Cassette Fly Reels VS Conventional Fly Reels

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
How many on here use the Cassette Style Fly reels, Example Hardy CLS, ASR or the Greys and Pflueger QRS Type ?

What do people feel the pro's and cons of the Cassette style are.

I own two Cassette Fly Reels being the Hardy CLS and Greys GTS 500 and am thinking of purchasing one more. I love the fact I can use one reel and have lines ready on the cassettes for various situations or rods. Seems to me I can now buy a machined cassette reel with a nice drag cheaper most other reels and not have to buy a spare spool or two. Just wondering why they have not become more popular than they seem to be.

Last edited:

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
If this topic has been beaten to death before let me know lol. Thought I'd get a few opinions.
I also have a original lamson guru 1.5 on a 3 weight that I love...would love to find an extra spool for.

Looking for opinions...pro's and cons. I figure if I have another Greys.QRS 5 to 8wt I have enough cassette type reel to do me for most of of my fishing rods 5 to 8wt, forever, So many lines and different set ups.

I am looking at the Pflueger QRS system I can get locally but may have picked up on distinct difference between it and the Greys....funny thing is here in Canada I can order the Greys reel from England cheaper than the Pflueger from the USA and they appear to be the same reel....although I think I picked up a distinct difference and I would bet the Greys is built in South Korea and the Pflueger in China...could be wrong but......

I would love to own a good Ross or Lamson or any good American built, Sweden too, reel but in Canada around me is hard to find high quality reel and when I do find one plenty are the cassette type out of Europe.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Not off topic at all, I'd have offered an opinion but haven't owned any. What I will say is that if you like them for personal use that's all that matters when you make the decision.

Ard

bumble54

Reaction score
Never had a cassette reel, I once bought 2 spare spools for one reel I had, still got the spools but the reel gave up long ago.
Cassette reels are popular with the competition guys.

huronfly

Reaction score
My first fly reel was a cassette type and one of the cassettes got stuck on to the reel, I tried everything I could to separate them but I ended up breaking the arbour in the process. I was pretty bummed as the 3 other cassettes I had were rendered useless... haven't had one that style since.

desmobob

Reaction score
I have one. It's the cheaper Greys model that was discontinued a while back. I do remember wanting one of the STH cassette reels when they came out many years ago but I never bought one. That lingering memory might be what influenced me to buy the Greys.

I bought it because it was marked down considerably and it ended up sitting on a shelf in the basement. Years later, I went on a fly rod buying spree and needed the reel. I also wanted another spool or two for it. It was a chore, but I finally found two more spools thanks to a kind gentlemen in England.

I've only actually used it a few times, but it's a very nice performer.

Tight lines,
Bob

Last edited:

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
Yes it seems they are not as popular here in North America. I love my Hardy CLS, the Greys GTS 500 is a much cheaper reel but the drag system for an 8wt is more than adequate. I recently came upon the Greys QRS then noticed that it is the same as the Pflueger although the Greys looks better to me...was thinking of buying one more cassette style and then a more traditional large reel if I get into more spey/switch rods. I guess not a huge following on these types of reels on here although their practicality is amazing. Most see it as just about how many lines can be used but for me its about how many different rods can utilized with the same reel,

However...my Lamson Guru 1.5 on my 3 wt is awesome and if I can't get another spool for the original I may have to purchase the newer version of one. Love the Made in USA/North America thing.

In certain parts of Canada we really get blocked to most of the variety of good fly reels which is a shame! We can mail order but the duty charges are brutal.

mike_r

Reaction score
The Canadian made, “Islander” reels are of excellent quality but were a bit pricey. Not sure if they are still in Production. I had an Orvis “Rocky Mountain” cassette style reel that was pretty bulletproof for a while and it never failed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

original cormorant

Reaction score
Here in the UK cassette reels are popular for loch-style fishing where competition anglers carry at least six different density lines and maybe different variations on tips and sinking profiles that might result in ten or more lines. Aside from the considerable cost advantage cassettes are more compact to store ready for use than spools.

I used to fish loch-style with a pair of rods set up with a pair of STH cassette reels (one machined, one cast). Following the failure of one of my STH reels I took the opportunity to change to large arbor reels and I now fish with a pair of Greys cassette reels (again one machined and one cast). It's worth considering buying a second compatible cassette reel as a way of buying extra cassettes.

It's horses for courses - if you expect to fish with more than two or three densities of line of the same weight then you'd be crazy not to use cassette reels.

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
Right now looking at the Greys or Pflueger QRS type that have the cassettes to handle up to 4 different weight lines on the same reel, Was thinking of getting the 5 to 8 weight version as I usually fish 5 weight and a 8 weight and on the 8 weight cassette I can get 100 yards backing and WF 8wt line.

With this one reel I can have many different line set up for my 5wt and my 8wt and if I ever buy a 6wt then just need another cassette of the size I want. Of course I would be done buying reels momentarily until I find the perfect large reel for a true switch rod/spey rod down the road........

So much gear...so little time:)

Jdcross

Reaction score
I have a Hardy Demon 9000 with two cassettes and a Snowbee 1112 with 4 cassettes.
Never had a problem with a fish on either of them.
I really like being able to have numerous lines spooled up with backing and change at will depending on conditions and the river.
They're never going to be collectible but they sure are usable.

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
Well I just ordered one more cassette type being the Greys QRS. Likely will be my last Cassette type as I should end up with 2 high quality ones and half decent one and this will cover a few different rods and line weights.

