be a Whaler type thing, not a flats skiff so you'll be limited to fishing channels and deeper water. From the boat you could throw into holes and catch a bunch of stuff, though most likely not bones permit or tarpon--- though it would be the best way to potentially ambush a tarpon on your own. Just try and get a handle on the etiquette in terms of other boats, don't anchor up in front of a flats skiff and screw up the path of fish, and don't expect to go out with a guide one day and park yourself in a rental in the same hole the next. Get a chart for the waters the day before you head out to figure out where to explore-- folks at the rental can point out some spots to try and potential trouble spots, as well as give you some ideas of tide movements ( don't get caught on a bar on a falling tide if you're in the back) and to give you an idea of the channels so you don't run up on a flat, or to pinpoint wrecks, points or humps on the ocean side and landmarks on shore.

In Florida you'll need to pick up a SW fishing license if you're fishing on your own wading or in a rental boat. (You're covered if you're fishing on a boat with a guide.) There are a lot of fly fishing shops down there. Two good ones are Saltwater Angler in Key West and Florida Keys Outfitters in Islamorada and if you want to do the guide thing you might want to consider booking well in advance through them. There is also a huge Bass Pro shop in Islamorada that's worth checking out, but the mojo is better at the fly shops.

As far as gear you want a lucky fishing hat, some spf, polarized sunglasses, and floating line for the flats (add a full sink on a separate spool if you want to rent a boat and poke around out front in the ocean to fish over humps.) and a bunch of flies. You can go crazy with them, but a good all place to start might include some size 1 clousers (tan, chartreuse), and 1/0 deceivers a heavy 3/0 rabbit strip thing for dredging deep water holes, a couple of 2/0 poppers or crease flies as general searching stuff, some 3/0 red and white seaducers for sharks (with some tieable wire leader). Those patterns would cover you for a lot of different things in SW pretty much anywhere. Add some specialized stuff like tan merkins (Del Brown's Permit Fly) in size 2 and 1/0, crittery looking stuff like size 2 heavily weighted white and pink Puffs, and moderately weighted greenish Kwans, anything by Borski in tans and browns for bones and permit in size 2, and some tarpon patterns like toads, and key style ties like Cockaroach, Sand Devil, White Lightening, and Apte 2 in 2/0.

An assortment like that would cover a lot of different situations over different depths, over different bottom colors (light stuff over light bottoms dark over dark as a general rule), and cover you for a wide range of fish on the flats, in back country, and in open water as well as give you a reasonable shot at any bones, permit or tarpon you might run into.

Hope this helps, Good luck.
peregrines

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
peregrines,

wow...thank you for the info...i was unaware of the fishing license issue. i appreciate the info about the flyfishing shops...we will certainly stop in there early to get the headz up and purchase whatever licenses are necessary.

i have fished many beautiful flats from the bermuda to belize. i have also fished with many guides. most are friendly and helpful although i have experienced a couple of shouters.

i see the keys as another frontier to test my skills.

thanks again...i can use all the help i can get!

barry

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
Thanks Randy...I found that article in American Angler 2007...great article containing flats locations, fly patterns, tackle shops and lodging.

Anyone have any information regarding Florida fishing license requirements?

Also looking for tips on shooting heads. I plan to fish my 8 weight rod with bonefish floating line and I want to load my extra spool with a sinking shooting head and running line for fishing dropoffs and holes.

Thanks all!

Barry

:icon_ques

peregrines

Reaction score
Florida Nonresident Saltwater Fishing Licenses

Nonresident Annual Saltwater Fishing $47.00
Nonresident 3-Day Saltwater Fishing $17.00
Nonresident 7-Day Saltwater Fishing $30.00

You can buy it online , or through any tackle shop down there. Here’s a link:
LICENSE AND PERMIT REQUIREMENTS

Note that the SW license is just for SW, you’d need a FW license to fish FW.

Check season, regs etc if you plan to keep fish—some like snook can be complicated with slot limits etc, and you may need a special tag to keep them (snook = 2 bucks)

If you fish with a guide, or on a charter or head boat boat etc you are covered under their license and don’t need one of your own. Some fishing piers and land owned by motel/lodges adjacent to the water may cover you to fish without a license on their property. Not sure if you need a special fishing permit to fish within the boundaries of Evergaldes NP (guides do) so check on that while you’re down there if you do some kayaking or rent your own boat etc, along with the boundaries and Park regs. (lots of problems with props scarring the bottom of flats down there from people on jet skis or gunning skiffs across flats and they watch for that stuff).

peregrines

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
peregrines,

thanks again...i believe we have the license issue covered! thanks for that link.

barry

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
Hello All,

We are quickly approaching our self guided flats fishing trip to the Florida Keys.

Just wanted to refresh this thread to see if anyone else has any information.

Thank you and tight lines!

Uni2uniknot

:icon_ques

peregrines

Reaction score
Good luck Uni, looking forward to your trip report. You should have a blast. Looking forward to your trip report!

Mark

bonefish41

Reaction score
Anne's Beach incoming low tide and be patient for at least three hours...get away from the crowd if any and move in as it rises...close to deeper water...

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
We will be staying very near Anne's beach...thank you kindly for the information!

Uni2uniknot

:fishing:

wjc

Reaction score
Uniknot,

Good luck with your trip Barry.

Here is probabably the best link on the web for tides.

Tide Location Selection for the Florida Keys Area

If you will be wading for bones, I would suggest oceanside flats very late in the evening, particularly as the tide is coming in on calm days. This tide will also provide very good daybreak fishing as well.

Long Key can be a good spot, towards the NE end on an outgoing tide when there is a pretty good flow, out from the lake. There is a boardwalk leading down to that area with a little bridge over the "brook". I have seen large bones in the past swimming under that bridge.

Wading there is extremely nasty, however, due to the silt buildup from the lake. From there all the way up and through the campground can be very good if camper commotion is not too vigorous. The wading gets very good in the campground area, though there are potholes in many places from those damn low tide treasure hunters that dont fill in their holes.

Keys bones are much spookier and more difficult to catch than carribean ones. They are also bigger. If you are fishing near dark, use larger flies than during the daylight. If fishing weeds in less than knee deep water, give a long slow strip as the fly lands so the fish see the fly, then let the fly settle. Stripping in bay grass is not a good idea, especially with fluorocarbon, as the leader moves the grass ahead of the fly.

There are rays everywhere down here but pose no problem. In fact, the more you see on the flats, the better the chances that bones will show up. Just wear wading shoes and shuffle along. If you decide to go for the muck at the long key flowage area, you might even want lace up, over the ankles, wading shoes as the rubber ones can get sucked off your feet.

Use darker flies over grass and lighter ones over lighter bottoms. If you are still checking this thread, let me know when you are coming.

Have a great trip.

Cheers,
Jim

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
Thanks again...Jim, got your PM...check your PM also.

I hope to have a productive trip and many photos to share when we get back.

Uni2

tatco

Reaction score
Hello, Just found this thread. I have fished the Islamorada area for the past few years and would offer you yet another "tip". At the bridges the tide will flow like a river. If you hit it right you can cast into the current and work a fly like a streamer. Good chance to blind cast to Tarpon. I like the bridge at Bud and Mary's. I cross the bridge heading towards key west. Right after you cross take the first turnoff south, it's really just a parking area. Walk back to the bridge, then out to the water. There is a spot that you can cast from and get out into the current. A sacting basket of some kind helps with line control. I'm heading down there in late May. Gonna first hit Biscane Bay for a little bone/red fishing from a kayak. Been doing a bit of research on this so give me a PM if your so inclined.