Next is to figure out what I want for a collector type reel I want to hand down to my future grandchildren. I'm thinking.......ahh so many possibilities lol.

burk48237

Reaction score
I use to rep Hardy and was very impressed with the Cassette reels. While I'm not sure I'd rig one for Tarpon or False Albacore (Hardys reel designer Howard Crofton didn't consider them SW everyday reels), they are great for about any FW quarry and light SW use. To me it was perfect for carrying a bunch of different streamer lines for stripping.

Blackstonefly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I actually Have two of the Pflueger Supreme QRS 2/3/4/5 Cartrige reels, These were made By Grey I was Told. First I would like to say that it is really a nice reel and have used them with no problems. I actually had purchased one of these reels on Sale for the purpose of comparing and testing out the two dozen or so assorted flylines I have. The Cartridge system made it so easy to just unscrew the thumbscrew and unlatch the locking clip,and then pop out the cartridge and snap and lock in a new one... I have culled my lines very easily that way and proceeded to use the reels many times fishing since then with no problems. They have a super smooth drag system perfect for small to Medium trout.... I Never tried these reels in the larger sizes But I would think they would perform similar.. The 4 Cartridges Included consist of two Regular arbor and two Large arbor Spools. (2 are just deeper to hold larger diameter line) mine is a 2345 model and I put on flylines from 3 to 6 with No Problem naturally the larger the line the less the backing... These are Aluminum and made damn well and for the price I have seen them for sale for are quite a bargain. I spooled my reels up with all my Oddball lines that I experiment with, Homemade Sink tips , Full Sinking, Straight Mono, etc, etc...… Well made and so far they worked perfect for me...The Only modification I have made on mine were to add a super thin nylon washer over the main stem so it had No Wobble at all. That worked perfect...… I would recommend this reel and for $90- $140 they are well worth it Mike

Attachments

bigal36

Reaction score
Yes it seems they are not as popular here in North America. I love my Hardy CLS, the Greys GTS 500 is a much cheaper reel but the drag system for an 8wt is more than adequate. I recently came upon the Greys QRS then noticed that it is the same as the Pflueger although the Greys looks better to me...was thinking of buying one more cassette style and then a more traditional large reel if I get into more spey/switch rods. I guess not a huge following on these types of reels on here although their practicality is amazing. Most see it as just about how many lines can be used but for me its about how many different rods can utilized with the same reel,

However...my Lamson Guru 1.5 on my 3 wt is awesome and if I can't get another spool for the original I may have to purchase the newer version of one. Love the Made in USA/North America thing.

In certain parts of Canada we really get blocked to most of the variety of good fly reels which is a shame! We can mail order but the duty charges are brutal.
I have been able to find Lamson reels and occasionally spare spools on ebay. Have been able to get them in various sizes at around half their original face value.

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
I am on the lookout for an original Lamson Guru 1.5 spool or tow. Love it on my 3 weight!

I have looked at the Pflueger QRS sold locally and as soon as I picked it up figured it was the same design as the Greys QRS. In internet photo's I noticed something different however and I ordered the Greys QRS from England. Cost me an extra $15 than the Pflueger locally but if i"m right there may me an upgrade to the Greys...will only know when I receive. If they have the same silky smooth drag of the other Greys and Hardy I own then very worth it. Will give an update when it arrives....likely a few weeks from know as I was too cheep to expedite the mail delivery.....it is frozen up here in Ontario right now lol

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
I have been able to find Lamson reels and occasionally spare spools on ebay. Have been able to get them in various sizes at around half their original face value.
Well I have my eye open for some spare Lamson Guru 1.5 spools but I live in Canada and it is cheaper for me to order off eBay from England and Australia than to bring in some items from the USA....CRAZY I agree but when I can order from England with no duty charged it is hard for me to buy online from the States. Silly as right next door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
Received my Greys QRS 5678 reel and it is the exact same as the Pflueger sold in North America. It is a good reel and I will use but wish I had purchased another Greys GTS 500 or Greys 700 if I could find one as the drag is smoother on the latter models. It is a great concept and a usable reel although the older model reels made in Korea did have noticeably higher quality. This is not to take away that it is a good reel for the price but found the drag not near as smooth as the Korean built reels from Greys a few years ago....also....not a fan of the plastic caps on drag and spool release on a nice looking aluminum reel. May use or sell ...looking for a Greys GTS700 789 but hard to find new now.
I do like the cassette system for different lines and rods on same reel although when I settle for my "rods for life" I will buy a Reel for life...traditional reel with spare spool or two.

Blackstonefly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi I purchased the 2345 Pflueger model Cassette reel this year that are made by Greys... They are in a Nice dark blue and I was quite surprised how well they are made. They have a nice Locking system, and colored push pins to indentify the type of line on the reel and the line weight. They sell a 2345 or a larger one I believe is a 5678 Its Funny But I like the Pflueger better than the Grey model reels.... They are pretty nicely made and the only thing I noticed on both models is that they have a little to much play (side to side wiggle on the spool..) I put in a super thin nylon washer and Bingo no more slop and works perfectly...... Great reel for the $120 or so There is one up now on Spey Pages SSnyder has a 5678 for sale $100 New The Hardy ASR reels are nice but Too Large a diameter and Heavy for me ...JMO Mike

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
Not a bad reel for the money agreed, but looking forward to Greys coming out with a higher end reel. JMO
I think the Greys GTS 500 and 700 obviously had more to them. The 4 weight cassette system is good but started into cassette reels with the Hardy CLS so maybe was spoiled.

Airflo now has two Cassette models out. Has anyone tried them?